Cabin change within category-guarantee rate

SeaWatch12

Has anyone had experience with changing the assigned cabin when booking a guarantee fare?

I booked an Aqua Class GTY on the Reflection yesterday thru a travel agent and was assigned

stateroom 1502. This cabin is at the very front of the ship and not to my liking as it is directly under the

fitness center. I am concerned about the amount of noise from above.

I called the agent's office and requested the change (within same category) to another cabin and they said it may not be possible as it was a guarantee rate but they would look into it.

I am a Captain's Club member and am also requesting to have the member's upgrade from the A2 to an A1.

Do you think I should leave this to the travel agency to handle or I should call the Captain's Club directly?

Thanks for your input, Mark

Suggest you call your TA back and have them call Celebrity while you remain on the line for a three way discussion. Upgrades need to be requested at the time of booking. Your TA should be aware of this procedure and if your TA is not well informed, ask to speak with a supervisor. Don't wait for your TA to get back to you as there may be fewer options to switch rooms as time passes.

I personally have booked a guarantee before, and have been able to switch rooms. Good luck.

The one category upgrade does not apply to a guarantee booking.

If there are other available A2 cabins your TA should be able to change your cabin. Are there cabins open,? if I were you I would check what is available and give the TA one or two of the available cabins to request.

If there are rooms available in the category you were assigned, you should be able to change.

I seem to remember that the upgrades did not apply to guarantee rates, but I could be wrong.

Ken

You can only change within the category you have been allocated if one is available and if you booked in the US. You are correct, the one category upgrade does not apply to GTYs.

You can certainly get a different cabin, same category when you book a guarantee. We have done it several times. Go on the Celebrity site as if you were booking a new cruise and check what cabins are available in AQ, if there are any. Then decide on the one you want and phone your TA to get it for you.

Thank you for your responses.

I am fine if I can't get the A2 to A1 upgrade.

There are lots of A2's available so I am going to make a request to move to the port side away from the fitness area. I don't want to have our time on the ship ruined from the sounds of the treadmills and other associated noise.

BTW, my friend also booked an AQ GTY at the same time and he was assigned 1503 which is under the Persian Gardens, a quieter area.

Sure going to build up a good appetite walking from the front of the ship to BLU every morning for breakfast!

Mark

Accomplished.

I spoke to a supervisor at the travel agency who got on the phone with Celebrity and they changed the cabin to the other side of the ship. It would of been easier if I booked directly with Celebrity but the travel agency offered extra onboard credit.

Thanks, Mark

I booked a Guarentee Agua Class Cabin in Australia with Celebrity allocated a Cabin under the treadmills. They have flatly refused to change the cabin unless I paid for an upgrade. They maintain that the cabin is not subject to excessive noise. This is despite reviews in Cruise Critic complaining of noise from above in these cabins. They have also refused to speak to me as I booked through a travel,agent.

Where do I go?

Richard West

I booked a Guarentee Agua Class Cabin in Australia with Celebrity allocated a Cabin under the treadmills. They have flatly refused to change the cabin unless I paid for an upgrade. They maintain that the cabin is not subject to excessive noise. This is despite reviews in Cruise Critic complaining of noise from above in these cabins. They have also refused to speak to me as I booked through a travel,agent.

Where do I go?

Richard West

Same if you booked in the UK: what you are allocated is what you get and they will tell you that’s why GTYs are a cheaper rate than choosing a preferred cabin and paying the higher rate ;).

Mark, I was in the same boat (hah). After booking an Aqua guarantee I was immediately assigned 1502. I looked at available cabins and called my TA and asked to be switched to 1517. We loved that location. The balcony was open and sunny, not underneath the mid-ship overhang, and we had a nice view of the bridge.

Where do I go?

Richard West

Maybe if you insist on speaking to a supervisor/manager at the travel agent's office, they would be wiling to get on the phone with Celebrity and make the simple change to another available cabin in that category (A2) and not charge you for an upgrade. I found the supervisor was more willing to go the extra step as opposed to the first person who answered the phone at the agent's office. I didn't hang up with them until it was done.

Celebrity stated to you that there is no excessive noise from above. To me that means you can expect to experience some noise that others not under the fitness center would. I hate to find out your trip was ruined due to the constant sound of treadmills above your head. I would think Celebrity would be helpful to you pre cruise so it would not have to be escalated to the Hotel Director or Guest Relations Manager once you are on board.

Enjoy your cruise, Mark

Maybe if you insist on speaking to a supervisor/manager at the travel agent's office, they would be wiling to get on the phone with Celebrity and make the simple change to another available cabin in that category (A2) and not charge you for an upgrade. I found the supervisor was more willing to go the extra step as opposed to the first person who answered the phone at the agent's office. I didn't hang up with them until it was done.

