Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

What a horrible worst case scenario and testament to the human condition and the faith you placed in RCL. I'm so very sorry you all had to endure all of that unnecessary stress and financial loss. It's stories like this from real people that hopefully will bring awareness, not criticism because someone didn't buy insurance or choose to cruise at the wrong time of year. Thanks so much for sharing this, hopefully it will spare someone from making the same mistake, not that it was your mistake.

Those with school age kids or teachers can only cruise during peak hurricane season. So which time of the year should these people cruise?

As a shareholder and avid cruiser of RCCL, the #1 reason for all decisions made is MONEY! Stop the BS about pax safety is 1st. It's very obvious they are creating a cruise to nowhere to keep from issuing refunds. We will hold off on calling & canceling the 7 day Allure sailing and hope the 4 day cruise to nowhere is canceled so we can get the refund we are entitled to. If they still won't, I will call my credit card company as a last ditched effort.

Sending anyone to S FL on Tues/Wed is insanity...If the city is not badly damaged and the port open, it will be gridlock on the roads heading south to FLL...let alone gas shortages along the way. Sometimes the only way to wake up the bean counters is to put the spotlight on them in the press.

You would think they would have learned something on Harvey. They kept insisting the 8/27 sailing of Liberty was going to happen.Up until either Friday night or Saturday morning, they kept insisting on sending people to the Galveston area. Basic research would have told them it would be impossible for people to even GET to Galveston since the only way to reach the island was UNDER WATER. They sent people into a disaster zone. Now they are attempting to possibly do it again? I don't get it.

You would think they would have learned something on Harvey. They kept insisting the 8/27 sailing of Liberty was going to happen.Up until either Friday night or Saturday morning, they kept insisting on sending people to the Galveston area. Basic research would have told them it would be impossible for people to even GET to Galveston since the only way to reach the island was UNDER WATER. They sent people into a disaster zone. Now they are attempting to possibly do it again? I don't get it.

MONEY! Cancel these cruises and issues refunds. I don't think they need to offer any discounts, just a refund would be all that's required and fair. I am sure a great deal of employees would love a little break...

I think there is some disappointment because other lines are straight cancelling their sailings and offering full refunds. RC set a bad precedent two weeks ago when they waited way too long to cancel Liberty, all those people that showed up to Houston because they couldn't afford to lose their money got nothing from RC for all the expenses they incurred while trapped in the flood for several days.
Spot on. RCCl dropped the ball by doggedly saying that the cruise was still on and, also, going to the area wasting everybody's time when the Port was CLOSED.

You still have folks defending the way RCCL handled matters in the last few days leading up to the belated cancellation of the 27th scheduled departure. The whole RCCL meteorologist malarkey was beyond belief. Not saying that this is easy stuff because it is certainly is not. These decisions involve lots of moving parts.

I would just be inclined to avoid mid-August to late October cruise trips and even then that might not be enough.

Caribill and others -

Just wanted to say, I feel your pain. We were scheduled on Royal Caribbean when Hurricane Jeanne struck in 2004. We faced all the dilemmas that current passengers are facing.

Our cruise was to leave Miami on Saturday - the day the hurricane was to hit Miami. On Friday morning, RCCI was insisting our ship would travel as planned (that's why I'm suspicious of that big list of ships they currently claim are still going this weekend).

We were a family group flying from the West Coast and celebrating our dad's birthday. We had to leave Friday morning to have any chance of getting to Miami before the storm hit and being available for the still-scheduled sailing.

Our group included two elderly parents and a four-month old baby. Coach airfare to fly us all to Miami was about $6000. I purchased trip insurance for everyone. I was also treating the entire family group to the cruise.

On Friday morning, we had to make the decision to fly to Miami -- straight into a coming hurricane or stay home. Since RCCI continued to claim the cruise was going as scheduled, we felt we had no choice but to fly.

Also, I called the insurer explaining the situation and that the cruise was unlikely to go given the hurricane.

The insurance company response:

If your flight is going to Miami and you're not on it, we will NOT reimburse you for the airfare.

If your cruise sails and you're not on the ship, we will NOT reimburse you for the cruise fare.

So insurance is often not very helpful in these situations.

With no further information and unwilling to forfeit $6,000 of airfare and approximately $8,000 in cruise fare, we boarded our flight from So. Cal. on Friday morning, flying directly into the hurricane's path and having no idea if we would have to evacuate to a shelter. Our Friday night hotel rooms were at a hotel on South Beach.

