What travel insurance do you use?

I'm confused - are you saying you had a policy that provided med evac but you were expected to pay and then be reimbursed or something else?

I think what she said was that she bought trip insurance that was useless, and her medical insurance covered the cost. That is why, when buying insurance, you should check with your insurance carrier, and see what is covered. In the case of the poster, they bought something they did not need.

I don't need Medical as I'm covered with my employers medical insurance plan. But our Travel Insurance is provided by our Credit Card. As long as I purchase the trip using the card. The card has a $200 annual fee but comes with many perks that offset the fee by a long shot. That's all we use.

dp

Many people are comfortable using their trusted travel insurance company over and over. It's not necessarily the cheapest or the most comprehensive. I use insuremytrip because the cost for the same coverage can vary by hundreds of dollars. I pick 3-4 plans and insuremytrip will compare the details in a well laid out coverage chart. Also you should be aware, just because the insurance has a major company label does not mean it's issued by them. It could be, and is often, underwritten by yet another insurance company.

I look for medical evacuation, trip interruption (missing flights or ship), trip cancellation (illness forces me to cancel). There are other considerations that influence the price. Some offer life insurance, lost luggage, and medical insurance. The cost is greatly influenced by your age!

Most major employer medical plans will treat a medical emergency as an out-of-network visit. You pay and submit the claims.

I encourage you to find out what your needs are. Once you have done the research once, you'll feel comfortable choosing your coverage in the future. There is certainly nothing wrong with the companies mentioned here, or credit card coverage, but it may not cover your needs. Even within one company there is not one coverage. Almost all offer bronze, silver, gold, or platinum levels just to lay out different prices. There is not a one size fits all, unless you get the most expensive coverage.

Enjoy your cruise knowing you'll be covered properly.

I don't need Medical as I'm covered with my employers medical insurance plan. But our Travel Insurance is provided by our Credit Card. As long as I purchase the trip using the card. The card has a $200 annual fee but comes with many perks that offset the fee by a long shot. That's all we use.

dp

Important! credit card travel insurance does not have waivers for pre-existing conditions (which would allow those conditions to be acceptable reasons for trip cancellation/interruption). Read the fine print!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HavingFun2010, my husband called Good Sam to ask if they handled Travel Insurance and since we were Life time Members there wasn't a large payment for it, however, he failed to ask specific questions, like, what do you cover outside the US. They are very good if you have an RV and break down, they will tow your truck and RV, but they are not who to go without if traveling outside the US. I kick myself for not double checking on what he took, that is my fault and accept it.

I use Insure My Trip. I usually get secondary insurance. My current health insurance does not coordinate benefits. I do not like giving them a vacation, so I get secondary travel insurance.

Read the fine print of a policy and get the one that is good for you. I try to find a company that arranges medical payment through a Concierge Service when you have to pay for medical service before you have received any medical care.

Important! credit card travel insurance does not have waivers for pre-existing conditions (which would allow those conditions to be acceptable reasons for trip cancellation/interruption). Read the fine print!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did. I'm fine with it. Six months sounds fair to me. Thanks for the heads up.

"Pre-existing conditions applicable to Insured Persons up to and including age 64:

This insurance will not pay for expenses incurred during the Coverage Period related to:

the continuing Treatment, Recurrence, or medically recognized complication relating directly or

indirectly to a Medical Condition, for which You consulted, investigated, were diagnosed or for which Treatment was taken by You during the six (6) month period immediately before Your Coverage Period began; and

the Treatment of, or relating to, a Medical Condition, for which You exhibited any symptom during the six (6) month period immediately before Your Coverage Period began for which a reasonable

person would have made inquiries regarding their Medical Condition, regardless of whether or not

such inquiries were made.

Please note:

This exclusion does not apply to a Medical Condition controlled by the consistent use of

medication(s) taken as prescribed by a Physician provided that during the six (6) month period before Your Coverage Period began there has been no change in any medication(s) and no other Treatment has been taken or recommended. A new medication or an alteration in usage or dosage of a medication constitutes a change in medication. This exclusion does not apply to the Flight Delay Benefit."

Summergirl*14, I use Allianz for my travel insurance. They offer an annual plan that covers EVERY trip over 100 mikes from home. It is not a “cancel for any reason” policy put includes med evac. We have been very happy when we needed to file a claim.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stopped buying policies for each trip 2 years ago and went to a Annual Plan with Allianz. We have found it less expensive than insuring each cruise separately and it covers us for all our trips, land & sea.

Just a FYI Allianz annual plans you see on-line are not all they offer. There is at least one higher covenrage plan available by calling.

Age is the biggest factor. My wife and I are mid 30's and the annual plans just don't make any sense at all. Individual trips cost ~$100 total for the family (3 people) and the annual plan most equivalent to what we get is $747.

Obviously, we don't travel anywhere near enough to make that cost effective (8+ trips per year). I do travel for work about that many times, but when I travel for business my employer covers everything.