High Pressure Specialty Dining Sales Pitches

Cloudscout

I don’t think I would want to unplug my phone in case of an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I would want to unplug my phone because of an emergency.

Because sometimes taking a nap is an emergency.

Isn't that right, grapau27?;)

Amazing you keep missing the point of posts....:eek:

Your sales experience was of no interest in any way!:rolleyes:

Neither is your reluctance to tip or give the crew a chance to do their job.

I can empathise like most salesmen with the crew who have to do the hard sale thats why i wouldn't give them a hard time.

Neither is your reluctance to tip or give the crew a chance to do their job.

I can empathise like most salesmen with the crew who have to do the hard sale thats why i wouldn't give them a hard time.

These aren't sales people. They are service crew tasked with an in your face cold call approach. Quite a bit different than professional B2B sales. I ignore telemarketing all the time. On an expensive paid vacation I don't empathize with someone interrupting me to pitch me something I haven't asked for.

Like I said, I'd find out when the Hotel Director is off duty and contact them then. ;)

These aren't sales people. They are service crew tasked with an in your face cold call approach. Quite a bit different than professional B2B sales. I ignore telemarketing all the time. On an expensive paid vacation I don't empathize with someone interrupting me to pitch me something I haven't asked for.

Like I said, I'd find out when the Hotel Director is off duty and contact them then. ;)

Your choice.

We like the specialty restaurants so if i am approached i don't mind because they will give me a good deal.

Having professional sales training myself i agree with you but in our case they have always been polite and i would never be rude to someone who is nice.

I agree phone sales at home are a pain as are the phone company scammers who tell you you need to go online and do what they ask.

My simple solution is i have a whistle next to the phone and when they start i just give a long blow of the whistle down the phone.

Reminds me of Orlando. Timeshare people will approach you in the parking lots of restaurants along the International Drive tourist strip to get you to signup for a tour. I say I am a local and move on.

Anything that requires an aggressive sales tactic is not a good deal as far as I am concerned. It is a sign of desperation to push a product or service that can not be sold on it’s own merits.

Getting off the ship in Nassau, I was approached about visiting a time share back in FL. The property in next door to our condo. [emoji6] She still insisted on signing me up so I could get a gas card and dinner. Crazy. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I have never sailed on RCI but I've read so many bad things that it has kept me away from them. I think I would be very annoyed to have sales people approach me during a meal. And just because it is "part of their job," doesn't make it any less rude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do they come in the middle of dinner while you're eating? Wouldn't be happy about that.

So now we will have the waiter begging for a "10" rating PLUS the specialty dinner interruption?

My DH and I are on the Dec. 3 LOS cruise that is being diverted to ONLY Nassau. One port! I think we should be GIVEN a specialty dinner. ;) No flames please. Yes I'm greedy.

I have never sailed on RCI but I've read so many bad things that it has kept me away from them. I think I would be very annoyed to have sales people approach me during a meal. And just because it is "part of their job," doesn't make it any less rude.

Cruising is not what it used to be. The aggressive push to sell onboard is just what it is. Ships are bigger and there are lower prices to fill them. The captive audience to extract more from those onboard is the result.

Was just on Adventure of the Seas 9/16 sailing. I said a LOT of "no thank you's" during the cruise. We had 2 wonderful MDR Waiter/Asst Waiters, however my husband and I had a heck of a time having a private conversation. Between the lengthy description of EVERY item on the menu, constant refilling of the water glasses, and asking if we were happy with the service... it was kinda crazy. Of course, they hit us up with the usual request for a "perfect 10" on their rating. Then the photographers while in the middle of enjoying our meal. Even in the Windjammer, a server bearing cinnamon rolls and bagels wanted to sign us up for a drink package and the Mystery Dinner. :rolleyes:

Ate one night in Giovanni's where immediately after we finished, the server wanted to sign us up on the spot for another meal that week. The ONLY place where there was no high-pressure sale was in Chops Grille. Hubby and I enjoyed our steaks in peace, LOL. Whew!

It's odd. I've never experienced anything like what's being discussed; including the person who was tired of being hassled by time share people in Vegas or people selling excursions in ports. It may be that they do pick and choose who they approach.. I've been told by many friends that I have a RBF (resting b*** face); that plus avoiding eye contact and quick to cut people off with a 'not interested'... and I really don't get hassled for sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising is not what it used to be. The aggressive push to sell onboard is just what it is. Ships are bigger and there are lower prices to fill them. The captive audience to extract more from those onboard is the result.

I would rather they did this to keep profitable than have a lot less crew or higher prices or even heaven forbid less or no ships.

Was just on Adventure of the Seas 9/16 sailing. I said a LOT of "no thank you's" during the cruise. We had 2 wonderful MDR Waiter/Asst Waiters, however my husband and I had a heck of a time having a private conversation. Between the lengthy description of EVERY item on the menu, constant refilling of the water glasses, and asking if we were happy with the service... it was kinda crazy. Of course, they hit us up with the usual request for a "perfect 10" on their rating. Then the photographers while in the middle of enjoying our meal. Even in the Windjammer, a server bearing cinnamon rolls and bagels wanted to sign us up for a drink package and the Mystery Dinner. :rolleyes:

Ate one night in Giovanni's where immediately after we finished, the server wanted to sign us up on the spot for another meal that week. The ONLY place where there was no high-pressure sale was in Chops Grille. Hubby and I enjoyed our steaks in peace, LOL. Whew!

That sounded a nightmare and we are thankful it has never been like that for us.

It's odd. I've never experienced anything like what's being discussed; including the person who was tired of being hassled by time share people in Vegas or people selling excursions in ports. It may be that they do pick and choose who they approach.. I've been told by many friends that I have a RBF (resting b*** face); that plus avoiding eye contact and quick to cut people off with a 'not interested'... and I really don't get hassled for sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When in ports a 'That sounds great but i am bankrupt (I'm not) lol normally has them moving away quickly.

I would rather they did this to keep profitable than have a lot less crew or higher prices or even heaven forbid less or no ships.
Indeed but even beyond that, cruising has never been like it used to be. It has always changed from generation to generation. Any expectations that it should be as it once was are unfounded and without merit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I have been on many RCI cruises and I have not found this to be a problem. Certainly not put me off going on cruises with them.

I feel chatter on forums sometimes creates a false/misleading impression.

Indeed but even beyond that, cruising has never been like it used to be. It has always changed from generation to generation. Any expectations that it should be as it once was are unfounded and without merit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I agree,good post.