Mr Sanchos vs Nachi Cocom: People Who Have Been There Recently.. Pros & Cons of both

sabri

While I am not flaming or attacking the victim here, and I do believe that this totally could, and does, happen.

I am giving some credibility to this cruiser's story.

I can hardly imagine anyone who wouldn't crush or dissolve a pill more than what is described.

Assuming that this story is accurate, I would have to think it was one of those very rare occurrances, especially at a place like Nachi.... do they not have the same owners and much of the same staff for many years?

I am much more worried about the alcohol. I am not sure any establishment in this area of Mexico is immune.

At least those that are not North American owned/operated/influenced.... who might pay more to bring in legit alcohol.

I have no expertise here... But, I have to wonder, based on what info is out there.

We are very interested in enjoying a day at Nachi Cocom!!!

But, if this is where we spend our day while at Cozumel, we will purchase a bottle of alcohol onboard, and order juices and simple virgin drinks.

But, if this is where we spend our day while at Cozumel, we will purchase a bottle of alcohol onboard, and order juices and simple virgin drinks.

Hi Wishing on a Star - I noticed you mentioned a few times buying a bottle of alcohol onboard and 'spiking' your virgin drinks at NC. I just wanted to point out that any alcohol you purchase on board will be held until debarkation, or possibly the night before debarkation. Prices at the on board duty free shop are decent, but it is for post-cruise consumption. Unless you're thinking of ordering a bar set-up for your room from the cruise line - then you shouldn't have any problem carrying off your bottle, but it will be way overpriced. Not trying to be a downer, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the stipulations that come with buying bottles of alcohol on board. :)

Thanks!

You can buy liquor and wine onboard, delivered to your cabin, for your own consumption. (Princess)

I am actually glad that, while full price, they are the half-sized bottles... (not talking individual mini-bar) because, bringing liquor onboard a cruise ship would def. be an issue! This way, we can either finish the bottle, or simply leave what small amount that we do not use.

I do think I will post a thread to see if there have been any issues with going onshore with an unopened small bottle.

I know that foods, and other things, are prohibited at customs, sometimes due to agricultural concerns. But I understand that people go ashore with unopened drinks/bottled water, and unopened, prepackaged, unregulated snacks, like crackers, that are not specifically prohibited.

How long is the cab ride from port to Mr. Sanchos - party of 12 needing transport - will their be vans available ?

When we were there both times there are various size cabs to transport. You may have to split up into 2 vans as I don't think there will be anything that large. It is only about 15-20 minute ride.

Thanks!

You can buy liquor and wine onboard, delivered to your cabin, for your own consumption. (Princess)

I am actually glad that, while full price, they are the half-sized bottles... (not talking individual mini-bar) because, bringing liquor onboard a cruise ship would def. be an issue! This way, we can either finish the bottle, or simply leave what small amount that we do not use.

I do think I will post a thread to see if there have been any issues with going onshore with an unopened small bottle.

I know that foods, and other things, are prohibited at customs, sometimes due to agricultural concerns. But I understand that people go ashore with unopened drinks/bottled water, and unopened, prepackaged, unregulated snacks, like crackers, that are not specifically prohibited.

Just a thought but why not just buy a small bottle at one of the duty free shops in port before hopping in the taxi. :whiskey-glass:

We are back from our cruise. Visited Nachi on Friday and had another great experience. We got there at a little after 10 ship time (9 local time) but there were already about 40 people there. We were led to a great spot in front of the second bar and restrooms that were added as requested. It probably filled up to about 100 people for the day which was the most that we've seen there. We had Joseph for our waiter (he's been there for 15 or 16 years). Had great weather for the day and the military was there using the dock to launch their boats and doing exercises at the abandoned building down the beach from Nachi. Liberty and Oasis were in port from RCI. Carnival had Dream there when we arrived and Magic showed up later. I think MSC Divina was at the downtown pier although I didn't speak to anyone at Nachi who was aboard that ship.

For my drinking experience...I mean experiment.... I started with a Margarita, then had 6+ (lost count) Dos Equis and then switched to Pina Colada's (3+) when we moved from the beach to the pool. Had nachos for appetizer and mixed fajitas for entree (both were great as always; fajitas come with a few pieces of chorizo that is wonderful). We left just before 4 ship time and I had a slight buzz maybe but that was all. Before leaving we spoke to Joseph about these reports and he got the manager out to talk to us. We asked if he had heard about any of this being said about their establishment. He said that he had not heard about it at all. He commented on how many years each of the staff has been there (he's been there 15 years, bartender 17 years, Manuel almost 20 years) and said that they have used the same liquor distributor the entire 15 years he has been there. He said other salesman come by but he trusts his guy because nothing has ever gone wrong. He said a few weeks ago some people came and brought marijuana with them and were smoking it on the beach and he had to go down and tell them it was illegal there and they needed to stop. He also told us that a few months ago a young lady that had recently got there seemed very out of sorts.... so they took steps to entercede after finding out that she did not know her traveling companion very well and he may have tampered with her drinks.

