Sushi on Five for $20 Listed in Dining Reservations Options

teltrainer

Phillygirl. Someone just posted about the Equinox experience where all you can eat was what they had.

Love sushi too! Hope we enjoy on our Equinox cruise. Willing to try at that price. Thanks for your response

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got off the Equinox yesterday, so let me put this to rest. The $20pp is all you can eat with NO restrictions! The only thing not included is fresh Wasabi ($10).

I love sushi and thought it was ok. I had the Sushi and Sashimi (Chef's choice), Lobster Ramen (delicious!), Dynamite lobster and shimp, Three other types of roll (half portions)and my DW had the wontons and two orders of the Kobe Beef Slider (which was confirmed to be genuine, not Wagyu). I added up what it would have been a la carte and it came out to over $100, but the bill was just $40.

Wow they have real wasabi? I don't think I have tried real wasabi as they are like $80 a pound. I was told most every sushi restaurants outside of Japan used dyed horseradish/mustard. I don't think I can taste the difference as I am not very picky.

Wow they have real wasabi? I don't think I have tried real wasabi as they are like $80 a pound. I was told most every sushi restaurants outside of Japan used dyed horseradish/mustard. I don't think I can taste the difference as I am not very picky.

you can order wasabi powder (without mustard added) on Amazon or other sites. It does cost a bit more than the one you see on the shelves of your local grocery store. I think I'd be a bit suspicious and ask to see the wasabi they are grating or the label on the wasabi they are mixing.....not that they would think of serving the mixed wasabi powder with mustard....

Does it make any sense to offer all-you-can-eat for $20. But set a $35 limit if you use the dining package? Huh?

I don’t think the ships are getting any guidance from hq.....they seem to each be doing their own thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the sliders weren't at least $100 a piece they weren't genuine Kobe beef. ;)

They were genuine American Kobe style beef blend - so essentially mystery meat. Aka genuine fake Kobe or Fauxbe Beef.

And FYI Kobe is Wagyu.

Really? So glad you were there to ask the difficult questions!

I asked specifically because I DO know the difference and I was told categorically that the slider was Kobe beef. Not very big and normally sold for $8 a portion.

As Celebrity is a big name cruise line that sails to Asia, I don't see them lying about what they are serving.

Thank you for playing. We have some parting gifts for you.

Did you reserve this online before you went, or you just walked in and were charged $20/person? I am genuinely so confused by all of these different answers.

We were approached while having lunch in Silhouette the previous day, so when we sat down to eat, I confirmed it with the waiter.

Really? So glad you were there to ask the difficult questions!

I asked specifically because I DO know the difference and I was told categorically that the slider was Kobe beef. Not very big and normally sold for $8 a portion.

As Celebrity is a big name cruise line that sails to Asia, I don't see them lying about what they are serving.

Thank you for playing. We have some parting gifts for you.

We were approached while having lunch in Silhouette the previous day, so when we sat down to eat, I confirmed it with the waiter.

That is hysterical you think you had real Kobe beef for $8 on a Celebrity ship. I don't need to be there to know that it is Fauxbe Beef. Celebrity is not an authorized vendor of Kobe beef. Very few venues outside of Japan have Kobe beef - and when they do it goes for around $30/ounce and is NEVER used as a slider. Only someone fooled by the emails from a prince in Africa promising you a million dollars if you divulge all your personal information to them would fall for this scam by Celebrity.

And pray tell, how do you know the difference? Highly doubt you've ever had Kobe beef - and your statement that it wasn't Wagyu proves you are clueless about this topic since all Kobe is Wagyu. Ask to see the certificate of authenticity with the cow's nose print from which the beef was sourced - any venue serving Kobe is required to produce this upon request. There are no "difficult questions to ask" - anyone with even moderate expertise on this topic knows it is false advertising without asking a single question. The prospect of a Kobe beef slider is a joke and Kobe beef for $8 doesn't exist.

Edited by Gonzo70

For more information on Faux-be beef and wagyu (american Kobe?) beef

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/kobe-wagyu-steak-myths

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef.html

There are many others...

As Gonzo said, you are not eating Japanese KOBE beef on a celebrity ship for $15. For that price, you aren't even eating american PRIME beef on a celebrity ship.

Well...I hope it's "all you can eat" and hope they are offering it when we are on Millennium next June or on Reflection in July 2019...Wishful thinking, huh?

But, then again, why should I not expect a great deal? We were just on RCCL Jewel of the Seas for a "back-to-back" in the Med this past June/July. On the second leg, we purchased the "3 night specialty restaurant" package for $75 per person. We asked if that included Izumi--which is ordinarily on a la carte pricing. We were told by someone that it included a $50 credit (for the two of us). Then, we got some information from another source that it was a $100 credit. So, we checked directly with the restaurant...and they confirmed it was a $100 credit! Well, we ate one night at Chops, another at Giovanni's and one at Izumi...We had trouble actually eating $100 worth, but, somehow, forced ourselves...So, it turned out to be a great deal...It would have been the same as, say, running up a $100 bill at Izumi and having them throw in the other two specialty restaurants at $12.50 per person per night. If I did it again...and if my wife would let me...I'd ask if we could just eat three dinners at Izumi for $100 each. Actually, it cost us a little more than that: Our actual bill at Izumi ended up being $102...so we were charged that extra $2...plus, we threw in an extra tip at each specialty restaurant.

