Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

Passenger:

"I want to remove the Daily Service Charge"

Guest Services:

" No problem, but you do realise there's a one time 'removal' service charge for that"?

Passenger:

"For what"?!

Guest Services:

"For one pair of oars"

Passenger:

"I don't need a pair of oars"!!

Guest Services:

" You'll need the oars to row ashore...."

(y)

e4a375cbc5fea2dbd955bc639ac7caed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passenger:

Guest Services:

" No problem, but you do realise there's a one time 'removal' service charge for that"?

Passenger:

"For what"?!

Guest Services:

"For one pair of oars"

Passenger:

Guest Services:

Very good.

That's not "my standard" - that's a fact. Royal Caribbean charges a set daily fee for the services you have available to use at your leisure. You'll notice on the Royal tipping policy, "I didn't really use that service very much" is not a mentioned reason to reduce the daily gratuity. It's "in the unlikely event service was not satisfactory."

I would also agree that additional tips, above and beyond the included gratuity, would generally be given to employees that have gone above and beyond standard level of service.

What satisfies or dissatisfies someone else is up to them. If someone doesn't use a service and is dissatisfied being charged for it, so be it. I'm thankful to have had good service. Sometimes excellent. Sometimes they get what is charged to me, sometimes they get more. I just feel it's up to each person what they want to do. Someone will do less than me. Someone will do more than me. I do what I'm comfortable with.

I think the mechanism needs to exist because I believe that once you make a service charge mandatory you remove an incentive for a team to perform together to provide good service. I do believe that staff knowing this is within guest control does help maintain those good service levels. That's just my opinion.

What is, frankly, sickening is people on here who pretend they work for the company and want to berate or shame others. We all pay for the same experiences and services. When you belittle others you pave the way for YOU to receive less value for money in the future. Put aside some of the childish antics I'd be ashamed to hear come out of a toddlers mouth; You can not normalize reductions in service, or shame people for exercising options allowed within rules. Why any paying guest would defend a for profit corporation is bewildering. You must expect greatness for your hard earned money.

And if you think the crew receive every cent you are charged I have oceanfront property in Nevada going for a great rate...

There is no such thing as "over tipping." And it says a lot about your personality and culture that you think the workers are worth less than a "Yank" feels they are.

Absolutely agree on the cultural difference and the different view on work-ethics, service and the differentiation between workers and the work they do - as well as the value of a service.

What is "above and beyond" for you - might just be regular for others.....

Absolutely agree on the cultural difference and the different view on work-ethics, service and the differentiation between workers and the work they do - as well as the value of a service.

What is "above and beyond" for you - might just be regular for others.....

It doesn't matter what is regular or above and beyond. You said "over tipping" - as in the "Yanks" tip too much. Who are you to say that? Considering the optional nature of tipping extra, the value provided by that worker was exactly what the "Yank" thought it was worth. That's not an "over tip" - that's just a tip. And sure, it bothers you - German, right? Why? Because you are cheap and don't think these workers have as much value as an American?

That's right. And cruise ships do not operate on an American tipping system, either. It's as simple as being respectful and going along with what is customary.

"Nobody cares what Brits do at home or what they think on this matter."

Perhaps nobody cares what you think is customary either. Customary with whom?

On any Gratuities Thread there are posters who demand that others pay gratuities, and many times also state they pay above the recommended as though they want their egos massaged and their holos polished.

UPDATE:

Very good.

Passenger:

Guest Services:

Passenger:

"For what"?!

Guest Services:

"For one pair of oars"

Passenger:

Guest Services:

UPDATE:

The passenger demanded a 50% discounted ' Service Removal Charge ' .

Why....?

As a solo cruiser, the passenger refused to be charged for 2 oars to row himself ashore....

:ship:

Edited by oldguysandgalls
editing.

Care to provide your source?

When we were given a tour onboard Legend in 2014 they had the wait staffs percentage scores posted. We were told that staff had to be over a certain threshold to receive the full share of the gratuity pool. Remember, they are only guaranteed a base rate that is usually easily met. But if they fail to perform to top levels, the company may elect to withhold some amount of gratuity pool from them. Next time you are on a ship if any behind the scenes tour is available to you, take it and ask for yourself. This is a message board and I expect you'll want to verify for yourself and that no explanation or level of proof I could present here would be satisfactory. I encourage you to ask for yourself .

RCCL was one of the last major cruise lines to add the gratuity this was about 10 years ago, still preferred old way handing out envelopes at end of the cruise, I think RCCL could do a much better job explain where this goes, as said service is normally excellent and we always tip room attendant , rarely eat in MDR , but tip each meal for specialty restaurants including breakfast ( been cruising in a suite recently)

Here's an idea, when you go remove the DSC you have to wear a badge around that says I WON'T PAY THE SERVICE CHARGE. See how you are received.

And next up we'll have some CCer's screaming for signs that read:

" I DIDN'T TIP EXTRA "

" I PRE-TIPPED "

" I TIPPED IN CASH SO I MISSED SOMEBODY "

Watch out what you wish for - you might be wearing a sign soon enough yourself.

