Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

One person getting a lower %, does not mean that RCCI kept it. There is one pool to receive. If some don't get the full, others could very well get the leftover, point is, we just don't know.

That's how bonuses were done at my wife's former employer

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

But this doesn't mean the entire gratuity isn't still shared with the staff. What you are suggesting is that percentages change. Nothing here suggests that Royal pockets anything at all.

If staff member A scores 88% and is eligible to receive 90% of their tip share, and staff member B scores 95% and is eligible to receive 100% of their tip share; where did the remainder go? Not to employee B. Some may go into a general crew fund. Either way, all the money is collected by the company, and then distributed in a manner, and at a time, that management deems, not the employee.

Why do you keep referring to the crew as underprivileged? I view them as humans and equals. I don't pity them or think their existence is worth less. Yes, they work hard and are away from home. Many people are in those situations. They do so to earn a better life for themselves. Show them some respect already!

That's how bonuses were done at my wife's former employer

This has nothing to do with bonuses. I have target metrics to hit to achieve my goals. If I miss my goals, I earn less money. Because I earned less money does not mean my colleague has earned more, because they have their own metrics to earn against. The company simply pays out less.

This has nothing to do with bonuses. I have target metrics to hit to achieve my goals. If I miss my goals, I earn less money. Because I earned less money does not mean my colleague has earned more, because they have their own metrics to earn against. The company simply pays out less.

No, there is a pool of money set aside for performance. Those that perform better, get a bigger slice. The average ones get the standard slice and the underachieving may not get any slice

No, there is a pool of money set aside for performance. Those that perform better, get a bigger slice. The average ones get the standard slice and the underachieving may not get any slice

Cruise line guarantees a basic monthly rate. Certain staff are eligible for gratuity pool at a standardized rate far below total amount collected. If staff member performance below certain threshold, they receive less. Since the score metrics top out at 100 it is virtually impossible to overperform and thus over earn the pool amount (this is where cash supplements come in). For a performance goal at a company, if I outsell my metrics, I continue to earn. There is no theoretical limit to what I can earn and it is totally separate from my colleagues except that our plans are the same.

All that said, here is the bottom line, the cruise line decided who is eligible for the pool and then measures their performance to see who gets a full share or who gets less than a full share. This pool costs the cruise line nothing and until such time as they go into their own pockets regularly to reach the base amount, the system will not change. Cruise management, frankly, does not really care what you do; the gty rate is low enough to start with. It's like a restaurant; the owner doesn't really care one way or the other if you tip a waiter 15% or 40%, other than to indicate your overall satisfaction with their business.

Cruise line guarantees a basic monthly rate. Certain staff are eligible for gratuity pool at a standardized rate far below total amount collected. If staff member performance below certain threshold, they receive less. Since the score metrics top out at 100 it is virtually impossible to overperform and thus over earn the pool amount (this is where cash supplements come in). For a performance goal at a company, if I outsell my metrics, I continue to earn. There is no theoretical limit to what I can earn and it is totally separate from my colleagues except that our plans are the same.

All that said, here is the bottom line, the cruise line decided who is eligible for the pool and then measures their performance to see who gets a full share or who gets less than a full share. This pool costs the cruise line nothing and until such time as they go into their own pockets regularly to reach the base amount, the system will not change. Cruise management, frankly, does not really care what you do; the gty rate is low enough to start with. It's like a restaurant; the owner doesn't really care one way or the other if you tip a waiter 15% or 40%, other than to indicate your overall satisfaction with their business.

Why do you assume the metric tops out 100? That is not always the case. Depends on the program.

Why do you assume the metric tops out 100? That is not always the case. Depends on the program.

What program are you referring to? Your wifes? Mine? Mine doesn't top out at 100. Does not sound like your wifes does either. But for dining staff on RCI, it does. Staff generally can receive additional consideration from guest comments though.

Either way, the point is, the cruise line controls how much they pay out and when they pay out. Gratuity you may pay ahead in advance is not going to be distributed until weeks after the cruise at managements discretion.