Celebrity stated to you that there is no excessive noise from above. To me that means you can expect to experience some noise that others not under the fitness center would. I hate to find out your trip was ruined due to the constant sound of treadmills above your head. I would think Celebrity would be helpful to you pre cruise so it would not have to be escalated to the Hotel Director or Guest Relations Manager once you are on board.

Enjoy your cruise, Mark

As I pointed out in a previous post, other countries do not have the same T&Cs as you do booking in the US. When booking a GTY in the U.K., you have to accept the cabin that is first allocated to you as they do not allow moving to another cabin in the same category, as is standard practice in the US.

Has anyone had experience with changing the assigned cabin when booking a guarantee fare?

I booked an Aqua Class GTY on the Reflection yesterday thru a travel agent and was assigned

stateroom 1502. This cabin is at the very front of the ship and not to my liking as it is directly under the

fitness center. I am concerned about the amount of noise from above.

I called the agent's office and requested the change (within same category) to another cabin and they said it may not be possible as it was a guarantee rate but they would look into it.

I am a Captain's Club member and am also requesting to have the member's upgrade from the A2 to an A1.

Do you think I should leave this to the travel agency to handle or I should call the Captain's Club directly?

Thanks for your input, Mark

I got my AQ QTY assigned 1506 changed to 1621. Easily done.

I have been allocated 1506 under the treadmills. They have refused to change the cabin unless I pay for an upgrade.

See my post above - Seawatch is obviously unaware that different countries have different rules. You would be in the exact same position if you had booked in the U.K. ;), which is why I would never book a GTY over here. Previously I have booked them, but through my US TA.

As I pointed out in a previous post, other countries do not have the same T&Cs as you do booking in the US. When booking a GTY in the U.K., you have to accept the cabin that is first allocated to you as they do not allow moving to another cabin in the same category, as is standard practice in the US.

It really shouldn't be allowed in the US either. I never pick a guarantee rate because I don't want to be stuck with a bad cabin location. So apparently I should be doing this, taking the discount, and then calling to switch if needed. Completely undermines the 'guarantee' process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really shouldn't be allowed in the US either. I never pick a guarantee rate because I don't want to be stuck with a bad cabin location. So apparently I should be doing this, taking the discount, and then calling to switch if needed. Completely undermines the 'guarantee' process.

You can only switch if there are cabins left in the category you are assigned. Most times there are few to none left and the ones that are, are not in a good location since these are already booked. I have only seen guarantee cabins come available to book for a cruise near or after final payment.

If you want to take your chances go ahead.

GTY is a gamble that people are willing to take due to the price. Most of the time - there are no good cabins left and there is no benefit of changing. We just got lucky this time and got one of the last good location cabin.

GTY is a gamble that people are willing to take due to the price. Most of the time - there are no good cabins left and there is no benefit of changing. We just got lucky this time and got one of the last good location cabin.

As you say it's a gamble. Sometimes it a calculated risk but you should be prepared for the lowest category in that type of cabin.

For our last two cruises we've booked GTY verandas, fully aware we could get a 2D. We've got 1Cs on both occasions. We knew this was a possibility as there were quite a few 1Cs available, but not many 2Ds.

The latest we've moved twice, and we've ended up in the same cabin we had on our last cruise. The most recent change was last week, ahead of sailing next week.

Both have been booked via a US agent so we could get cabins changed if we saw something in a better location within the same category.

As you say it's a gamble. Sometimes it a calculated risk but you should be prepared for the lowest category in that type of cabin.

For our last two cruises we've booked GTY verandas, fully aware we could get a 2D. We've got 1Cs on both occasions. We knew this was a possibility as there were quite a few 1Cs available, but not many 2Ds.

The latest we've moved twice, and we've ended up in the same cabin we had on our last cruise. The most recent change was last week, ahead of sailing next week.

Both have been booked via a US agent so we could get cabins changed if we saw something in a better location within the same category.

I'm not even concerned about the category. I'd be totally fine with a 2d; have booked them on occasion. What I'm not fine with is noise so right over the theater, right under the night club; that kind of thing. So if you can routinely change location within the category, it makes guarantees much more appealing. I just assumed you were stuck with what you were assigned.

We are on the Dec 21 Miami holiday sailing on the Eclipse this year and the Aqua class cabin price for a GTY went down to $1599 pp We had already paid $3099 pp for aqua room 1650. Since we are still 68 days out from sailing the cancellation fee was $900 total. After rebooking we still received a credit of $2385. Thanks to this thread I realized I could call and ask for a room change so I called and got back the same room 1650. I am a pretty happy camper.