Based on our previous experiences and this one (total of 7 visits) I still wholeheartedly endorse Nachi. Seeing the same faces every time we visit gives us confidence in the beach club. It must be a good place to work and I would hate to see anything compromise the business they have built. I have yet to see any proof yet from these people who claimed to have been drugged. Did they contact local police? Seek medical help on the island or Ship? Alcohol can affect many people differently and the heat and humidity can add to those effects.

Again I go back to the 2 different story lines. The first is that there was prescription medication put into her food. If this did happen it may have been someone else messing with her... it reads like a bad mystery novel but with no apparent motive? I do believe for sure that she believes it happened that way but even she might admit that she didn't have her eye on the food all the way from the kitchen to her consuming it perhaps? The second story line that a few chimed in with seemed to be themed around having little to drink but powerful effects from it. These allegations came out of the woodwork after the reports from the mainland resorts surfaced and the first person posted about the drugs.. Before this the only really negative stuff I had ever seen anyone say about NC was that it was too quiet (looking for a party atmosphere) or they didn't like the food (ordered American food). In any case I did speak to the management which apparently is more than these others had bothered to do...

Thanks for coming back into the thread and giving your report - and also for taking time to speak to the manager about the drugging/tampering claims. The jury's still out (for me) on what happened to that person but like you, I tend to land on the side of not believing that Nachi (with long-standing employees and a limited amount of daily guests) would be in the business of drugging its guests with Xanax.

Excited to head to Nachi in April!

We are back from our cruise. Visited Nachi on Friday and had another great experience. We got there at a little after 10 ship time (9 local time) but there were already about 40 people there. We were led to a great spot in front of the second bar and restrooms that were added as requested. It probably filled up to about 100 people for the day which was the most that we've seen there. We had Joseph for our waiter (he's been there for 15 or 16 years). Had great weather for the day and the military was there using the dock to launch their boats and doing exercises at the abandoned building down the beach from Nachi. Liberty and Oasis were in port from RCI. Carnival had Dream there when we arrived and Magic showed up later. I think MSC Divina was at the downtown pier although I didn't speak to anyone at Nachi who was aboard that ship.

For my drinking experience...I mean experiment.... I started with a Margarita, then had 6+ (lost count) Dos Equis and then switched to Pina Colada's (3+) when we moved from the beach to the pool. Had nachos for appetizer and mixed fajitas for entree (both were great as always; fajitas come with a few pieces of chorizo that is wonderful). We left just before 4 ship time and I had a slight buzz maybe but that was all. Before leaving we spoke to Joseph about these reports and he got the manager out to talk to us. We asked if he had heard about any of this being said about their establishment. He said that he had not heard about it at all. He commented on how many years each of the staff has been there (he's been there 15 years, bartender 17 years, Manuel almost 20 years) and said that they have used the same liquor distributor the entire 15 years he has been there. He said other salesman come by but he trusts his guy because nothing has ever gone wrong. He said a few weeks ago some people came and brought marijuana with them and were smoking it on the beach and he had to go down and tell them it was illegal there and they needed to stop. He also told us that a few months ago a young lady that had recently got there seemed very out of sorts.... so they took steps to entercede after finding out that she did not know her traveling companion very well and he may have tampered with her drinks.

Based on our previous experiences and this one (total of 7 visits) I still wholeheartedly endorse Nachi. Seeing the same faces every time we visit gives us confidence in the beach club. It must be a good place to work and I would hate to see anything compromise the business they have built. I have yet to see any proof yet from these people who claimed to have been drugged. Did they contact local police? Seek medical help on the island or Ship? Alcohol can affect many people differently and the heat and humidity can add to those effects.

Again I go back to the 2 different story lines. The first is that there was prescription medication put into her food. If this did happen it may have been someone else messing with her... it reads like a bad mystery novel but with no apparent motive? I do believe for sure that she believes it happened that way but even she might admit that she didn't have her eye on the food all the way from the kitchen to her consuming it perhaps? The second story line that a few chimed in with seemed to be themed around having little to drink but powerful effects from it. These allegations came out of the woodwork after the reports from the mainland resorts surfaced and the first person posted about the drugs.. Before this the only really negative stuff I had ever seen anyone say about NC was that it was too quiet (looking for a party atmosphere) or they didn't like the food (ordered American food). In any case I did speak to the management which apparently is more than these others had bothered to do...

Thank you for your report/review FloridaCrazy :)

It's great to hear about your positive experience at Nachi Cocom

Do you need to make a 'reservation' for Nachi Cocom or can you just grab a taxi from port and enjoy the beach and food? If a reservation is needed, where is it best to make it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would recommend making a reservation as they limit the number of guests per day. I would also anticipate the increased number of ships calling on Cozumel, with all the Eastern Caribbean re-routing.

cozumelnachicocomdotcom

Do you need to make a 'reservation' for Nachi Cocom or can you just grab a taxi from port and enjoy the beach and food? If a reservation is needed, where is it best to make it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You definitely need reservations - they've asked for the printed copy of the confirmation every time I've gone, with the most recent being last Saturday.

