Special Attire? Speedo?!

This January, I'll be going on my first cruise in 23(!) years with my husband, for whom it'll be his first. Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean! We have a good idea about what to pack clothing-wise for a week in the Caribbean. We also have a good idea of what to wear in the evenings. I'm wondering if you seasoned cruisers pack any kinds of special clothing/accessories that we may not think of. Are there any special theme parties that would be more fun if we dressed the part? Should I pack my speedo (I'd surely win any contest requiring one!)? :) Thanks in advance, folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This January, I'll be going on my first cruise in 23(!) years with my husband, for whom it'll be his first. Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean! We have a good idea about what to pack clothing-wise for a week in the Caribbean. We also have a good idea of what to wear in the evenings. I'm wondering if you seasoned cruisers pack any kinds of special clothing/accessories that we may not think of. Are there any special theme parties that would be more fun if we dressed the part? Should I pack my speedo (I'd surely win any contest requiring one!)? :) Thanks in advance, folks! Do everyone a favor, forget the speedo.:eek:

Do everyone a favor, forget the speedo!:eek:

If you have a speedo, or any kind of tight fitting/small European bathing suit for men, go ahead and wear it. Lots of Europeans in the Caribbean and you'll see this type of suit a lot more than you would on an American beach. You don't need a rock hard body to wear one either; I can see how they'd be a lot more comfortable than wearing long baggy wet shorts most American men wear. Plenty of women with far less than attractive bodies wear bikinis all the time.

Then again, if you want to bring it to win a contest, then it would be useful for the sexiest man contest, where the least sexy man with the biggest gut usually wins. A speedo would likely enhance that.

I'm a real person! The speedo bit was a joke to liven up the conversation. But my question is genuine. I've heard about 70s parties, etc. Do people pack for events like that?

I rarely see any guests dress for the 70's party.

I wear my Speedos all the time. They are Speedo brand shorts that go to my knees and differently not form fitted. Rise above the image of an old fat guy wearing tight Speedos, to the image of an old fat guy wearing shorts by Speedo that you would never know the brand name.