But, if RCCL, Celebrity's sister line, is willing to cough up a $50 per person credit for what was, in effect, a $25 per person charge, you'd think Celebrity should be equally generous. Besides, it certainly helped fill up an otherwise uncrowded specialty restaurant...and I doubt they are losing money filling seats at $25 per on a cruise when you'd otherwise be scarfing down a "no additional cost" meal in the MDR!

We got off the Equinox yesterday, so let me put this to rest. The $20pp is all you can eat with NO restrictions! The only thing not included is fresh Wasabi ($10).

I love sushi and thought it was ok. I had the Sushi and Sashimi (Chef's choice), Lobster Ramen (delicious!), Dynamite lobster and shimp, Three other types of roll (half portions)and my DW had the wontons and two orders of the Kobe Beef Slider (which was confirmed to be genuine, not Wagyu). I added up what it would have been a la carte and it came out to over $100, but the bill was just $40.

I wholeheartedly agree with others. No matter what you were told on the ship, it was most definitely not Kobe beef. Remember when Celebrity tried to sell $10 "Kobe beef" burgers at the Mast Grill not long ago? It created a furor. Finally a Celebrity representative actually responded, admitting it was "Kobe style" beef (whatever that means). It was a short-lived experiment.

I wholeheartedly agree with others. No matter what you were told on the ship, it was most definitely not Kobe beef. Remember when Celebrity tried to sell $10 "Kobe beef" burgers at the Mast Grill not long ago? It created a furor. Finally a Celebrity representative actually responded, admitting it was "Kobe style" beef (whatever that means). It was a short-lived experiment.

Correct; the official Celebrity poster admittted it was an "American Kobe Style Beef blend" to use their exact words. See post #146 in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53567932&highlight=Beef+blend#post53567932

Any US beef could be described as this - there is nothing regulating it; could be prime+++ or could be canner grade - so essentially mystery meat. This is what is being (illegally) called Kobe beef in Sushi on 5 and Qsine. I put illegal in parenthesis as I do not know if it is illegal for a cruise line to do this, but in recent years in the US some restaurants were successfully sued (under the guise of false advertising). In the US you sometimes see the terms American Kobe or Kobe Style (both currently legal, but meaningless in that they say nothing about the quality or origin of the beef), but rarely see beef simply referenced as Kobe beef (as it opens a venue up to a likely successful lawsuit).

So ridiculous Celebrity is engaging in false advertisIng; hopefully they cease this ridiculous practice ASAP. While most know it is BS, some like Guindalf are being completely duped.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Reflection now, and we had pre-bought the $20 Sushi deal for the two of us. All we got was $20 credit each toward what we ordered—we were told the $20 deposit was to "guarantee" seating in their (nearly empty) restaurant, and no amount of arguing or pointing out what we had read on CruiseCritic would get them to give us more.

We enjoyed the sushi and walked away not unhappy that we went, but this "deal" is stupid. Since it wasn't really a deal, we ended up ordering only what we were absolutely sure we would like, when we had been planning on experimenting a little bit. In truth, we weren't that hungry, so we might actually have ordered less than $40 worth of our favorites if we'd walked in without prepaying—but we felt like we had to use up all $40! We will probably visit Sushi on 5 in the future, but we sure won't be buying anything in advance.

A bit off topic..sorry

Sushi on 5 aside, we find there is too much variation and confusion in deals and pricing in the Specialty Restaurants. .We do not like the unseemly concept of negotiating or haggling over prices...too much like a flea market or bazaar.

On Infinity we had a written letter from Cap Club clearly indicating there would be a discount for E plus for Specialty dining. We had pre paid and upon arrival asked for a credit for the discount as we have done MANY times.

The Tuscan maitre d first said NO because it was not the first night, then demanded proof, then spent our entire meal checking on it.. Then after relenting he hit us with a sales tax because we were still in SF when it was re priced. Never asked us if we enjoyed the dinner.. Sourpuss!

Guest Relations agreed with us after 3 days of review They also agreed the stress and annoyance ruined dh's b- day dinner..We were given our credit and they covered the tax. We cancelled res at Q sine not wanting another battle. Modern Luxury strikes again.

I'm so disappointed with the arguments and the drawing of blood over Kobe, again. For real....you get what you get while on board so at least try to enjoy yourself or do something different if its that terrible or lowly to you or for you. I don't think your tongue will fall off.

I have been following this thead because we do enjoy sushi on board....loved it at 5:30 at the buffet for a good long time we sailed Celebrity and enjoy the Sushi arrangement on NCL at their Wasabi bar.

I'm not a Kevin O' Leary snob type...I try and enjoy alot of offerings while i'm on board rather than to poo-poo them as not good enough to suit me.

