Transatlantic Passengers - Balcony Cabin Question

LinVirginia

We've done quite a few TAs but the only time that a balcony was probably unnecessary was on the Caribbean Princess that went from Southampton to NYC via Iceland - that was one chilly balcony! However, since we often sail with my sister in an adjacent cabin, the adjoining balconies make it seem like we have connecting cabins.

On our last TA we had a balcony and the weather was cold. However, it allowed us to enjoy the most spectacular night lightning storm that I have every seen - the sky looked like a cracked egg at times :D. Also, got to sight dolphins, etc. during the day. If the price differential is not bad, then go for a veranda.

That was pretty much our experience too. Too cold to sit out, but some amazing open water sights.

I've done multiple transatlantic cruises and I don't think I would go without a balcony. Even if it is too cold to sit out there, it's not too cold to go out and stand and look out over the ocean and get some fresh air. I'd feel like I was trapped in a terrarium or something without a balcony in my room! :)

That said, when I've retired and have more time than money, I might try a cruise without a balcony to see if it makes that much difference or if I'll be able to sail more often in cheaper cabins.

Booked first TA this past April, balcony, out of Ft. Lauderdale, and used the balcony everyday on the crossing. Coffee and bagel or toast, daily on balcony enjoying the ocean views. Very pleasant until we left Lisbon on way to France, a little chilly, we covered up and still enjoyed the balcony. Most nights the door was left open to able to hear the ocean as the ship cut through the water, what a sound! Have another TA next April on the Silhouette and will have a balcony again. Enjoy whatever the choice, Celebrity rocks!!!

We ALWAYS use our balcony. I have pictures of me in on a chair wrapped up in a blanket(on my balcony) lol

Helaine

The same for us. If it is cold, you can always add another deck blanket.

Nothing like that fresh sea air with the great views of the varying cloud formations and the spectacular colors of the sunrises or sunsets.

If your balcony has an unobstructed view looking down to the water, sometimes you even see wildlife right alongside the ship.

We like to get a covered balcony so we can enjoy it even if it is raining -- or snowing.

Oct ‘13 West bound TA on Infinity we had a FV which became available in June- not many families sail at that time of year.

We certainly made good use of it, except for a couple of days in the Bay of Biscay. Sailing west the weather gets warmer and the days lengthen.

It was also a wonderful place to watch the partial eclipse of the sun.

85011c43e7e4de742f9077a71432a757.jpg

We are currently on the Reflection with a balcony sheltered on both sides. We can use this comfortably every day. We have had the bump balcony that was open to the front, and we could not use it when we were sailing because of the 20 mph, at least, wind.

Our balcony has always had a sign requesting that you keep the balcony door closed. This is necessary for the ships air or heat systems. It can also prevent deaths. A few years back a Princess Ship caught fire, from a cigarette. The folks who had left personal items or towels on the balcony spread the fire across the balcony and those with the doors open spread the fire inside the ship. Two or three died, many had smoke inhalation injuries. Folks don’t always follow the smoking regulations and obviously many on cruise critic keep their balcony doors open. Best to be safe!

How much of the time could you actually use your balcony? I am thinking that an Oceanview might be the smarter choice for a Transactlantic sail?

We did Rome to Florida. Had a balcony on Silouette. I used my balcony everyday. I like to hear the ocean break against the ship. We were able to see the Rock of Gibralter as well.