EZ Check Bags Missing

AJs Grandpa

I'm posting this in the hopes someone who has had EZ Check bags go missing can give me somehelpful hints about navigating the Princess bag tracking system. Those who have used EZ Check will likely be able to follow my story better than those who have not used the system.

We returned from a great TA on the CB yesterday. Wedecided to use EZ Check because we had some personal business to handle for a few hours before our mid-afternoon flight and didn't want to lug our bags around. Everything appeared normal. We received boarding passes and the"temporary" bag tags in our stateroom. (Those who have used EZ Check will know whatI mean by "temporary" bag tags.) We then placed the bags outside our stateroom around 10 PM and saw they were gone in the morning. We see our final account showed the airline baggage charges and the $25 EZ Check fee. All as expected.

The bags never showed up at our destination airport. The airline shows the bag tag numbers as issued but never scanned them as being received at the FLL airport. That tells us they are likely either still on the ship or on the truck that takes bags from the ship to the airport.

Fortunately, we did not check anything of great monetary value. There were a couple of relatively new clothing items along with some "oldies-but-goodies" that can't really be replaced. (Favorite dresses, shoes, etc.) We had Princess insurance, but I'm not sure it extends to EZ Check if we did not book our flights through Princess. In that case, we will try our credit card insurance. (To furthercomplicate matters, we booked the flights with airline points but paid the baggage fee with the credit card on file on the ship.)

I know it's a bit premature to assume all is lost, but it we fear it is. Naturally, the weekend crew at Princess isn't much help. I'm not wishing it on anyone,but I hope anyone here who has had a similar problem can share their experience and any lessons learned going through the hoops with Princess and their insurance carrier.

(We realize we are very fortunate compared to some who lost lots more in recent weather activity. This is frustrating but not devastating. Actually, we are better off than the time we returned from a cruise to find our kitchen ceiling on the floor due to a hot water tank leak in the attic.:eek:)

Just curious. What will be the responsibility of the

Luggage transport contractor if baggage was lost (hope not!) in transit from port to airport?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are touching on the finger pointing I fear. As far as I'm concerned, Princess is liable for the actions of their sub-contractor (the transport company.) But, I'm certainly not an attorney, and I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm wondering if the luggage is sitting somewhere at the pier......

At the end of a recent cruise, ending in Ft. Lauderdale, we exited the ship, and headed to the area where our luggage was supposed to be, one piece was there, the other wasn't. Searching for the specific color tag was futile, so we walked up & down the rows of luggage, hoping to spot one large case. I asked a Princess rep for assistance and should have known better; she was useless. Finally a porter said that luggage tags frequently come off and to follow him to another room. Sure enough, among the many pieces was my suit case. Lesson learned: use multiple coded tags if we are not doing self-disembarkation, nice tip to the porter and a snarly face at the Princess rep.

I'm betting the airline luggage tags came off somewhere between your cabin and the pier/transit truck.

Darcy

I'm betting the airline luggage tags came off somewhere between your cabin and the pier/transit truck.

Darcy

It's certainly possible the bags are on the pier, or more likely, in the terminal. However, it is unlikely both tags would come off. Also, while the tags are "temporary" in terms of the information on them, they are the same type used once you get to the airline counter...pretty secure.

At the end of a recent cruise, ending in Ft. Lauderdale, we exited the ship, and headed to the area where our luggage was supposed to be, one piece was there, the other wasn't. Searching for the specific color tag was futile, so we walked up & down the rows of luggage, hoping to spot one large case. I asked a Princess rep for assistance and should have known better; she was useless. Finally a porter said that luggage tags frequently come off and to follow him to another room. Sure enough, among the many pieces was my suit case. Lesson learned: use multiple coded tags if we are not doing self-disembarkation, nice tip to the porter and a snarly face at the Princess rep.

Darcy

Wow! The same thing happened to me. From that time on I always put some packing tape around the color tags to keep them from coming off. I hope this little tip helps everyone :).

Tony

Wow! The same thing happened to me. From that time on I always put some packing tape around the color tags to keep them from coming off. I hope this little tip helps everyone :).

Tony

I normally pack Duck Tape just in case but now I think I'm switching to clear packing tape so that it can be used for multiple purposes.

Darcy

Don't know how it works at other ports but at Seattle, no bags are put in any "other room" until after all the the passengers have left the ship and have gone through the luggage hall. At that point, any remaining bags are taken by the people who work at the pier processing the passengers off and on the ship to their work area where the people try to match the bags with people who have filled out lost bag forms or otherwise try and get the bags to their rightful owners. The longshoremen/porters have no access to those areas. By that time, they are all working with arriving passengers. "Snarly faces" at the people working at the pier will not do anything to help protect/recover your bags as the people working the pier are trying to do their job as well as possible in most cases. If you get someone who doesn't seem to be helpful, ask to see a supervisor. That's your best bet.

Tom

At the end of a recent cruise, ending in Ft. Lauderdale, we exited the ship, and headed to the area where our luggage was supposed to be, one piece was there, the other wasn't. Searching for the specific color tag was futile, so we walked up & down the rows of luggage, hoping to spot one large case.

I've had that happen, and it is really no fun.

Our tag didn't come off, the bag was simply mixed in with the wrong color.

I know they handle a bazillion bags, and there may be a few mistakes, but

when you are trying to make a flight, it can make you cranky!

A few years ago we found only one of our two bags in the bag holding area after our cruise. We looked and looked for the missing bag. We also got a Princess representative to help us. We stayed until there were only about five bags remaining. Finally a passenger came back in with our missing bag. They had taken it by mistake. I have always wondered how someone could take the wrong bag. Matter of fact this wasn’t the wrong bag but an extra bag for them. We also had colored yarn tied around the handles. Some People!:confused:

We were one of the last people thru immigration yesterday in Fll and there were at least a dozen bags uncollected. Employees collected all the bags and commenced filling out paperwork, I assume, on each bag.

What airline were you flying?

We were one of the last people thru immigration yesterday in Fll and there were at least a dozen bags uncollected. Employees collected all the bags and commenced filling out paperwork, I assume, on each bag.

What airline were you flying?

American with a 3:05 pm departure.

I was hoping it was not Southwest as their baggage handling at the airport was horrendous. I attempted to take a photo as I have never seen such a shambles. Hopefully you will have better luck on Monday when corporate opens.