How long was port Everglades closed after hurricane Andrew?

Optotronics

Does anyone remember?

Watching the news today on Irma says it's the most powerful ever in the Atlantic and bigger than Andrew was.

Does anyone remember how long the port was closed after Andrew? How about the hotels, roads and airports.

I sure hope it turns north soon and misses FL, but latest predictions put it in the position of maximum damage and there's another one right behind Irma.

On August 24, 1992 the eye of Hurricane Andrew made landfall nearly 40 miles south of Port Everglades in the far southern suburbs of Miami. It drove inland towards the Everglades, not north along the coast as Irma is expected to do (as did several near misses the past few years). Neighborhoods north of the Miami CBD and Miami Beach had services restored within 24 hours, if they lost any at all. So no real effect at all on Port Everglades or even the Port of Miami (as it was called then). Hotels along SE 17th St will filled with south Dade locals fleeing the power outages there.

Even if the port opens relatively soon after a hurricane, what is also important that the airports reopen and have their normal schedules back. If you cannot fly to the FLL or MIA for your cruise, the port being open does not matter.

The Port of Galveston reopened last Friday after Harvey came through. But four days later both IAH and HOU still have only about 60% of their flight schedule operating.

On August 24, 1992 the eye of Hurricane Andrew made landfall nearly 40 miles south of Port Everglades in the far southern suburbs of Miami. It drove inland towards the Everglades, not north along the coast as Irma is expected to do (as did several near misses the past few years). Neighborhoods north of the Miami CBD and Miami Beach had services restored within 24 hours, if they lost any at all. So no real effect at all on Port Everglades or even the Port of Miami (as it was called then). Hotels along SE 17th St will filled with south Dade locals fleeing the power outages there.

Andrew was a much more compact hurricane compared to Irma. If Irma makes landfall in Florida it will likely effect a larger area than Andrew. Stay safe all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Embassy Suites on 17th St. has mandatory evacuation for Friday morning 11:00. I expect all others in the area will be the same.

What will people do or go if they came in for a cruise, and don't have a car?

Embassy Suites on 17th St. has mandatory evacuation for Friday morning 11:00. I expect all others in the area will be the same.

I checked Hyatt Place and Holiday Inn Express and they have no notice on line yet. The HIlton Marina, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach, Gallery One Doubletree and Bahia Mar Doubletree all have a similar warning. Maybe Hilton Corp is more proactive than the others. Considering that all of the the 17th Street hotels and those on the intracoastal or beach are east of Federal Highway, I would expect they will all follow the county's mandatory evacuation announcement (not to mention I can't imagine expecting staff to leave their own families to come to work that isn't deemed essential).

What will people do or go if they came in for a cruise, and don't have a car?

I imagine end up in one of the shelters in the county. There are many and there are currently buses transporting those who cannot get there on their own. AFAIK, right now only in MIAMI/DADE, but probably tomorrow also in BROWARD.

There are no cruises this coming weekend. Ships that were to come into port Saturday or Sunday have had their cruises cut short and returned Thursday to let passengers off. The ships will leave Thurs night and go somewhere out of harms way.

Cruises that left last weekend and were scheduled to go to places like St Martin had itinerary changes that took then westerly for a shorter cruise.

Andrew was a much more compact hurricane compared to Irma. If Irma makes landfall in Florida it will likely effect a larger area than Andrew.

And don't forget Wilma in 2005, which did far more damage to northern Dade and Broward Counties. I was in a condo that had half the roof ripped off, and power was out for weeks in places. Many gas stations near me were wrecked, and those that weren't had no power for the pumps (generators were mandated afterwards).