Solo on Oceania?

DRS/NC

5 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I really enjoy the nightly solo get together's that NCL excels at.

I am hoping Oceania does likewise, every night, and not just 'on occasion'...

I have met some great friends at those....

you may be disappointed

hopefully you meet friends on the  RTW cruise that you can socialize  with

• Thanks 1

Dated and indirect info, but April 2017 TA on Marina there seemed to be a nightly solo traveler table in the GDR.  I believe the social hostess was usually there.  My info comes from one of the solo's, who we made friends with through the wine tasting 'tribe'.

I am currently on Marina, traveling  solo. The lovely social hostess Katie has hosted 3 get togethers for cocktails the first 10 days of this cruise. Some solos then  continue on to dinner together She said there will be additional ones. I requested my solo tables for the specialty restaurants as soon as I was able to, no problem. I have been able to have a table alone in the Grand Dining Room if available. I showed up one night and saw several people waiting and figured they were couples waiting for two-tops, so I assumed there was nothing available, so shared that night. I am disappointed not to receive invitations to dine with staff, guest lecturers, etc, like I do on other cruise lines. Don’t know if this is true but heard Oceania canceled this practice because passengers didn’t want it. But you will enjoy the excellent food.

• Thanks 1

Just found this post. I have  booked my first cruise on Oceania. Solo on the Riveria. This is a very useful/informative thread. I have had some awful dining experiences on other cruise lines. I generally ask for a table for one. Having spent more than enough dinners at a shared table where I was #6 at or #8 at a table with a  group/family of  5 or 7, who DID NOT want me there, a solo table is a luxury for me. To know that Oceania has events for those who travel alone is great. Any other feedback from solo Oceania cruisers would be great great.

I was planning on going solo, then invited a friend to join me, then decided I had to cancel because of DH's vision problems.

But I understand VERY well not wanting to be a single person dining with a family group! But most of the tables on O are 4-6.  Even with a six person group you could be isolated if they all know each other, but with a group of four I wouldn't think so.  How about telling the maitre d' setting up the table that you'd prefer to be with one or two couples?  If they can't satisfy your request, you'll be dining solo -- which doesn't appear to bother you at all!  Me, I'd rather be with a few other people.

A couple of years ago we were asking to share, and we were in line in back of a Swiss lady who was traveling alone.  So we asked her if she wanted to join us.  She did and we had a lovely meal together.

That's happened with us more often than not.  I figured if I were traveling alone it would happen with me as well, because I don't really want to dine all by myself.  I can do that in my room if that's what I prefer.

Mura

• Like 1

a couple of cruises ago   we  had  dinner with 2 solo ladies   at a table  for 4

they were delightful

They found out they lived in the same area  both firt timers on O  but they seemed to enjoy the cruise as solo pax 

They did mention there was  cocktail gathering  &  lunch or dinner with other solo pax  duing the 12 day cruise

3 hours ago, Straughn said:

Just found this post. I have  booked my first cruise on Oceania. Solo on the Riveria. This is a very useful/informative thread. I have had some awful dining experiences on other cruise lines. I generally ask for a table for one. Having spent more than enough dinners at a shared table where I was #6 at or #8 at a table with a  group/family of  5 or 7, who DID NOT want me there, a solo table is a luxury for me. To know that Oceania has events for those who travel alone is great. Any other feedback from solo Oceania cruisers would be great great.

I also had a bad experience as a solo cruiser (on Celebrity) seated at a table with a group of 7 traveling together.  They totally ignored me so I got up and left.  I was reseated at an 8-top and told that others would be seated with me, but they never seated anyone else and the waiter never came to me.  I was so disgusted that I left and never went back to the dining room.  I preferred to eat in the buffet where I could sit by myself and read my book. 

I did have a good experience on my very first cruise (Carnival)...my friend and I traveled together (both of us were single) and were assigned to a "singles" table where everyone was single.  It was a blast and all 10 of us became good friends.

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1

I find it hard to imagine that a family group (or any group) could be seated with someone traveling alone and just ignore them!  I'm on the shy side myself, but I would certainly make an effort to welcome that person.

Congratulations for getting up and leaving and uncongenial group -- why suffer a whole dinner being ignored!  But how the staff could leave you alone at a large table is equally bad.  In those circumstances, I'd dine alone in the buffet myself!  Far pleasanter company.

Mura

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bob brown said:

Thanks...I sure hope so, or it's going to be a long six months....

I don't know what O does for singles, but there are a number of us on the RTW cruise.  I'm sure we'll all enjoy getting to know  other worldies.  🌏

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mura said:

I find it hard to imagine that a family group (or any group) could be seated with someone traveling alone and just ignore them!  I'm on the shy side myself, but I would certainly make an effort to welcome that person.

Congratulations for getting up and leaving and uncongenial group -- why suffer a whole dinner being ignored!  But how the staff could leave you alone at a large table is equally bad.  In those circumstances, I'd dine alone in the buffet myself!  Far pleasanter company.

Mura

The group was seated first and I was seated as they were eating their appetizers!  It was very awkward and I had no intention of putting up with their rude behavior.  The staff was oblivious to how embarrassed they made me feel so being able to just relax by myself in the buffet was fine with me. 

I had a similar experience once upon a time, but with a very different outcome.

As I recall this was on Renaissance, so it was probably our last cruise with them in May 2001.  DH wasn't feeling well -- somehow he'd been overeating! -- and so I went to dinner alone.  I was seated with a group at a table for 8, the only singleton.  BUT this group was comprised of couples, perhaps there was one other single, and we had a wonderful time.

But it's pretty clear that if a single person is seated with a group where everyone else already knows each other ... it's not a good plan!

Mura

8 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I don't know what O does for singles, but there are a number of us on the RTW cruise.  I'm sure we'll all enjoy getting to know  other worldies.  🌏

Thanks, Lisa...that sounds great...I'll look forward to meeting you and Connie when you join us in LA...and to all the other singles on our cruise.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, DRS/NC said:

Lots of posters on CC insist that Oceania is a great value -- w/airfare, excursions, & drinks included. (I don't drink.)

Oceania sends me materials every week; got the big 2019 catalog today. Interesting.

Big promo for "2 for 1" fares. So, how does Oceania handle 2 for 1 for a solo?

Also, as a 70+ solo, I have to wonder if I'd be very "out-of-place" on what appears to be a very glamorous environment. Thoughts? :o

Thanks!

I do have to say age wise, on our Jan.'18 Riviera trip, the pax were probably the oldest I've seen on any line. I'm 64 & felt much younger than most. The youngest pax on board had to be in his mid 20's. There was a mix of 45-65 on board, but not a huge amount. As to glamorous, at least on Riviera pax seemed to dress nicely. Though some will say it's casual, it really wasn't on that ship(except during the day) I saw virtually no jeans(which is fine by me)Most wore nice slacks & button down shirts(long & short sleeve)You saw a fair amount of sport coats with open collar shirts at night. Similar to the brochures. Very few ties or full suits. If pax chose to dress up, it was generally when going to Jacques or to Le Reserve at night. I find the "Country Club" casual statement to be pretty accurate. Again I'm basing this on the Riviera. It may vary on other ships in the line.