Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

I tend to agree. Tips are for the people you interact with providing you good service. The support staff behind the scenes are part of the businesses cost of operating a floating hotel. They do not see or interact with the guest and therefore their wages should be paid fairly for their work they do for the employer, not made to tied to customer thank yous. The company gets away with putting them in the tip pool because it's easy to guilt guests into paying it. I have never heard of a laundry worker or maintenance person in another industry needing to rely on a tip pool from guests they never see or interact with. Flawed system

As a compulsive tipper i do agree with your comments.

I also think the cruise lines use project fear to get guests to pay into the tip pool and not stop the tips to pay crew individually as some do and don't believe crew will actually hand in personal cash tips.

I am sure that I will be vilified like the devil himself, but the cruise line should include gratuities if the purchase price if they are essential to the bottom line. I include paying the crew in the bottom line. After booking and full paying for the cruise, my child support payments were reduced to less than half because x lost his job. So I had very little money to spare. I realize some say if you can't afford the gratuities then don't go. Well, I could not afford them but I went anyway with my two preschoolers. I decided I would reduce the gratuity payment to $100 because that was what I could afford. The woman a customer service kindly told me that she could not do that but she could just remove it completely which is what she did with no questions asked. I then gave cash tips to the room steward and both waiters. I realize that there are others behind the scenes, but gratuities are not for persons behind the scenes. When you go to a restaurant you tip the waiter not the line cook, chef, or people who puss the tables. When you go to a hotel, I tip the housekeeper, not he people who do the laundry.

So, people should sympathize with your reduced income, but you feel okay about reducing someone else's income? Hmmm. The grats are part of most staff's salaries. It is a known fact. It's not some icing on the cake.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

“Standard Staterooms:

$6.10 - Dining Services

$3.45 - Stateroom Attendant

$3.95 - Other Hotel Services

Suites:

$6.10 - Dining Services

$6.10 - Suite Attendant

$4.30 - Other Hotel Services”

There used to be an assistant room steward. His tip was about the same as the Assistant Waiter

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

So, people should sympathize with your reduced income, but you feel okay about reducing someone else's income? Hmmm. The grats are part of most staff's salaries. It is a known fact. It's not some icing on the cake.

I am not asking for anyone's sympathy. I am just stating that because of my reduced income I decided to reduce the tip amount to $100. I was told I had to remove it rather than reduce it. So I gave that cash directly to the stateroom attendant and dinner waiters. RCI as an employer reduces income by paying salaries from a tip pool rather than from revenue.

This is an informative article about cruise line gratuities:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

From that article:

"But don't be a cheapskate -- pay the gratuity. You may not agree with how the cruise line unbundles their employee compensation, but some crew members are depending on that tip for a fair wage."

I am not asking for anyone's sympathy. I am just stating that because of my reduced income I decided to reduce the tip amount to $100. I was told I had to remove it rather than reduce it. So I gave that cash directly to the stateroom attendant and dinner waiters. RCI as an employer reduces income by paying salaries from a tip pool rather than from revenue.

So you decided you needed to cruise anyway, and too bad for the underprivileged workers who get their income reduced because of your failures? Fantastic! Amazed you feel secure enough in such despicable behavior to share it publicly. I sure hope you are not passing on these lessons to your children.

You seem very genuine and i understand you when expected income doesn't materialise.

In your circumstances still giving cash tips was very noble of you and should be congratulated not scorned.

Regards.

Graham&Pauline. Grapau27.

. After booking and full paying for the cruise, my child support payments were reduced to less than half because x lost his job. So I had very little money to spare.

Call me stupid but I thought child support payment is for clothes and health and ect. Didn't know it included payment for a cruise. Sorry but just doesn't sound right.

. After booking and full paying for the cruise, my child support payments were reduced to less than half because x lost his job. So I had very little money to spare.

Call me stupid but I thought child support payment is for clothes and health and ect. Didn't know it included payment for a cruise. Sorry but just doesn't sound right.

Ok see if you can keep up. The money that was intended for the tips now supplements the reduced child support used for clothes and health etc.

In other words if she is getting 500 dollars less now from child support she has to use 500 dollars that she was going to use on the cruise to buy clothes food and medicine.

Hope this helps

^^^^^^This

Some people confuse niceties with necessities!

Ok see if you can keep up. The money that was intended for the tips now supplements the reduced child support used for clothes and health etc.

In other words if she is getting 500 dollars less now from child support she has to use 500 dollars that she was going to use on the cruise to buy clothes food and medicine.

Hope this helps

And was past cancellation date when it all went to ...

