Any cruise lines NOT particularly kid friendly?

colz85

We just got back from a 5 day on Carnival Elation....LOVED the ship, crew, food, etc, but on this cruise the number of kids reached a critical mass for Husband and myself, and put a real damper on the trip for us. And that's fine...people can vacation where and how they want. So if Carnival is targeting families with kids, that's cool, we're just wondering where to look for our next vacation if we'd like a more grown up crowd to cruise with?

Thanks!

Please check Radisson Seven Seas cruise line.

http://www.rssc.com

I think you will find a most wonderful mostly adult cruise line.

Don't be afraid of the prices until you understand what is included in the fare.

For most people it almost comes out even.

If you have interest in looking at another web site which talks mostly about this cruise line send me a email and I will give it to you.

It really is a wonderful cruise line.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe

02/15/03 Radisson Paul Gauguin

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (Ick! Terrible cruise)

11/12/04 Radisson Mariner

02/15/05 Radison Diamond (no longer in the fleet)

12/27/05 Radisson Voyager.

The longer cruises and the higher end lines have few to no kids... The time of year you go also has a lot to do with it - Don't go during holiday times, Spring Break, or summer.

These are all favorites of mine that have fewer to no kids most of the time...

Crystal... http://www.crystalcruises.com/

Silversea... http://www.silversea.com/

Oceania... http://www.oceaniacruises.com/

Radisson... http://www.rssc.com/

Great suggestions! A bit pricey, however. We'll see what we can come up with for next year. I really thought that we would be avoiding the family cruisers because we were going when school is in session, and right before a big school break. Apparently, that didn't matter!

Right now, we're looking at Celebrity and Royal Carrib. Any input on those?

Thanks!

Colleen

Celebrity is more upscale and has fewer kids than their parent Royal Caribbean... Again though it all comes down to the time of year and length of cruise.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are both great lines (same company) and I love them both, but Royal Caribbean is a very family friendly line... Between the 2, go with Celebrity.

Try a river cruise---most are all inclusive. Very few have children---never saw one on any of ours. They are very relaxing---not a lot(hardly any) of nite life. Many cater to English speaking travelers. All the days are sea days with wonderful scenery on both sides. Pat

DH and I feel the same, so we cruise in September & October. Of course, there's always that hurricane "thing" :) but we live in the Keys so it's not new to us. Another advantage to that time of year is that it's much less expensive.

colz85 - did you happen to cruise in October? Many school districts have a week-long "Fall Break" in October, and it can run for the whole month. BTW - if it were me, I'd choose Celebrity or Holland America....to keep within your price range.

colz85 - did you happen to cruise in October? Many school districts have a week-long "Fall Break" in October, and it can run for the whole month. BTW - if it were me, I'd choose Celebrity or Holland America....to keep within your price range.

We JUST got back yesterday...I thought for SURE kids would be in school, since the Christmas break is coming up in a few weeks, but the place was CRAWLING with kids of all ages...diapered babies (in the hot tubs...YUCK) to packs of roving teens. Just not our concept of the ideal vacation.....

Am doing some looking now...have found some decent deals on HAL and Celeb.

Research is part of the fun!! :)

Double YUCK! Personally, I like Holland America, but the two Vista class ships (Zuiderdam and Oosterdam) tend to cater to families. (Although, I've had two great cruises on the Zuiderdam! Once in May of 2003, and once on April 9 of this year...past the dreaded "Spring Break"). More and more, school districts are going to year-round schooling and many parents opt for Home Schooling. I know...it's a real drag! You might want to try one of HAL's smaller ships, like the Zaandam or Westerdam. I've been on two Celebrity ships as well. You might also want to check out Princess (but not the Caribbean Princess). Good luck to you!! (I feel your pain!)

I'm totally shocked that there was the kid factor on your cruise as I am a dedicated kid avoider on cruises. I'm now convinced along with timing, the bigger factor is "5 day cruise on Elation". I think the shorter cruise convinces parents they are not keeping their kiddies out of school for an extended time. I believe any line, 7 days, September, or January, late May, are kid proof.

I'm totally shocked that there was the kid factor on your cruise as I am a dedicated kid avoider on cruises. I'm now convinced along with timing, the bigger factor is "5 day cruise on Elation". I think the shorter cruise convinces parents they are not keeping their kiddies out of school for an extended time. After extensive research I believe any line, 7 days, September, or January, late May, are kid proof.

. I think the shorter cruise convinces parents they are not keeping their kiddies out of school for an extended time. After extensive research I believe any line, 7 days, September, or January, late May, are kid proof.

Interesting point. We're now looking at 7 days for our next trip. Also, a smaller ship.

Thanks to everyone for being nice about my desire to avoid kids on a cruise! I was a little afraid the thread would turn ugly right away.

Sigh. In my day, my parents firmly believed "if school is in session, you need to be there". Not so anymore....

We JUST got back yesterday...I thought for SURE kids would be in school, since the Christmas break is coming up in a few weeks, but the place was CRAWLING with kids of all ages...diapered babies (in the hot tubs...YUCK) to packs of roving teens. Just not our concept of the ideal vacation.....

Nor mine. I think parents are a buch of butts to take their kids out of school. And they can justify it in more ways than you can imagine... "Life is an education"... "Travel is an education"... blah... blah... blah... whatever!

I'm going the very first week in May hoping that kids will be in school taking State mandated tests or something so I don't have to look or listen to the little screamers... or worse yet... watch the parents ignor their kids... like the ships balconies are their babysitters.

Phew... Now I feel better... :cool:

Go on a longer cruise than 5 days... I'm sure the parents don't want to pay those balcony babysitters too much... I went the 3rd week of September and there were less than 100 kids on board out of 2,400 passengers.

And I think, as someone said, late September/October most kids are in school... except for the "home schooled ones"... yeah, right... whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm on Celebrity Millennium right now, on a 7 day cruise, and I've counted a total of 8 school age kids on board and just a few infants/toddlers. If you cruise right before or right after Christmas or Thanksgiving, or take a cruise of 10 days or longer, you won't find many kids. Also, stay away from Carnival and RCCI as they tend to have tons of kids, no matter what time of year. Parents don't seem to have a problem with pulling their kids out of school, like they did when I was a kid, plus there are kids who go to school for 45 days and then have 15 days off, and then there are the home schooled kids who can cruise anytime.

We cruised last week on the RCCL Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera. Very few kids on board and happily, those who were sailing with us were absolute angels. We've cruised this time of year in the past and find even though we can usually only manage to get away for a 7 day cruise this time of year, there are very few kids on board.

Archived