Upgrade Preferences for RCCL

rferrer00

I just talked to a C&A representative about upgrade preferences, and what he told me doesn't match what I've seen in this forum previously - I'm wondering if something changed recently. He told me that if I select "automatic upgrade," that it applies only to upgrades to a different category (e.g., balcony to JS) rather than upgrades within a category (e.g., JS on lower floor to JS in upper floor). He also said that they call you about the upgrade even if you select "automatic" in your preferences, because there is often (but not always) a price difference you'd have to agree to. Finally, he said that if you select that you don't want an upgrade, they won't even call you about a paid upgrade offer.

But, on this forum, I've read that automatic upgrades can be within stateroom category (but to a higher floor, for example), that they are automatic without a phone call to ask (and non-reversible), and that the upgrade preferences apply only to automatic upgrades and that you can still be called about paid upgrades. I mentioned this to him and he said it was wrong.

Has something changed? Or is he not giving out accurate information?

I just talked to a C&A representative about upgrade preferences, and what he told me doesn't match what I've seen in this forum previously - I'm wondering if something changed recently. He told me that if I select "automatic upgrade," that it applies only to upgrades to a different category (e.g., balcony to JS) rather than upgrades within a category (e.g., JS on lower floor to JS in upper floor). He also said that they call you about the upgrade even if you select "automatic" in your preferences, because there is often (but not always) a price difference you'd have to agree to. Finally, he said that if you select that you don't want an upgrade, they won't even call you about a paid upgrade offer.

But, on this forum, I've read that automatic upgrades can be within stateroom category (but to a higher floor, for example), that they are automatic without a phone call to ask (and non-reversible), and that the upgrade preferences apply only to automatic upgrades and that you can still be called about paid upgrades. I mentioned this to him and he said it was wrong.

Has something changed? Or is he not giving out accurate information?

automatic upgrades that do happen are not paid ones and most do not even find it out unless they get an email with new invoice or they happen to ck their account. Upgrades are from inside to outside, outside to balcony and so on

Anyone can be called for a paid upgrade regardless of preferences

I received an upgrade once, and was not notified, but I was afraid to call because I was shocked at it, and kept it. I'm pretty sure, going to another floor is not an "up"grade if the price of the room is the same. An upgrade is free. An upsell, cost money, and is not an upgrade but a sales opportunity to get money.

I received an upgrade once, and was not notified, but I was afraid to call because I was shocked at it, and kept it. I'm pretty sure, going to another floor is not an "up"grade if the price of the room is the same. An upgrade is free. An upsell, cost money, and is not an upgrade but a sales opportunity to get money.

actually yes it can be considered an upgrade. I know on Carnival, the same type cabin( in my case it was a balcony) the higher the floor, the better category they were.

I been called for an upsell on each of my cruises over the last 2 years (10 itineraries) and my account is marked "no upgrades".

My only guess is to why I'm called each time is Royal may go alphabetically and my last name starts with "A"??

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I been called for an upsell on each of my cruises over the last 2 years (10 itineraries) and my account is marked "no upgrades".

My only guess is to why I'm called each time is Royal may go alphabetically and my last name starts with "A"??

Or someone else REALLY wants that corner aft.:)

Interesting hypotheses. We have never gotten an upsell call. The only upgrade came as a surprise at the pier. I've love an upsell call before Tuesday.

Or someone else REALLY wants that corner aft.:)

Hey Bob! Question for ya! We have a corner AFT balcony on Navigator for a 9-night to the ABC's next March. I currently have automatic upgrade checked and thought if I got upgraded to a JS or higher, that would be a sweet suite!!:hearteyes: In your opinion, should I leave it to say automatic and possibly enjoy a JS but possibly not in the AFT section? I have never booked a JS and think that I would really like the bigger bathroom area with a nice tub/shower vs. the tube!!:eek: What would you do?:confused:

Hey Bob! Question for ya! We have a corner AFT balcony on Navigator for a 9-night to the ABC's next March. I currently have automatic upgrade checked and thought if I got upgraded to a JS or higher, that would be a sweet suite!!:hearteyes: In your opinion, should I leave it to say automatic and possibly enjoy a JS but possibly not in the AFT section? I have never booked a JS and think that I would really like the bigger bathroom area with a nice tub/shower vs. the tube!!:eek: What would you do?:confused:

If you have a D1 category now, then theoretically the only "upgrade" you can get is to a JS. If you don't have a D1, then I would call C&A and have them change your preference to "call me before upgrading".

Personally, I'd be afraid of losing the corner aft and would probably mark the booking "no upgrades". If I wanted the JS bad enough, I'd just pay for it.

If you have a D1 category now, then theoretically the only "upgrade" you can get is to a JS. If you don't have a D1, then I would call C&A and have them change your preference to "call me before upgrading".

Personally, I'd be afraid of losing the corner aft and would probably mark the booking "no upgrades". If I wanted the JS bad enough, I'd just pay for it.

Thanks for your perspective! I was also thinking along those lines and will change my preference to keep the coveted corner AFT #1388 (D1).:cool: Have a great day!:*

Thanks for your perspective! I was also thinking along those lines and will change my preference to keep the coveted corner AFT #1388 (D1).:cool: Have a great day!:*
I wouldn't give up 1388/1688 or 7388/7688 for a JS. The other corners.....probably.

See you in March!!