Quick, hotel access blocked off.

KyleClark

Need to figure out something quick. We are staying at the Intercontinental hotel in Miami. There is a race tomorrow and all access to the hotel will be blocked off from 8:45 to 1pm and before that access will be limited. We have to leave way early to get out. Is the best thing to do is to get to the port by really early? Any Ideas would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I try not to get to the ship until after noon. That way it's not crowded and by the time I check in rooms are ready or close to being ready. I say talk to the front desk, ask for late check out, and enjoy a leisurely morning. Going to the port before 8:30 a.m. would mean a lot of sitting around waiting.

You don't need to be there before 11am...otherwise you'll simply be in the way, waiting, and waiting. The ship isn't "cleared" until around 10"30am.....no need to be there at the crack of dawn! Eat a late breakfast and head out about 11....it only takes about 10 mins to the ship from your hotel!

You don't need to be there before 11am...otherwise you'll simply be in the way, waiting, and waiting. The ship isn't "cleared" until around 10"30am.....no need to be there at the crack of dawn! Eat a late breakfast and head out about 11....it only takes about 10 mins to the ship from your hotel!

Umm, heading out about 11a won't be possible as all access is blocked until 1p.

Wow, just checked the race route and you are truly gonna be locked in, so to speak. The best advice is as gottacruisemore stated, ask about late check out and arrive after 1p. Otherwise it's gonna be a long wait at the pier (if they even let you in that early). If a late check out isn't possible, explain your situation to the front desk and ask for their recommendations. Be sure and let us know how it turns out as this is very valuable info for future cruisers to the area.

If you get to the port at 9 am that is is bit early, check-in will probably start around 9:30 am. Maybe you could take a taxi or Uber to a restaurant outside if the race zone and have a nice breakfast before heading to the port. Personally I wouldn't wait until 1 pm to leave the hotel even though it is close by.

This is ridiculous. I am staying here too. This is the first I heard of it. I called hotel help and they didn't know when we could leave. They don't tell their guests they are trapped Here? What about folks with Flights? Total BS!

Find now a nice breakfast place for the morning (check online). Doesn't matter really if your intercontinental would include already breakfast. Check out early and a taxi at 8:30 and go to that breakfast place. Eat a nice breakfast between 8:45-9:45 or so and then go to the pier around 10-10:30. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Find now a nice breakfast place for the morning (check online). Doesn't matter really if your intercontinental would include already breakfast. Check out early and a taxi at 8:30 and go to that breakfast place. Eat a nice breakfast between 8:45-9:45 or so and then go to the pier around 10-10:30. Problem solved.

Access blocked at 5 am. Problem not solved.

wow, being that you can't even ride on that route after 5 am truly is the worst...I hate to say this but leave before 5 and kill a few hours at a nice diner for breakfast nearby....especially if you need those vibe passes...

also, ask for some discount on the hotel rates for this inconvenience...they just might give you a few dollars...good luck

I would just do a late check out and avoid being stressed. After breakfast, I would hang around the front desk and casually discuss about any possible way, and just hope but not expecting any positive response.

While the information indicates the roads will be open at 1:00 pm, you have no idea how long it will take for the roads to be clear or what kind of traffic jams the closure will cause. Your best bet is to get up early & find someplace away from the race to have a relaxing breakfast. If you can hang out there, fine, if not, head to the port & bring a good book.

What's the latest you can check in? Do you really want to deal with the stress of getting there when you can't get a taxi or car service to pick you up? That's a rotten way to start a vacation.

Leave early, Traffic after 1:00 is going to be awful, with over 12,000 people trying to leave the area. I'd do like the other poster said, have breakfast somewhere to past the time. I also think it's absurd to have a race and close down the roads in the surrounding area expecting others to just deal with it.

SO weird for me to be reading this as we had to cancel our B2B that leaves tomorrow and had planned on a two night stay at the Intercontinental also! We love the convenience of this hotel, the restaurant, etc....but had NO idea that this was going on!

I would still rather be in this predicament than where I am! But I DO sympathize as this is truly an upsetting development for all cruisers staying at the hotel tonight...and one that I too was NO made aware of. And I just cancelled my reservation yesterday (and YES! I DID have to pay the one night stay for NOT cancelling enough in advance - so that still stings too!)

Again, we have always thought the Intercontinental to be the best spot for pre-cruise stays...and have tried a few.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you....and as my husband says "It always turns out better than you anticipated"......of course not sure if this still rings true when we are sitting her is So Cal and our ship sails tomorrow!

Interesting situation. I've certainly never given any thought to something like this causing a delay in getting to where I wanted to be.

I hope you can find a good solution to your problem and I'm sure you won't be alone as lots of cruisers stay in this area.

Come back and let us know how you solve this. Maybe we can all learn from your experience.

A few years ago my husband and i were staying at the intercontinental when the Miami marathon was on . We were in the same situation and needed to get to port , this was our first cruise and were very worried we`de miss the ship !!! . We ended up pulling our luggage along past Bayside shopping plaza and managed to get a taxi on the corner just past the holiday inn ( we were lucky and flagged a taxi down ) . If you are fit and able to do this ( pull / carry your luggage ) i would would suggest you do the same you will see lots of taxi`s around this area as they are heading into port . Good luck and enjoy your cruise x

There's no way I would leave before 5. I work many races. You will be able to walk through the race once the "herd" clears out and it's down to sporatic walkers. Just wait till late morning, walk to an area that's not blocked. Call an uber or taxi there.

Can’t you check out today and move to another hotel? Just checked Marriott prices and they are okay - Biscayne Bay, or at the airport.

Just cite the real reason for checking out a day early ... you are going to cruise ship and the race for the cure is affecting your getting to the ship in time and you don’t want to take a chance!

13K is a LOT of people and it will take HOURS to clear, so don’t take a chance!

If it were us in this situation, we’d check out and go to another hotel fast, TODAY! Not worth stressing out at the beginning of cruise vacation. If hotel has been pre-paid, lose it (or try to claim portion of it back because you weren’t warned in advance) and move to another hotel.

Edited by bluesea777

Can’t you check out today and move to another hotel? Just checked Marriott prices and they are okay - Biscayne Bay, or at the airport.

Just cite the real reason for checking out a day early ... you are going to cruise ship and the race for the cure is affecting your getting to the ship in time and you don’t want to take a chance!

13K is a LOT of people and it will take HOURS to clear, so don’t take a chance!

If it were us in this situation, we’d check out and go to another hotel fast, TODAY! Not worth stressing out at the beginning of cruise vacation. If hotel has been pre-paid, lose it (or try to claim portion of it back because you weren’t warned in advance) and move to another hotel.

Think it's too late for that. OP posed this issue last night. So they have already spent the night and the race is starting now.