Edited by DirtyDawg

When we were given a tour onboard Legend in 2014 they had the wait staffs percentage scores posted. We were told that staff had to be over a certain threshold to receive the full share of the gratuity pool. Remember, they are only guaranteed a base rate that is usually easily met. But if they fail to perform to top levels, the company may elect to withhold some amount of gratuity pool from them. Next time you are on a ship if any behind the scenes tour is available to you, take it and ask for yourself. This is a message board and I expect you'll want to verify for yourself and that no explanation or level of proof I could present here would be satisfactory. I encourage you to ask for yourself .

One person getting a lower %, does not mean that RCCI kept it. There is one pool to receive. If some don't get the full, others could very well get the leftover, point is, we just don't know.

Why? They are usually getting a price break on the 3rd and 4th person, or kids sail free promotion. Kids are actually usually more work than adults. Cabin stewards have to clean up after them, linens, towels, etc. Dining room staff bends over backwards for kids.

I travel solo. My cabin is neat and tidy ...... I usually pay a hefty single supplement. I wouldn't dream of expecting to pay less based on fact that I am less work. In fact, I normally tip on top of the suggested gratuities.

Kids grow up - when my kids were sailing with me, and now they sail with their kids, it's part of the budget. We tipped for four in a cabin - and clean and neat as we tried to be, it was a mess. Try two adults and two teenagers in an inside cabin on the Majesty or Rhapsody! Sorry, if you choose to cruise, or eat out with your kids, you need to tip accordingly.

No different than going out to eat and tipping a percentage of the bill, which might include a kids meal.

FWIW, I kinda of think the cabin stewards get the shortage end of the stick with a solo passenger.

Clean bathroom, make the bed, tidy the room. Most of that doesn't change between couple and solo.

It does change with 3/4 passengers because of the additional bedding and having to open them and close them between usage.

Just saying

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Not new; one could probably find a tipping thread (or take any other topic du jour) from when CC started and the same was probably discussed. CC didn't invent human nature.

well I would have to disagree, I have been in here for a few years now and it definitely has escalated to a new level of not answering in a helpful manner but imposing one's better than you opinion instead. If you can't offer basic answers, then keep the rest of the snark out of it and don't reply. It's that simple.

I understand your point. Just think we could all be kinder.

There's negative and then there is lecturing and being snarky and downright mean. I find the latter to be more offer than negative.... All in the delivery ... Offer information, not your own personal attack on someone because you think your way is the only way.

Originally posted by Grandma Dazzles Why? They are usually getting a price break on the 3rd and 4th person, or kids sail free promotion. Kids are actually usually more work than adults. Cabin stewards have to clean up after them, linens, towels, etc. Dining room staff bends over backwards for kids.

Not the many adults I have seen, Kids don't snap fingers at staff to come to them, Kids don't demand drinks, kids don't go to the desk and raise "he**"

I travel solo. My cabin is neat and tidy ...... I usually pay a hefty single supplement. I wouldn't dream of expecting to pay less based on fact that I am less work. In fact, I normally tip on top of the suggested gratuities.

That is your choice to tip more, it is others to remove them.

Kids grow up - when my kids were sailing with me, and now they sail with their kids, it's part of the budget. We tipped for four in a cabin - and clean and neat as we tried to be, it was a mess. Try two adults and two teenagers in an inside cabin on the Majesty or Rhapsody! Sorry, if you choose to cruise, or eat out with your kids, you need to tip accordingly.

It shouldn't have to be, it should be like any other place an option and it is.

No different than going out to eat and tipping a percentage of the bill, which might include a kids meal.

If you don't like the service at a restaurant( kids meal or not) you don't tip for bad service, no one forces it nor should they.

I understand your point. Just think we could all be kinder.

It doesn't happen anymore sadly, it is dog eat dog here and it gets worse as more "seasoned" cruisers come in. been watching it escalate over the past 3-4 years. was always a bit there, but it has definitely gotten to a new level of just plain meanness and holier than thou. I won't even attempt to ask any questions for the fact I know I'll get a lot of snark back, and that is what I thought this forum was about was information not badgering and belittling... how it has changed. sad really

It doesn't happen anymore sadly, it is dog eat dog here and it gets worse as more "seasoned" cruisers come in. been watching it escalate over the past 3-4 years. was always a bit there, but it has definitely gotten to a new level of just plain meanness and holier than thou. I won't even attempt to ask any questions for the fact I know I'll get a lot of snark back, and that is what I thought this forum was about was information not badgering and belittling... how it has changed. sad really

And some topics are worse than others.

"Nobody cares what Brits do at home or what they think on this matter."

Perhaps nobody cares what you think is customary either. Customary with whom?

On any Gratuities Thread there are posters who demand that others pay gratuities, and many times also state they pay above the recommended as though they want their egos massaged and their holos polished.

It's simple to know what is customary. It's right on the Royal Caribbean website. It's fairly standardized across an entire industry. And you are even notified of the amount before entering your credit card.

Customary to whom? Well, everyone who isn't looking for excuses to abuse underprivileged workers.

But this doesn't mean the entire gratuity isn't still shared with the staff. What you are suggesting is that percentages change. Nothing here suggests that Royal pockets anything at all.