From Cruise port to airport in 1 hour?? (to catch flight?)

coco_808

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the time it takes to leave the cruise ship and get to the airport?

Due to my original flight being cancelled I had to re-book to a flight that leaves an hour after 8 am (apparently the time that customs is open).

Do you think it is possible to catch my flight??

I'm flying with American Airlines and cruising with Royal Carib

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the time it takes to leave the cruise ship and get to the airport?

Due to my original flight being cancelled I had to re-book to a flight that leaves an hour after 8 am (apparently the time that customs is open).

Thanks

Royal Caribbean advises that 11:00 is the earliest flight to be safe. Customs will be getting off the ship, so I guess they are saying the ship won't be cleared for debarkation until 8:00 and you would have an hour to get thru customs and get to the airport. A 9:00 am flight doesn't seem possible to make.

You can get from the outside of the ship to the airport in well under an hour.

But to get off the ship, through customs, to a taxi, to the airport, through agriculture inspection, checking a bag, through security and to your gate before the gates close in an hour?

Nope.

You will definitely not make that flight.

It may be too late but AA should have let you rebook without penalty for any flight with available seats. If you handled this within the last few days call and try to change your flight.

If you booked your AA tickets through the RCI cruise air program then contact them.

Under the most normal circumstances, and we cruise out of SJU often, I'd plan on a minimum of 4+ hours from ship to flight. Things are not yet normal in San Juan.

Hi,

Thanks

No Way. We just got off the Adventure last Saturday. Upon checking my emails from the airlines, we were told to get to the airport 3 HOURS prior to our flight to allow enough time to get through security, etc. Now, we didn't have long lines but we didn't fly out until Wed afternoon. I think even 11am flights will be pushing it if it is in the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone.

I have to see if any flights are available.

Is someone able to tell me how hard it is to get a taxi van after getting off the ship (Pan American Pier)?

Also, do the taxi's have seat belts?

Lastly, what is the quickest route through the airport? Just asking the taxi to stop at the main entrance to go through USDA?

Thanks

Everyone has said that taxis are normal, which means they are lined up. Many people have our experience of using a porter and getting put into a shorter taxi line.

Yes there are seatbelts. Remember, PR is the US.

Taxis are mainly priced in zones, so there’s no shorter way etc. it’s a short drive. That’s why getting from point a to b is short, but it’s the other stuff that takes time. :)

We were dropped at a door with inspection right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

Thanks

You must be kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know everyone is saying that you can't make this flight, and that IS the RIGHT answer, but... I still have to ponder the possibility.

You would have to carry off your own bags at the earliest possible time slot, as soon as they open the gangway. I would say that would be 7:30, maybe a couple of minutes earlier if you're lucky? If the ship arrives late, you're screwed.

Hopefully, CBP has a lane open and an agent that works faster than a sloth. I have heard that there are porters that can zip you through the Customs line, never tried it. If you're the first one off the ship it may not be necessary.

If you're one of the first off the ship, cabs should not be a problem. This line always moves quickly.

The early morning traffic is usually light and the ride to the airport should take 25 mins. Unless there is some hurricane related construction going on?

You would have to have carry-on bags only for the flight. They won't let you check a bag after 45 mins(?) prior to the flight. Your bag has to get on the same plane as you.

You would have to have TSA Pre and get lucky at the USDA inspection station.

That's a lot of stress to add to the end of your vacation. But there are people crazy enough to take on the challenge. For the record, on my last cruise I booked a hotel for one night and extended a day in PR. The cost ends up about the same because the Sunday flights cost so much more.

We did the self debark yesterday and we're at the airport by 7:36 am. We used porters at both the prt and the airport. We had TSA precheck and it took us about 15 minutes to get through check in, USDA inspection, bag drop and security. However, I wouldn't count on being able to make a 9 am flight. All it would take would one little hiccup and you would miss your flight.

We did the self debark yesterday and we're at the airport by 7:36 am. We used porters at both the prt and the airport. We had TSA precheck and it took us about 15 minutes to get through check in, USDA inspection, bag drop and security. However, I wouldn't count on being able to make a 9 am flight. All it would take would one little hiccup and you would miss your flight.

Thank you for reporting that. I was worried about an 11:50 am flight. Now I can rest easer about that. I will do the self debark.