We arrived in Miami about 4 pm on Friday. About 5 pm on Friday, RCCI announced that our 7-day cruise would leave the following Tuesday for a 4-night cruise. Those who took the 4-night cruise would get a 25% credit for a future cruise and a 50% on board credit. Those who didn't take the cruise were, if I recall correctly, entitled to a 100% FCC.

Meanwhile, we now had to figure out if we could stay in our hotel rooms until Tuesday (or if we'd be evacuated by the authorities). We spent Friday night at the hotel. Saturday, we learned that the port of Miami was closed. We also learned, however, that the storm likely would shift further east at the last minute. Our hotel was able to let us keep two of our four rooms (which made for crowded conditions but at least we weren't in a shelter). So, we hunkered down and stayed at the hotel.

What did insurance pay for? Two hotel rooms for Saturday, Sunday, Monday, as well as documented food expenses for those days. It wasn't a great deal of money on the insurance claim, plus I'd paid over $500 in premium for the insurance. My biggest frustration was that travel insurance was of no use in helping us in a tough situation.

Once on board, the 50% on board credit was nice. We bought a couple of things and then used the rest for a refund to my credit card. The 25% FCC was useless. I had paid for airfare and cruise for our entire family group. But, I only was entitled to the FCC for my cruise fare. The FCC was personal to each person in our group. So, the FCC could only be used for a future cruise if the person holding it had enough money to cruise again during the year. The people in my family did not. So, 10 FCCs went unused.

We've since stopped cruising and the way things were handled with respect to Hurricane Jeanne (and our incredible stress at being put in the position of having to fly elderly parents and a baby straight into a hurricane) is one reason why.

Your situation clearly lays out the broken logic / common sense in how the cruise lines fail their customers. They know that many people travel great distances for their trips but still soft pedal decisions that a 2 year old would make. They know that many people live close and have hard decisions to make about weather preparedness. They know that when evacuations are ordered that finding fuel and working through traffic to get to a port after the all clear is given can be madness. For the most part, they do not give a crap.

Lyncruiser, I'm so sorry that happened to you, it's exactly what they did to several people here in Houston last month. At least they are allowing to people to actually get a 100% FCC now, rather than making them wait until it's too late to avoid the area, but a lot of people are still trying to make the cruise instead.

RCL is just again doing exactly what they did to their customers on the sailing of Liberty of the Seas scheduled for Sunday, August 27 out of Galveston. On the prior Thursday the Port of Galveston closed due to hurricane Harvey and a port spokesman said it would not reopen until at least Tuesday August 29. It actually did not even open that day.

So, Liberty of the Seas then deliberately sailed from Cozumel directly toward Galveston, toward a port that was closed, while telling people their "meteorologist saw a window" to allow a turn around day and if that happened and they weren't there..no refund. So, some people went to Houston/Galveston and ended up in a complete disaster zone in a hotel at their own expense for several days.

Furthermore the airports were then all shut, many roads into and out of the area were flooded for days and all Liberty of the Seas did was to approach the closed Port of Galveston and then leave and go to Miami to resupply.

This same scenario is about to happen in Florida and it will be a much bigger mess as there are way more cruise ships based in Florida vs. Galveston.

In 2008 Hurricane Ike hit Galveston when the cruise ships were out at sea and 5-6000 cars parked in the cruise parking lots were completely totaled by the storm surge.

Good luck to all.

MONEY! Cancel these cruises and issues refunds. I don't think they need to offer any discounts, just a refund would be all that's required and fair. I am sure a great deal of employees would love a little break...

Yeah, a simple refund is sufficient in this type of natural disaster situation. If they chose to offer an additional "incentive" to book a new cruise within a certain time fame more power to them and their passenger retention team.

June

Really? My wife is teacher, school here does not get out till the after first week of June, then teachers are held over for another week and then she has 6-7 days of continuing education to complete, which most of those are only offered in the first weeks of June.

Lyncruiser, I'm so sorry that happened to you, it's exactly what they did to several people here in Houston last month. At least they are allowing to people to actually get a 100% FCC now, rather than making them wait until it's too late to avoid the area, but a lot of people are still trying to make the cruise instead.