As a side note, after last week's stop at Nachi and about 10 trips there over the years, I think I'm done. After the trip prior was ruined by a large group of screaming 20-somethings and their blaring music, the same thing happened this time - but with groups blasting their own music on BOTH sides of us. That on top of the music from the bar was too much and very grating, to say the least. Even my noise-cancelling headphones didn't help. Additionally, the increase from 100 to 130 guests is noticeable. I'm sad about it, as Nachi has been paradise on earth for me for years. But as long as they allow personal speakers and shouting guests, I'm out. :( I'm sure I'll have to bump up the budget a bit to find what I'm looking for, but to me it's worth it.

Happy to answer any questions about our most recent trip - and no, we didn't have any issues with the food or beverages.

You definitely need reservations - they've asked for the printed copy of the confirmation every time I've gone, with the most recent being last Saturday.

As a side note, after last week's stop at Nachi and about 10 trips there over the years, I think I'm done. After the trip prior was ruined by a large group of screaming 20-somethings and their blaring music, the same thing happened this time - but with groups blasting their own music on BOTH sides of us. That on top of the music from the bar was too much and very grating, to say the least. Even my noise-cancelling headphones didn't help. Additionally, the increase from 100 to 130 guests is noticeable. I'm sad about it, as Nachi has been paradise on earth for me for years. But as long as they allow personal speakers and shouting guests, I'm out. :( I'm sure I'll have to bump up the budget a bit to find what I'm looking for, but to me it's worth it.

Happy to answer any questions about our most recent trip - and no, we didn't have any issues with the food or beverages.

Was the music from the new beach bar or the pool bar?

Was it so full there were no seats to move to?

Was there a full quota of ships in port, with the redirected ships?

Thanks for the heads up! I can see where even a site known for a "party" atmosphere.....can be annoying ,with combating and loud music all around you.

Was the music from the new beach bar or the pool bar?

Was it so full there were no seats to move to?

Was there a full quota of ships in port, with the redirected ships?

Music was from the new beach bar.

There were seats back behind 2 rows of palapas - and we got zero bar service there, even after letting Lamberto know we were moving. :(

Definitely not a full quota of ships.

I'm really trying not to complain a lot - just pointing out that the atmosphere has changed from the first 7 or 8 times I was there, many times when the port WAS full. I'm more than happy to move on to another beach club - just need to find one!

Thanks for the heads up! I can see where even a site known for a "party" atmosphere.....can be annoying ,with combating and loud music all around you.

Exactly - I'm not a delicate flower; I'm a punk music fan and go to a ton of concerts where I'm in the pit. But when I have 3 different types of music playing at once, and 20-somethings screaming across the beach to their friends, "HEY! Stop being a f*****g p***y and get me a drink!" over, and over, and over, it is a little much. :o I swear, Nachi was never like this before - at least not until all of the drinks had kicked in in the late afternoon. :')

WOW.... This is all so hard to believe.

Nachi openly presents themselves as a quieter experience.

Is it Fall Break right now... the repeat of Spring Break?

(schools here are on break this next week)

I am hoping that the slow week between Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays will be a good week to be there.

Nachi really needs to get a handle on this!

I also wonder why have these groups come here, instead of the other 'Party' beach clubs?

Nachi needs a very specific and well represented and enforced policy - NO GROUP EVENTS

• 2 weeks later...
I so have not disappeared. I have posted on here for years! Am going on a cruise in November as I now do Southern Caribbean cruises because I prefer them. You know, I hesitated posting this in the first place last year when it happened, or now because I am well aware how people like to pick others apart because it is something that many of us do not like to think of ever happening to themself and because you do not know me and have no idea if I am credible or not. So I understand. . Because I am very clear what happened to me, and because I thought I shd say something, I posted. I realize now that some other posters do not believe me, which is their prerogative but sad. I hope it happens to no one else. And for those who wonder how I could recognize Xanax in guac... I was a prosecutor for years as well as a drug court attorney. The shape of the Xanax pills appeared to be the broken end of a xanax bar which is a 2mg. Drugs & Rx drugs are my practice as an atty. And I can tell you that Xanax and alcohol are not a good combo. I will be graphic. There were pieces of white pills in the vomit. Because of what I do for a living, I am familiar with benzodiazepines because they are a drug of abuse. I could have brought back a nasty bag of vomit for the GBI crime lab and paid a fee to have it analyzed. But quite candidly, without proper refrigeration, the gastric juices would continue the decomp but certainly the contents and crime lab analysis of the drug would of course still be there. But I chose to try and have a good rest of my trip as I was absolutely pissed for allowing myself to become a victim. So no I have not disappeared, but I am not on the Cozumel forum. My friends and fellow attorneys and prosecutors were just glad I was OK. And when I continued to read about some of the druggings that occur, not just in mexico, but anywhere, I thought I wd speak up.

I completely believe you, and the others. And thank you for the post. It made my decision NOT to go to Nachi a very easy one.