Keeping in touch with other passengers

Please be considerate of your fellow passengers and don’t use walkie talkies. Not only will they rarely work the noise is distracting to others. Try the old fashioned long lost art of talking to one another in person.

We plan on meeting for dinner and at the excursions. But the rest of the day is not always planned. I just want a an inexpensive way to be able to get in touch with them throughout the day. I'm talking about quick touch points, not long conversations. I didn't realize that walkie talkies are so irritating to others around.

We plan on meeting for dinner and at the excursions. But the rest of the day is not always planned. I just want a an inexpensive way to be able to get in touch with them throughout the day. I'm talking about quick touch points, not long conversations. I didn't realize that walkie talkies are so irritating to others around.

The problem is that everyone needs to keep the volume up to hear when someone might call, and sometimes the privacy features don't work perfectly, so they can be noisy,even when one of your own party is not calling.

Hi - There are 7 of us on the Freedom next month in 4 cabins and I'm thinking about getting 4 walkie talkies for us to keep in touch. What kind do you have? Thanks

If you are decided that walkie talkies are the way you want to go, you can choose some that have a vibration alert option instead of the Call Tones, such as these ones: https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MR350R-35-Mile-22-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001UE6MJ8

There are others.

I myself have these Unidens because they also have vibration alert, are waterproof, work long distances and have lots of privacy codes. I used them for hunting before we had cell coverage in our hunting area. But they are on the big side and may be a bit bulky for cruising: https://www.amazon.ca/Uniden-Submersible-Two-Way-Radios-Charging/dp/B008F57ICU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513601562&sr=1-1&keywords=Uniden+GMRS

I understand that in many situations the option of "Try the old fashioned long lost art of talking to one another in person." is just not really realistic in the real world. Especially if cruising with a group or with kids.

Have a great Cruise.

dp

Hi - There are 7 of us on the Freedom next month in 4 cabins and I'm thinking about getting 4 walkie talkies for us to keep in touch. What kind do you have? Thanks

We have small Uniden models -- they are an older version and don't have a vibration setting. They work for us. I know you will hear plenty from other cruisers with 'warnings of don't use'....but use what will work best for you.

The models we have work great for us.

As mentioned in another post above...Royal Caribbean actually does support intra-ship passenger communications via an app - however this is very new, and only available on Harmony and 1 Quantum class ship at this time. According to various reports...the intent will be to expand this further, but there is a dependency on high-speed internet being on the ship to support the messaging infrastructure for the RoyalI IQ app. We used it earlier this year on Harmony and it worked great. Look for more ships to have this feature later in 2017 and 2018.

I am pretty sure Royal IQ is not being rolled out to any new ships. I am guessing there are issues with it. They have a new app available, that started only on Allure and has now added Oasis, that seems to be the new thing to work throughout the ship. I have it downloaded, and it only currently shows the next 3 sailings, and then gets updated each week or so.

I am pretty sure Royal IQ is not being rolled out to any new ships. I am guessing there are issues with it. They have a new app available, that started only on Allure and has now added Oasis, that seems to be the new thing to work throughout the ship. I have it downloaded, and it only currently shows the next 3 sailings, and then gets updated each week or so.

If these app's rely on me using my cell phone....I won't want them. I would prefer NOT to use my cell phone and take the chance of it being damaged somehow on the ship....the walkie talkies, seem to be rather indestructible (when you look at their construction) and cell phones are not. Just my POV and I am sure not others.

I did the white board thing on my first cruise (Celebrity Summit 2015). After finding multiple illustrations of anatomy reflecting varying degrees of primary and secondary sexual characteristics, I gave up and took it off the door. :rolleyes:

It would have added to my experience in a positive way as long as they didn't remove my messages :-)

If these app's rely on me using my cell phone....I won't want them. I would prefer NOT to use my cell phone and take the chance of it being damaged somehow on the ship....the walkie talkies, seem to be rather indestructible (when you look at their construction) and cell phones are not. Just my POV and I am sure not others.

Just to expand on the cell phone idea where applicable. you can bring along any old smart phone with you to text. You don't even need a SIM card in it. Place it in airplane mode, enable WiFi and voila. Then you don't have to worry about damaging your "good" phone. As long as the ship you are on has the texting/Royal iQ or equivalent, your good to go.

dp

Just to expand on the cell phone idea where applicable. you can bring along any old smart phone with you to text. You don't even need a SIM card in it. Place it in airplane mode, enable WiFi and voila. Then you don't have to worry about damaging your "good" phone. As long as the ship you are on has the texting/Royal iQ or equivalent, your good to go.

dp

I agree, this is a good idea, except that the OP does not want to do VOOM.

I agree, this is a good idea, except that the OP does not want to do VOOM.

I did buy the beverage & zoom package for myself. But everyone else only bought the beverage package.

But you don't need Voom for the Chat option in Royal iQ. The chat option is only $7.95 for the entire trip. But like I said, it is only on ships that have that option.

dp

But you don't need Voom for the Chat option in Royal iQ. The chat option is only $7.95 for the entire trip. But like I said, it is only on ships that have that option.

dp

Sorry, getting my posts confused. The Royal IQ would be a great option. I wish it was available on Freedom.

We just got off a cruise on Saturday, 4 couples traveling together. Talking to each other and agreeing on meet up locations/time worked beautifully. Communication doesn't have to be complicated.

FWIW, many years ago we tried walkie-talkies. They were more annoying than beneficial. I think we dumped them after two cruises.

We just got off a cruise on Saturday, 4 couples traveling together. Talking to each other and agreeing on meet up locations/time worked beautifully. Communication doesn't have to be complicated.

FWIW, many years ago we tried walkie-talkies. They were more annoying than beneficial. I think we dumped them after two cruises.

Been on several cruises with friends, including a cruise on Allure. Never any problems. We just arranged meeting times. But it also only took a day or two to learn routines and hangouts. I knew where to find them.

I was on a cruise a few years ago where a couple “dumped” their brand new walkie-talkies mid cruise. The walkie-talkies actually sort of worked but they were more annoying to the owners than the people around them. They packed them away after a day or two to give their nephews for Christmas.

Perhaps Royal could take a page from Princess - they have a service for smartphone users that allows passengers to message others. It can be activated when on board.

Royal has that for their latest ships (Quantum class and Harmony), but has not yet added it as an option for the older ships.