It is "nice" that they are offering the FCC but for many people an FCC might be something they are unable to utilize. For many, this could be a cruise of a lifetime, they could be dead in a year. I remember meeting a bunch of folks a few years ago from Venezuela, they certainly wouldn't be able to make a future cruise today. Like you said, RCL is essentially baiting people in when every other emergency agency is saying get the hell out. Makes no sense unless you factor in the bean counters making these decisions. It should be a simple refund...

June

According to Frommers:

"There's a much greater chance of rain during the summer and fall. The curse of Bahamian weather, the hurricane season, lasts (officially) from June 1 to November 30. But there is no cause for panic. More tropical cyclones pound the U.S. mainland than The Bahamas."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bahamas/when-to-go

Really? My wife is teacher, school here does not get out till the after first week of June, then teachers are held over for another week and then she has 6-7 days of continuing education to complete, which most of those are only offered in the first weeks of June.

I think people forget that different areas have different school schedules. Not to mention the foreign travelers with kids from around the world. It's a different scenario for everyone, not black and white.

It is "nice" that they are offering the FCC but for many people an FCC might be something they are unable to utilize. For many, this could be a cruise of a lifetime, they could be dead in a year. I remember meeting a bunch of folks a few years ago from Venezuela, they certainly wouldn't be able to make a future cruise today. Like you said, RCL is essentially baiting people in when every other emergency agency is saying get the hell out. Makes no sense unless you factor in the bean counters making these decisions. It should be a simple refund...

I agree with you, I mean they're doing more than they did in Houston but it's still not enough.

As a shareholder and avid cruiser of RCCL, the #1 reason for all decisions made is MONEY! Stop the BS about pax safety is 1st. It's very obvious they are creating a cruise to nowhere to keep from issuing refunds. We will hold off on calling & canceling the 7 day Allure sailing and hope the 4 day cruise to nowhere is canceled so we can get the refund we are entitled to. If they still won't, I will call my credit card company as a last ditched effort.

Sending anyone to S FL on Tues/Wed is insanity...If the city is not badly damaged and the port open, it will be gridlock on the roads heading south to FLL...let alone gas shortages along the way. Sometimes the only way to wake up the bean counters is to put the spotlight on them in the press.

On point! I'll be doing the same. I just can't see that port being open come Tuesday/Wednesday not to mention the thousands of cars that will probably be flooded and damaged....

It is incredible to hear that RCL is telling passengers to come to South Florida while local officials are saying get out or stay away.

Officials are saying get out now.

Royal Caribbean is saying "get here Tuesday or Wednesday". After the storm has passed.

For me, true. For others not necessarily. What is your point? This is in regards to not being able to get a refund and being placed in a position of entering a hurricane aftermath of an incredibly powerful storm.

Did you purchase insurance?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This seems crazy to me. If the cruise is not able to depart on the scheduled day due to weather, or other circumstance, a full refund should be immediately provided. This is not about fine print, this is about doing the right thing.

My cruise is scheduled to leave San Juan this Saturday. My flight connects in Tampa on my way to San Juan. I don't know if my flight is going to be cancelled, but I do know most flights to and from San Juan have been cancelled. RCCL should have already contacted me and other passengers and offered refunds to discourage people traveling to a disaster zone. There is no rational answer other than greed. I am still going to do my best to get there, but I won't forget how this is handled by RCCL... that said, they still have time to do the right thing.

Officials are saying get out now.

Royal Caribbean is saying "get here Tuesday or Wednesday". After the storm has passed.

Don't forget the "try" and get here Tuesday/Wednesday. That in and of itself may be impossible. We have the storm surge to deal with and the likelihood of some massive flooding. South Florida has had one of it's rainiest summers in history, south Florida is already saturated and when the storm surge hit's there are thousands of cars currently parked at the ports that will most likely flooded and damaged.

According to Frommers:

"There's a much greater chance of rain during the summer and fall. The curse of Bahamian weather, the hurricane season, lasts (officially) from June 1 to November 30. But there is no cause for panic. More tropical cyclones pound the U.S. mainland than The Bahamas."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bahamas/when-to-go

But, if you look at statistics or listen to those of us that live in these areas, the majority of the severe hurricanes happen in August and September. I don't think most of us are saying don't cruise at all during these months. But, be prepared to need a backup plan.

And most importantly feel comfortable enough in your own knowledge and gut to do what YOU think is right for your family. Don't wait for the cruiselines (any of them) to make that choice for you.

And for the non insurance purchasers, maybe those 2 months you might want to re think it.

For what it's worth, I have a cruise out of Miami Sept 25th! 🙃