Cocktails

xvi

Looking for drink suggestions beyond my usual pina colada ;). Lol. What are your favourite cocktails / martinis / frozen drinks available / included with the ultimate beverage package? Tastiest and / or best value. Thank you!

Looking for drink suggestions beyond my usual pina colada ;). Lol. What are your favourite cocktails / martinis / frozen drinks available / included with the ultimate beverage package? Tastiest and / or best value. Thank you!

When it comes to booze, "good cheap" is unrealistic.

A cruise ship "margarita" made with Jose Cuervo, triple sec and citrus mixer is swill, at best. Even if your package charges extra, get a real Margarita (the classic made famous at Tommy's in SF): El Tesoro reposado tequila, fresh lime juice and agave syrup (yes, there's no Cointreau or any other orange type liquor in a real Margarita). And never put it in a blender!

Go to liquor.com and look up the recipes for the following three drinks, which I guarantee most folks will find unusual yet delicious:

>Aviation (Bombay Sapphire gin, Maraschino cherry liquer, fresh lemon juice and Creme de Violette).

>Sidecar (Hennessy VSOP cognac, Cointreau, fresh lemon juice)

>Sazerac (Templeton Rye, simple syrup, Absinthe wash, Peychaud bitters).

Once you've done these, we can move on to other things like Pisco Sours.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT DRINK CHEAP BOOZE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Go to liquor.com and look up the recipes for the following three drinks, which I guarantee most folks will find unusual yet delicious:

>Aviation (Bombay Sapphire gin, Maraschino cherry liquer, fresh lemon juice and Creme de Violette).

I had an Aviation (or two) pre dinner each night on Gem. Yum!

A cruise ship "margarita" made with Jose Cuervo, triple sec and citrus mixer is swill, at best. Even if your package charges extra, get a real Margarita (the classic made famous at Tommy's in SF): El Tesoro reposado tequila, fresh lime juice and agave syrup (yes, there's no Cointreau or any other orange type liquor in a real Margarita). And never put it in a blender!

Thanks for the tips. I’m curious though, what is the reason you suggest avoiding the “cheap” liquor that NCL includes within the confines of the beverage package? ... Is this due to health-related concerns? Or?

Thanks for the tips. I’m curious though, what is the reason you suggest avoiding the “cheap” liquor that NCL includes within the confines of the beverage package? ... Is this due to health-related concerns? Or?

When you're on the ship, pick a spirit like tequila and have the bartender line up three quarter to half oz mini shots of different qualities for you to try in a blind taste test. At the low quality end, Jose Cuervo Gold; in the middle, something like Patron Silver; and at the top end, El Tesoro Reposado (no need to go even higher to the more aged Anejo). Even if you don't like the general taste of tequila, you should be able to find one significantly smoother and more complex in its ultimate taste than the other two (it will be the El Tesoro and it's list price will be more expensive).

This is true of all spirits. Try Bombay Sapphire gin next to regular Bombay- significant difference. And, while some folks will say good booze is wasted in a mixed drink, IMO that's just not true.

Booze is definitely one arena where "you get what you pay for."

I am also curious, if you were to order a pina colada, for example, is it a true pina colada with real fresh fruit blended with coconut... or do they use the artificial flavoured syrup mixer?

Pina colada should be made with fresh pineapple juice and actual cream of coconut (one brand is Coco Lopez). If I were to order a Pina Colada (highly unlikely), I would also specify Mount Gay Black Barrel rum or Appleton signature rum (I prefer that to "white" rum. Regular Bacardi is just too blah.

Want a somewhat sweet creamy blended drink? Try a Gold Cadillac (Galliano, white creme de cacao and heavy cream).

When you're on the ship, pick a spirit like tequila and have the bartender line up three quarter to half oz mini shots of different qualities for you to try in a blind taste test. At the low quality end, Jose Cuervo Gold; in the middle, something like Patron Silver; and at the top end, El Tesoro Reposado (no need to go even higher to the more aged Anejo). Even if you don't like the general taste of tequila, you should be able to find one significantly smoother and more complex in its ultimate taste than the other two (it will be the El Tesoro and it's list price will be more expensive).

This is true of all spirits. Try Bombay Sapphire gin next to regular Bombay- significant difference. And, while some folks will say good booze is wasted in a mixed drink, IMO that's just not true.

Booze is definitely one arena where "you get what you pay for."

Interesting. Thanks.

Pina colada should be made with fresh pineapple juice and actual cream of coconut (one brand is Coco Lopez). If I were to order a Pina Colada (highly unlikely), I would also specify Mount Gay Black Barrel rum or Appleton signature rum (I prefer that to "white" rum. Regular Bacardi is just too blah.

Want a somewhat sweet creamy blended drink? Try a Gold Cadillac (Galliano, white creme de cacao and heavy cream).

I like fruity drinks, but only when real fruit or real fruit juice is used. The flavoured syrup mixers (think strawberry daiquiri mixer)... just too sickly sweet. Thank you for your suggestions. I will try some of them.

And thanks to everyone! ;) some good ideas!

Absolutely agree on the Sidecar--- Although I use Remy Martin VSOP.

I will try the Aviation next month on my next cruise 🚢

Absolutely agree on the Sidecar--- Although I use Remy Martin VSOP.

I will try the Aviation next month on my next cruise [emoji568]

It may be hard to come across true creme de violette, which has only come back on the scene after not being produced for several decades. BevMo liquor stores do carry it.

BTW, the cherry should be a "bada bing" real bing cherry in juice and not the neon red ones normally found in bars.

I guess I could settle for the Remy Martin[emoji41]

It may be hard to come across true creme de violette, which has only come back on the scene after not being produced for several decades. BevMo liquor stores do carry it.

BTW, the cherry should be a "bada bing" real bing cherry in juice and not the neon red ones normally found in bars.

I guess I could settle for the Remy Martin[emoji41]

Thanks for the tips on the Aviation. I will be sipping one in my dreams tonight ;)

Be sure to have the French 75 at Le Bistro. Even if the ingredients don’t speak to you, it will be the best tasting lemony fizzy thing ever. Beware, it’s named after an artillery piece. ;p