FWIW we have never found Wasabi on NCL to be overly attended every time we have visited and the size of that venue is much smaller than what the Bistro footprint is, but we have always enjoyed Wasabi. Bistro footprint may be too large for the sushi

concept.

Edited by MizDemeanor

It's no different than the jewelry shop adverisIng a ring as diamond when it is actually cubic zirconia. Would you be OK if you paid for a suite and received an inside stateroom? It is fraudulent and unacceptable. Not sure why you think this should be overlooked. Has nothing to do with not enjoying oneself on board or being a snob - most people dislike it when companies engage in false advertising. If they did this in the US or U.K. they would be sued. One can be irritated with Celebrity's fraudulent use of the term Kobe beef, but still like most aspects of the company. Personally I prefer businesses I frequent to fix their shortcomings rather than maintain status quo with aspects where they are doing wrong.

It's no different than the jewelry shop adverisIng a ring as diamond when it is actually cubic zirconia. Would you be OK if you paid for a suite and received an inside stateroom? It is fraudulent and unacceptable. Not sure why you think this should be overlooked. Has nothing to do with not enjoying oneself on board or being a snob - most people dislike it when companies engage in false advertising. If they did this in the US or U.K. they would be sued. One can be irritated with Celebrity's fraudulent use of the term Kobe beef, but still like most aspects of the company. Personally I prefer businesses I frequent to fix their shortcomings rather than maintain status quo with aspects where they are doing wrong.

What on earth are you taking about?

Your comparisons are not realtive. I don't wish to be insensitive but its not hard to know the difference between an inside cabn and a suite...and more importantly the CRUISELINE will be able to illustrate the difference with little effor to a guest.

So at the end, and after all your complaints...are your saying you are not sailing Celebrity any longer because of a false advertising claim you are making about specific burgers that are served in board?

Or are you still sailing despite thier burgers?

What about the SUSHI !!@!!

Just as anyone familiar with diamonds could easily tell if Celebrity was falsely advertising cubic zirconia as diamonds, anyone familiar with Kobe beef can readily tell Celebrity is not serving Kobe beef. Kobe beef is very distinct in look, flavor and texture. It does not impact my sailing wth them, but it does irritate me that they are engaging in this deceptive practice. Last trip with them they had Osetra caviar as an upcharge item on room service; what I received was tobiko (both fish eggs, but Osetra is rare, extremely expensive and much more complex taste - tobiko is common and dirt cheap; not worthy of even a penny upcharge). For some reason Celebrity thinks it is OK to engage in this false advertising with luxury food items. I still enjoy the Celebrity product enough overall to sail with them, but really wish they would knock off the practice of putting rare, expensive, luxurious items on menus and serving cheap knockoffs.

Just as anyone familiar with diamonds could easily tell if Celebrity was falsely advertising cubic zirconia as diamonds, anyone familiar with Kobe beef can readily tell Celebrity is not serving Kobe beef. Kobe beef is very distinct in look, flavor and texture. It does not impact my sailing wth them, but it does irritate me that they are engaging in this deceptive practice. Last trip with them they had Osetra caviar as an upcharge item on room service; what I received was tobiko (both fish eggs, but Osetra is rare, extremely expensive and much more complex taste - tobiko is common and dirt cheap; not worthy of even a penny upcharge). For some reason Celebrity thinks it is OK to engage in this false advertising with luxury food items. I still enjoy the Celebrity product enough overall to sail with them, but really wish they would knock off the practice of putting rare, expensive, luxurious items on menus and serving cheap knockoffs.

You need to stop.

Stop what?!?

Being logical, expecting companies to do the right thing.

What I want and think you want too is for Celebrity to change from being misleading (to be kind). I do not want to go to another cruise line, I want Celebrity to fix the issue. They have an overall great product and there is NO need to mislead to get a product sale.

As to your rational, I did not see where the acceptance of a lesser product/service was okay, i.e. suite vs interior cabin, just a deflection as to how obviously it would be to see the misleading/deceptive change. Guess the thought is if you are unaware of the deception, it is okay?

I think the complaint with the cruiseline is an issue of semantics. Authentic Japanese Kobe vs Americanized Kobe. Because there does not seem to be a requirement for the cruiseline to label the origin of the beef, its called Kobe which has become a catchall label for the Americanized style of this particular beef. I don't know if there is a requirement for a qualifier such as 'Kobe Style' or not, perhaps you do.

I do aplogize that I do not agree that the cruiseline is being deliberately deceptive because to me its a matter of semantics rather than Truth in Menu. I do see that your opinon differs and I follow your line of thinking on this topic. I feel badly that you get this worked up about it.

As for the one who may have accepted Tobiko for Osetra, I don't get that at all. Not trying to argue. That transgression would have gone right back if it were me, with my polite assumption on the rejection that someone must have made a (terriffic) mistake in the kitchen.

Hi..OP here to let you know we decided to cancel our $20 per person reservation we booked online since Celebrity seems to not have any clear cut policy how the a la carte versus one set price works for this offer.

We may look at options there after boarding.

Inconsistency in policies is one of the biggest customer complaints regardless of industry. Celebrity seems to be very consistent with their inconsistency.