Why is this cruise price high?

janny444

Hi...I am just being curious but why is this cruise price high? It is sailing on the 9th September to the FJords on Azura... Inside prices are well over £1100 & balcony over £1600 with plenty of availability. .just seems rather high for a 7 night cruise.

Thankfully we booked this cruise at a much more reasonable price but as I said I am just being curious

Hi...I am just being curious but why is this cruise price high? It is sailing on the 9th September to the FJords on Azura... Inside prices are well over £1100 & balcony over £1600 with plenty of availability. .just seems rather high for a 7 night cruise.

Thankfully we booked this cruise at a much more reasonable price but as I said I am just being curious

How do you know there is plenty of availability?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I have gone through to the booking stage it brings up the cabin numbrers and there seems to be quite a good choice for balcony cabins especially with the cruise only 10 days away

All the cabins are very expensive according to a TA website. We are on the next two cruises and the long one to the Greek Isles looks to be sold out.

I am of the opinion that cruise line websites are organised for the cruise line by the cruise line. They do not want to disclose certain bits of information to the public and their competitors. In this respect they might even make it look nearer to what they want it to say than the true reality. They might well hold back all the information about guarantee cabins for example until they change it to "sold out" all round.

Regards John

Balcony price equates to £228 per night. We usually pay more than that, so I'm not sure it's that expensive. Can't comment on inside prices as never looked at them.

£228 per person per night for a standard balcony cabin...we have never ever paid that...that would be completely out of our range and when we booked we paid no way near that price.

Are you talking about Select or Saver fares? We only book Select as we want specific cabins, not the leftovers, and we tend to do popular cruises, some at peak times, but I've just looked at the average cost for a balcony cabin over 8 bookings over the last few / next few years and average price was £282 per night, even after OBC. So, if you are able to make Select bookings and get good balcony cabins for significantly less than £228 a night I would think yourself lucky and not worry too much about what others are paying.

£228 per person per night for a standard balcony cabin...we have never ever paid that...that would be completely out of our range and when we booked we paid no way near that price.

Agreed we have rarely paid more than £128pppn for a balcony cabin on any cruise line, never mind £228.

Are you talking about Select or Saver fares? We only book Select as we want specific cabins, not the leftovers, and we tend to do popular cruises, some at peak times, but I've just looked at the average cost for a balcony cabin over 8 bookings over the last few / next few years and average price was £282 per night, even after OBC. So, if you are able to make Select bookings and get good balcony cabins for significantly less than £228 a night I would think yourself lucky and not worry too much about what others are paying.

I should clarify that I am talking about total price per night for 2 persons. And these aren't the cheapest balcony cabins admittedly, but not always the most expensive either.

The prices I quoted are per person. I am not bothered about what other people pay. ..was only curious about the high prices... £228 per person isn't a price we have ever paid.

Apologies - I had assumed you were talking about total cabin price based on 2 persons, as the price for one person (sole occupancy) would be nearly as much as for 2 and quoted prices are always for the cabin, not per person per night. And your first post didn't state you were talking about per person, hence my confusion. So our average price based on 8 bookings (and your definition) is £141 per person per night - all Saver fares. So, yes, £228 per person per night is enormous - in fact roughly what we pay for a Suite.

Apologies - I had assumed you were talking about total cabin price based on 2 persons, as the price for one person (sole occupancy) would be nearly as much as for 2 and quoted prices are always for the cabin, not per person per night. And your first post didn't state you were talking about per person, hence my confusion. So our average price based on 8 bookings (and your definition) is £141 per person per night - all Saver fares. So, yes, £228 per person per night is enormous - in fact roughly what we pay for a Suite.

Selbourne as far as I can see there are no saver fares available for the cruise in question

Selbourne as far as I can see there are no saver fares available for the cruise in question

Good spot Dai. A typo on my behalf. I meant to say "all Select Fares". I've only ever booked a Saver once, and that was for a Penthouse on Ventura for a 4 day cruise, when only one (of the two) was left, so we knew precisely which cabin we would have and the saving of several hundred pounds was a no brainer. Would never take the risk otherwise.

Availability when booking means absolutely nothing.

Even if there was just one cabin left I could actually offer almost any grade of cabin for booking.

If you want a grade which is fully booked P&O can simply give the current occupiers an 'upgrade', or delay saver fare cabin allocations.

Hi...I understand that Thejuggler but these lead in prices aren't exactly tempting...the cheapest inside is nearer £1200 pp for 7 nights...at this late stage would have thought that selling those was a priority then as you say "upgrade " someone else.

Hi...I understand that Thejuggler but these lead in prices aren't exactly tempting...the cheapest inside is nearer £1200 pp for 7 nights...at this late stage would have thought that selling those was a priority then as you say "upgrade " someone else.

When the prices get to this level it is a sign that there are very few cabins left and they are quite happy not to sell them but if someone wants to pay silly money then.....

It is clearly the case that they have a number of guaranteed cabins to allocate and the number of free rooms is very small.

Do the cruiseline intentionally overbook like airlines do. It is not as if you can be bumped onto the next flight!

Never known cases on P&O where cruises are overbooked but apparently happens quiet often on Princess. Don't know if it is an American thing but there are regular posts on Princess page where people have been offered massive amounts of OBC and cabin upgrades to move cruises.

Hi....just had a look at the pricing of this cruise...seems to me there has been some upgrading for some lucky people. Now all of the balcony cabins have gone....on Thursday there were over 30 available to book and Outside cabins have now become available. There has not been any availability for outside cabins for some months.

Hi....just had a look at the pricing of this cruise...seems to me there has been some upgrading for some lucky people. Now all of the balcony cabins have gone....on Thursday there were over 30 available to book and Outside cabins have now become available. There has not been any availability for outside cabins for some months.

No I suspect that the guaranteed cabins have now been allocated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app