High Pressure Specialty Dining Sales Pitches

Cloudscout

For me the problem is not that it's "hard" sells, or high pressure. It's that I've been approached so often, in so many places. I've been approached in the MDR, in Windjammer, in Promenade Cafe, etc. Leave me alone, I'm on vacation!

I agree with you. I understand that the staff has to try to sell the specialty restaurants reservations, but being asked so many times becomes annoying. We were interrupted 4 times in the Windjammer on boarding day and three more times when we sat down at the Champagne Bar. They should give out stickers that say you have been asked when you say no so that you won't be asked again.

I was on a Celebrity transatlantic a few years ago and they were relentless about specialty dining. They would approach us everywhere , bars, restaurants , watching the view , on Constellation going to Rome. We really got fed up with it. But I have never had a problem since then but Celebrity was told to back off and I think they listened, just turned me off and I was thinking of booking a dinner in the Italian specialty restaurant but because of their tactics did not do so, husband was furious at them.

Sorry to hear about the pushy sales. We were on the Constellation a few years ago. The speciality dinning experience in the Italian and French restaurants were the best I have experienced on any cruise. Truly five star in terms of service and quality of food. It is a shame the salesperson put you off.

The main problem is the sales work.....as we can see in this thread!

People get all excited over the % they can haggle:eek:

If everybody would tell them to take a hike....they would stop:rolleyes:

I have over 40 years sales experience which helps in negotiations and a reason i am respectful to people selling to me.

I’m surprised about the more “active” up sell that seems to happen. I’m going on my first cruise in a few weeks, and after spending over $3.500 per person on a one week vacation (plus excursions), I don’t want to,be harassed. I’m already a paying guest, everyone onboard is.

I’m surprised about the more “active” up sell that seems to happen. I’m going on my first cruise in a few weeks, and after spending over $3.500 per person on a one week vacation (plus excursions), I don’t want to,be harassed. I’m already a paying guest, everyone onboard is.

Sometimes people are not aware of all the extras on offer and if they offer me a good deal i will take it but you can always just firmly say No Thanks and that usually means they will leave you alone.

The main problem is the sales work.....as we can see in this thread!

People get all excited over the % they can haggle:eek:

If everybody would tell them to take a hike....they would stop:rolleyes:

If i recall you don't believe in tipping so maybe you could use some of your savings and get a specialty restaurant meal and of course you would get your discount out of the tip you won't leave lol.

If i recall you don't believe in tipping so maybe you could use some of your savings and get a specialty restaurant meal and of course you would get your discount out of the tip you won't leave lol.

Specialty includes the tip.

I am in sales too, and there are times when even I feel it is not appropriate to approach a client, but it is my job. The difference is, it is B2B sales. I am not encroaching on their leisure time.

If my room phone rings with a sales call I'll have to find out when the Hotel Director is off duty and call him or her then...

Specialty includes the tip.

I am in sales too, and there are times when even I feel it is not appropriate to approach a client, but it is my job. The difference is, it is B2B sales. I am not encroaching on their leisure time.

If my room phone rings with a sales call I'll have to find out when the Hotel Director is off duty and call him or her then...

I always leave a minimum of $10 as usually the service deserves it.

Yes you are on holiday but they are not selling double glazing or timeshare.

We usually start the first 2 nights with the D+ BOGO and because they are selling ships services i see this as a win/win because i get a good deal and they get a sale.

Spent last week on Oasis of the Seas and almost everything was great but it was impossible to enjoy a meal without enduring at least one flea market-style salesperson interrupting us to try and sell specialty dining packages, wine tastings, etc.

I finally got fed up one morning at breakfast and asked the salesperson, "would it be possible for us to enjoy a meal without constant interruptions from someone trying to sell us something?" She said, "Okay." Then she walked away muttering, "we're just doing our jobs."

Literally 5 minutes later, someone else stopped by our table asking if any of us had changed our minds about it.

I get that it's not their fault that Royal Caribbean has turned the main dining room into a time share-style high pressure sales environment with a captive audience. I'm sure they have quotas to meet. But I should be allowed to express my displeasure with the experience.

Reading this post really inspires me to go out and get that custom made Tuxedo I've been thinking about. Royal is such a classy cruise line.:rolleyes:

I wonder if Walmart sells tux's?:confused:

But i am happy to buy most things if i like them and the price is right and because they are going around the ship selling i will get a good price and they are certainly not hard selling to me anyway.

How many times per day is being approached with a sale "enough"? Does calling your room overstep the boundary?

For the thousands of dollars people spend for these vacations Royal could be a bit more classy about it.

If they approach me in the windjammer a simple no will do. Not a big deal. If they call my room I'm going to be pissed.

How many times per day is being approached with a sale "enough"? Does calling your room overstep the boundary?

For the thousands of dollars people spend for these vacations Royal could be a bit more classy about it.

If they approach me in the windjammer a simple no will do. Not a big deal. If they call my room I'm going to be pissed.

They have never rang our room but if it was a good deal i would listen.

Reminds me of Orlando. Timeshare people will approach you in the parking lots of restaurants along the International Drive tourist strip to get you to signup for a tour. I say I am a local and move on.

Anything that requires an aggressive sales tactic is not a good deal as far as I am concerned. It is a sign of desperation to push a product or service that can not be sold on it’s own merits.

Reminds me of Orlando. Timeshare people will approach you in the parking lots of restaurants along the International Drive tourist strip to get you to signup for a tour. I say I am a local and move on.

Anything that requires an aggressive sales tactic is not a good deal as far as I am concerned. It is a sign of desperation to push a product or service that can not be sold on it’s own merits.

Tenerife was ripe with the timeshare touts,i just said i was bankrupt lol they soon left.