Is a drink plan worth it?

islandgals

Curious as to how much 1 bottle of Mikes Hard Lemonaid costs?? I saw that I could order a 4 pack for $24 which would be $8 per bottle. Rather pricey but is that the same cost if I were to buy a bottle at one of the bars?

Actually a 4 pack for $24 is $6 per bottle not $8. As far as being pricy yes, but it's not a choice we have if we want a beverage.

Whether or not something is worth it is totally subjective. We're going back and forth on this debate now.

The big 'for' on our end is that you really feel more like you're on vacation. 100% if we didn't have the drink package we wouldn't get the coffee shop coffee we want because of the cost. I know that for our group, we'd all be thinking of the price for every drink. I think we're leaning towards doing it again at this point when I pointed out that we'd be getting the $7.50 /day soda package without Cheers! and then add the fact that my father is really trying to convince my mother to relax and get coffee she'd enjoy ($4 per large coffee with a flavor). So we're already at $11.50 of the $49.95 (I also drink coffee). It is a 9 day cruise but it works out to 38.45 per day or 346.05 for the 9 days when you account for the 'sunk cost' of soda and coffee. So 346.05 for 9 days pp of unlimited alcohol. When you look at something like Patron that's 10.95 a shot or the same price for an Alchemy Bar drink, it's less than 4 of those drinks a day (which is easy to justify if you drink and want to try lots of things). IMO it is also a nice opportunity to try new things. With Cheers! I'm more willing to try things because it's just one of 15, if I don't like it it isn't like I 'have' to drink it because I paid specifically for it.

Suffice to say, I believe CAN be fiscally worth it. It mostly depends on whether or not you drink enough/what you drink. If you only drink water and a couple of beers, I'd probably pass.

We did discuss just putting $500 on the account and using that but again, we're already at more than half that for 2 of us getting coffee daily and all 3 getting the soda package.

And this is before taking in to account the 'added perks' so to speak. I like having the sparkling water at dinner (I don't *need* it and would drink regular water or soda instead but it is nice), we usually get milkshakes every other day when we have it, and then we do a little vitamin water and regular water hoarding for taking off the boat (not a big deal as we usually take one of our big free waters off but it's nice to have the options. I also like having them in the room for when I wake up).

It’s a personal decision to me. On the last Carnival cruise I took, my Group was celebrating our high school reunion so we drank a good bit. Plus I like all of the other non-alcoholic beverages that is included . I will be purchasing Cheers again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s a personal decision to me. On the last Carnival cruise I took, my Group was celebrating our high school reunion so we drank a good bit. Plus I like all of the other non-alcoholic beverages that is included . I will be purchasing Cheers again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's usually worth in my case, even more now that it includes specialty coffees and water. I don't spend much time off the ship. For me it's about the math--I like martini type drinks and the Alchemy Bar, and break even at 6. I average 9 or 10 alcoholic drinks over the course of a day. I'll get a couple nice coffees too, and I always get water between each drink. (I used to get soda water since it was covered with Cheers!) Next summer I and a friend are on a 14 day cruise and I'll be off the ship more, so I won't be getting it--the math doesn't add up for that cruise. But I already bought it for the cruise I start on Saturday.

For the record I’m NOT A TROLL, but goodness gracious, how many times can a question be answered? Search it, it’s out there I promise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just remember if you don't put the exact wording in search , it can/will take you all over the board. And you DON'T get what you are looking for.

It's much simpler for people to ask again. Some people don't spend as much time on this forum as others.

Actually a 4 pack for $24 is $6 per bottle not $8. As far as being pricy yes, but it's not a choice we have if we want a beverage.

You are right. I wouldn't mind drinking a few drinks while sitting on our balcony. I guess I'm just curious as to whether simply buying at a bar costs the same? Is there any benefit to pre-ordering and having the drinks delivered to the cabin.

You are right. I wouldn't mind drinking a few drinks while sitting on our balcony. I guess I'm just curious as to whether simply buying at a bar costs the same? Is there any benefit to pre-ordering and having the drinks delivered to the cabin.

Is there a benefit to pre-ordering? You answered you own ? With your 2nd sentence.LOL

I skipped it on the last cruise and regretted it. I didn't feel free to order what I wanted when I wanted it, and it did impact the enjoyability of my cruise. More importantly than that, I was stressing out about how much of a bill I was going to be hit with at the end paying a-la-carte. Even though I rarely drink enough to "cover" the cost of drink packages, I realize now that they are worth it for the convenience, freedom, and peace of mind of knowing I will not have to worry about surprise charges at the end of the trip.

If you would have 5+ drinks, then it's worth it. If you have less than 5 drinks a day, not worth it.

I'll usually be around 12 - 15/day, easily - so VERY worth it. Couple glasses of wine at dinner and a few evening drinks before bed and I've already surpassed the cost of the package. I'll almost always get a mimosa or something for breakfast and who knows what else during the day. It adds up quickly.

As others have pointed out, the ability to freely enjoy the cruise, grab a drink as you wish anytime you wish, has an immense value, too. Bars are all over the ships and I enjoy just grabbing one as I walk by to sip on. Makes vacation so much better and relaxed.

For us, we've found it's not worth it. My DH doesn't drink much and I have several break even days but towards the end of the cruise, I find myself drinking less. Even when it was a perk for us on NCL and we had to only pay service charges, we didn't utilize it as much as expected. I tracked it on our last 7 day cruise and I was just about break even, so from now on, I'll just "pay as I go" and not worry about the final bill.

A couple of questions, please. Does Cheers include a bottle of Peligrino water? Also, is it a 15 alcoholic drink max a day or 15 all inclusive drink (coffee, cokes, etc) max a day?

Yes, it includes Pellegrino. We had Cheers on our last cruise and I often ordered a bottle of it with a shot of Grey Goose VX (about $20 a shot if I paid for it).

The 15 max is only for alcohol. I usually only had 5-6 alcoholic drinks a day but definitely made it worthwhile with a ton of bottles of water speciality coffee drinks, red bull, etc. Also, my 5-6 alcohol drinks were always Alchemy, high end liquor, or their best available wine. It was a great indulgence...:)