Same way pay raises were passed out in my past Company. Pay for performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What program are you referring to? Your wifes? Mine? Mine doesn't top out at 100. Does not sound like your wifes does either. But for dining staff on RCI, it does. Staff generally can receive additional consideration from guest comments though.

Either way, the point is, the cruise line controls how much they pay out and when they pay out. Gratuity you may pay ahead in advance is not going to be distributed until weeks after the cruise at managements discretion.

How do you as a passenger know that? I seem to recall there was discussion on this some time ago and high performing tip pool staff could get a bigger share of the tip pool.

I'm retired now, no worries about BS performance metrics. 😉

How do you as a passenger know that? I seem to recall there was discussion on this some time ago and high performing tip pool staff could get a bigger share of the tip pool.

I'm retired now, no worries about BS performance metrics. 😉

The same way you as a passenger would know it; asking questions of management while on a tour. Whenever I offer this information I urge people to go verify for themselves.

So a manager onboard told you that Royal did not distribute 100% of the collected tips. 😱

They told me that staff have to hit certain percentages to get their full share of the pool, otherwise they get less than the full share.

On your next cruise ask for yourself if you don't believe what I was told.

So a manager onboard told you that Royal did not distribute 100% of the collected tips. [emoji33]

I heard it from the towel guy who heard it from the Stateroom Attendant who heard it from the Massage Therapist, who was giving the Captain a massage.

They told me that staff have to hit certain percentages to get their full share of the pool, otherwise they get less than the full share.

On your next cruise ask for yourself if you don't believe what I was told.

Yes, we've all heard that, but that doesn't mean you can't earn more, correct

Yes, we've all heard that, but that doesn't mean you can't earn more, correct

I don't have a copy of their pay plan. They can earn more than "what"? Words have meanings, so let's be specific. Earn more than their base pay? Absolutely. Earn more than their tip pool share via cash? Yes. Earn more within the pool because the pool is larger on cruise B versus cruise A? Yes. Earn more than 100% of their share of any given pool as paid out by performance? Not so sure of that.

If this is going to devolve into the Royal Caribbean Cheerleading squad beating me down for sharing what I've learned, I'm out. You can all berate the cheapskates and pat each other on the back for leaving an extra $20.

I hope your not calling me a cheapskate because we are far from it.

I don't have a copy of their pay plan. They can earn more than "what"? Words have meanings, so let's be specific. Earn more than their base pay? Absolutely. Earn more than their tip pool share via cash? Yes. Earn more within the pool because the pool is larger on cruise B versus cruise A? Yes. Earn more than 100% of their share of any given pool as paid out by performance? Not so sure of that.

The last one. Sorry not more specific. No access to a keyboard. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just think it's ludicrous that Royal could not distribute 100% of the tip pool. Reward those that do well, and penalize those that don't.

The last one. Sorry not more specific. No access to a keyboard. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just think it's ludicrous that Royal could not distribute 100% of the tip pool. Reward those that do well, and penalize those that don't.

2 people in the Tip (Bonus) pool

Hit your target, you get 100% of your share.

Miss your target, get 80%.

Pool is $800.

Person A hits the target. They get 100% of their share, or $400.

Person B misses, gets 80%, or $320.

There is $80 left over. I don't think the corp is gonna go to Person A and give them an extra $80 because Person B performed poorly.

If a program allows for <100% of the pool to be paid, there is going to be a surplus and the corp is not gonna bend over backwards looking to shower that money just to get the balance down the zero. Unless they are contractually obligated to. Who knows, maybe they are. Does it say anywhere publicly available to us that 100% of all Service Charge / Gratuity fees collected that week will be distributed to the staff that week?

And yeah, the level of sanctimony is this thread is hitting some all time highs (not referring to you John). Godwin's Law coming into play is certainly a possibility at this rate.

i dont post often but figured id come here and see whats new since i just booked another cruise with royal... then i came across this thread.

tipping is OPTIONAL. giving someone a guaranteed tip makes them lazy. i ALWAYS take the tips off but i always tip cash. if you do what i ask, you'll get more cash. always have the ice full and always have fresh towels. i dont even care if the bed is made. some understand, some dont. i love people that look down on others for removing tips. none of you truly know how much of that money actually does to the room stewarts anyway lmao