^^^^^^This

So what exactly are you proposing? She paid for the cruise, but then lost some money coming in (no matter what it is for). She made the choice to still do the cruise (many people would), but had to cut somewhere. Just because child support is supposed to be for clothing, food and medications, when that money goes away, she can't just stop paying for those things, so the money that would have been going to tips and other additional items now has to be redirected back towards the essential items.

While I would not want to drop tips, I can understand having unplanned for extenuating circumstances.

So you decided you needed to cruise anyway, and too bad for the underprivileged workers who get their income reduced because of your failures? Fantastic! Amazed you feel secure enough in such despicable behavior to share it publicly. I sure hope you are not passing on these lessons to your children.

As a compulsive tipper i do agree with your comments.

I also think the cruise lines use project fear to get guests to pay into the tip pool and not stop the tips to pay crew individually as some do and don't believe crew will actually hand in personal cash tips.

As a compulsive tipper, do you tip the cabin crew on your flight, do you know they are not well paid?

Do you leave a tip for the catering staff, the people who make your in flight meals are not well paid?

Do you make sure the baggage handlers are tipped? They sometime have to top off their poor wages by stealing from passengers cases.

As a compulsive tipper, do you tip the cabin crew on your flight, do you know they are not well paid?

Do you leave a tip for the catering staff, the people who make your in flight meals are not well paid?

Do you make sure the baggage handlers are tipped? They sometime have to top off their poor wages by stealing from passengers cases.

If in-flight cabin crews were customarily tipped to the point that the airline automatically charged it after my flight... of course I would tip them. You aren't making the point that you think you are.

Make no mistake. If she is able to justify continuing with the cruise, she could have found a way to come up with the few extra bucks to properly compensate the staff. What she is saying is that the hard working staff is simply not worth the effort and she is obviously shameless, so a sense of pride and self-respect are not apparent. Put it on credit. Ask parents for help. Dig a little deeper into the account, etc. But that would require having a sense of self-responsibility, maturity, and respect for others that is obviously lacking.

Why don't you read a great thread called I Flaunt My Loyalty Status started by Cigar King and chill out.

Why don't you read a great thread called I Flaunt My Loyalty Status started by Cigar King and chill out.

I'm quite chilled, sorry to have quoted you,wasn't meant to upset you. Just getting the hang of increasing my post count.:cool:

Are you saying that children of divorced parents don't deserve a vacation? OR do not like the gratuities deduction?

Not at all but don't count on child support to pay for the vacations. Because of this exact issue with a deduction on child support.

Not at all but don't count on child support to pay for the vacations. Because of this exact issue with a deduction on child support.

What?

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, unveiled on Thursday, includes a provision to kill the deduction that taxpayers get for making such payments to an ex-spouse. (alimony) ... Child support, which is separate from alimony, already offers no deduction.

If in-flight cabin crews were customarily tipped to the point that the airline automatically charged it after my flight... of course I would tip them. You aren't making the point that you think you are.

Make no mistake. If she is able to justify continuing with the cruise, she could have found a way to come up with the few extra bucks to properly compensate the staff. What she is saying is that the hard working staff is simply not worth the effort and she is obviously shameless, so a sense of pride and self-respect are not apparent. Put it on credit. Ask parents for help. Dig a little deeper into the account, etc. But that would require having a sense of self-responsibility, maturity, and respect for others that is obviously lacking.

A strange little world you live in.

I believe she wrote that she tipped those who actually dealt with her to the tune of $100.

There hard working staff you will meet throughout life, you would soon be a poor soul if you felt obliged to remunerate them all.

Emotionally I think it might drain you.

I salute you for your stand against those you who don't share your tipping beliefs. However instead of being rude to them on this forum, perhaps you ought to use your energy in getting the cruise lines to pay their staff the wage you think they deserve.

What?

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, unveiled on Thursday, includes a provision to kill the deduction that taxpayers get for making such payments to an ex-spouse. (alimony) ... Child support, which is separate from alimony, already offers no deduction.

What I am saying is if you are going to go on vacation thats great but plan according to your own money in case the ex spouse loses a job and your child support is cut in half or cut off. But I truly think its wrong to cut the tips as the workers don't get much money as it is and work their behinds off. I just wish the cruiselines would add it in the cost of the cruise.

This is just my thoughts, doesn't mean I am right or wrong.

I'm quite chilled, sorry to have quoted you,wasn't meant to upset you. Just getting the hang of increasing my post count.:cool:

No problem.

I do flaunt my C&A status thread is still running.

You should read it from the beginning it is hilarious and you can quickly increase your post count if you reply to the posts.