New Princess Cruiser

luvbluseas

I haven't sailed on Caribbean for long time (last was in 2010) . It that time buffets were wonderful. This is a shame if quality has gone down.

Royal and Regal are wonderful in this regard. I do prefer Caribbean and her sisters in terms of pool setup though

I think the quality of offerings was fine on Caribbean, but the diversity and quantity of offerings was nowhere near Regal's. We had sushi on Regal at the buffet one day - I was totally shocked!

I honestly don't care about how pools are set up. I do prefer the indoor Promenade on Royal Caribbean to Princess's indoor "promenade" split across three levels in the middle of the ship. Very inconvenient, especially if you have mobility problems.

the reason you think Celebrity buffet is better than Princess' is because you haven't experienced Regal/Royal buffet. Also, maintenance on these new ships is great.

This isn't the first time I have heard this about the buffet... so am looking forward to trying it out when sailing on the Royal.

I have had absolutely zero complaints about Celebrity's buffet .. I've always loved it. Funny thing is, on my last cruise, we were all in the buffet raving about the food and I went into the line at the Asian stir fry station and somebody called their food 'rubbish'. I couldn't understand where that came from but I guess it just goes to show how subjective food is to all the different passengers onboard. Also, some people love the pizza at Alfredos -- me? I love the pizza on Princess that is by the pool ... don't think Alfredos is anything to write home about.

Nevertheless, I am still looking forward to seeing what makes the Royal Class buffets so much better. And ... so glad to hear they maintain that class of ship better than the older ones.

I love the pizza on Princess that is by the pool
my 5 year old thought it was good pizza. Hubby and I - not so much.

On our first two cruises we didn't realize that Alfredo's was free of charge, so we never tried it. We'll definitely try it on our upcoming cruise.

Oh, the things you find out on cruisecritic.... priceless. :)

the reason you think Celebrity buffet is better than Princess' is because you haven't experienced Regal/Royal buffet. Also, maintenance on these new ships is great.

I'm Elite with Princess and just off the Equinox last month. Sorry to say, the buffet on the Equinox was A LOT better than even the Royal/Regal buffet. The coffee at the buffet on the ship was terrific too...Lavazza and Melitta from beans at no extra charge. The desserts were absolutely inedible though.

However, all else goes to Princess! To me, Princess is an overall better ship experience, especially the service. I'll stick with Princess.

I'm Elite with Princess and just off the Equinox last month. Sorry to say, the buffet on the Equinox was A LOT better than even the Royal/Regal buffet. The coffee at the buffet on the ship was terrific too...Lavazza and Melitta from beans at no extra charge. The desserts were absolutely inedible though.

However, all else goes to Princess! To me, Princess is an overall better ship experience, especially the service. I'll stick with Princess.

Funny, we find the Princess desserts to be poor. With a couple exceptions, they all look nice but don't have a particularly pleasant taste.

Also, differentiating the ships is the fact that the theater seats on Princess are extremely tight. (Meaning absolutely no leg room)

Just remember that food is varied from sailing to sailing on all ships. We had very nice desserts on Silhuette and very weak (weaker than on many nonpremium lines) on Summit where other food was wonderful.

my 5 year old thought it was good pizza. Hubby and I - not so much.

On our first two cruises we didn't realize that Alfredo's was free of charge, so we never tried it. We'll definitely try it on our upcoming cruise.

Oh, the things you find out on cruisecritic.... priceless. :)

"Hubby and I - not so much." WOW Where do you live to get great pizza. I may do a road trip!

;p

After 48 Princess cruises we decided to try Celebrity because everyone said the food was much better - WRONG - food on Celebrity in the MDR is below cheap land based buffet quality - had salmon that tasted like sawdust - sent 4 meals back on a 7 day cruise - and should have sent the replacement back - NEVER AGAIN. Maybe they save the good food for the specialty dining which are more expensive than Princess.

Well I cannot imagine this, but I guess it could happen. I've heard exactly the same about Ruby Princess. Could not believe it, but ....

Which Celebrity ship were you on?

We've never dined in specialty restaurants on Celebrity or Princess, but food in buffets and mdr was consistently good to great on both and better than on the rest of cruise lines except maybe Holland. Even QM2 didn't match it.

Well I cannot imagine this, but I guess it could happen. I've heard exactly the same about Ruby Princess. Could not believe it, but ....

Which Celebrity ship were you on?

We've never dined in specialty restaurants on Celebrity or Princess, but food in buffets and mdr was consistently good to great on both and better than on the rest of cruise lines except maybe Holland. Even QM2 didn't match it.

Agree, QM2 food very mediocre

This isn't the first time I have heard this about the buffet... so am looking forward to trying it out when sailing on the Royal.

I have had absolutely zero complaints about Celebrity's buffet .. I've always loved it.

Ditto! I love Celebrity's buffets.

My last cruise with Princess was on Ruby,and thought the buffet was a bit less quality than X's (but princess was still good).

Trying Princess Regal next year, so I am looking forward to the buffet!

Ditto! I love Celebrity's buffets.

My last cruise with Princess was on Ruby,and thought the buffet was a bit less quality than X's (but princess was still good).

Trying Princess Regal next year, so I am looking forward to the buffet!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better the Regal buffet is compared to the Ruby.

• 1 month later...
Agree, QM2 food very mediocre

I agree ! I thought the food was underwhelming at best on the QM2. The only thing I liked was that the jams and preserves came in individual sealed jars. Food on Celebrity was just "meh". Princess does fish very well, and since fish is my main source of protein, I am a happy sailor.