Chanukah - apparently doesn't exist on RCI

That would be lovely. I hope that they do that on the Anthem. I questioned via email twice and was told no. Time will tell. It is good to hear of others who enjoyed their Chanukah abord RCI ships!

The issue is that the onshore people don’t know what goes on on the ships unless it’s a big activity like dreamworks parades.

You’re putting your trust in and getting irked by answers given by people who don’t know.

I was on Oasis from Oct 29-Nov 12, and I was absolutely shocked to see that there was a kosher-friendly breakfast station in the WJ, Shabbat services listed in the Cruise Compass, and kosher style hot dogs, and yet, EVERY type of cold cuts put out during lunch time were some sort of pork. Seriously, would it kill them to have turkey?

I was on Oasis from Oct 29-Nov 12, and I was absolutely shocked to see that there was a kosher-friendly breakfast station in the WJ, Shabbat services listed in the Cruise Compass, and kosher style hot dogs, and yet, EVERY type of cold cuts put out during lunch time were some sort of pork. Seriously, would it kill them to have turkey?

Seriously, would it kill you to have one on the other hundreds of choices instead of cold cuts? 😉

And I'll just state the (to me) obvious. You don't keep kosher, but you just don't eat pork? This one's on you, my friend.

Seriously, would it kill you to have one on the other hundreds of choices instead of cold cuts? 😉

And I'll just state the (to me) obvious. You don't keep kosher, but you just don't eat pork? This one's on you, my friend.

Yeah, you packed that in with so many assumptions, it's ridiculous.

1. I've never seen a cold cut platter that DIDN'T include turkey. Considering turkey sandwiches and ham sandwiches are the most common sandwiches in the United States (where Oasis sails from), this is not an unreasonable expectation. Sandwiches are also quite common for lunch, so no, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that RCI might have an option for folks who don't eat pork (which includes a wide variety of ethnic and religious cultures)

2. I'm Jewish. Specifically, Reform Jewish, not that that's any of your business. I keep "kosher style." Why not full kosher? Logistics - it happens to be impossible to procure kosher food where I live, so I do what I can. "Kosher style" means I don't eat pork or shellfish, nor do I mix dairy and meat. I don't care about how the animal was slaughtered or if a Rabbi blessed it or if it has a kasher symbol on it, but I DO mind if I'm eating something that I have chosen to abstain from due to my own personal beliefs.

3. I tried most of those "other options." Here's the conclusion I came to - the food in the WJ is just plain DISGUSTING. Agree or disagree, but again, it's not unreasonable for a ship to carry a VARIETY onboard. There are plenty of kids who are pickier than I am. They all have to eat, too.

When I go to a buffet - ship or land - I expect variety. The term literally implies variety. If every choice is pork (and it was on a particular Saturday - literally EVERY option with some sort of protein had a pork component), then that's not a variety.

It would do you well to pay attention before you make gross assumptions.

That would be lovely. I hope that they do that on the Anthem. I questioned via email twice and was told no. Time will tell. It is good to hear of others who enjoyed their Chanukah abord RCI ships!

The reality is that the shoreside staff knows very little of what ships do to make the experience on board more cruiser friendly for example with Shabbat/Saturday services, or Chanukah. Even the Sunday morning services are publicized in the Cruise Compass, but from what people have told me, they pipe in some religious service via big screen. They don't have a priest or pastor onboard to lead it either.

Our personal experience on Her Majesty was quite fun. There were quite a few people with their children who attended and enough of us knew what to do and then we sang the appropriate songs for the holiday. The food went beyond potatoe latkes and donuts. Clearly they thought that every Jewish holiday needed a giant challah and bagels and lox. But the EFFORT on the part of the staff was well appreciated! Keep in mind that this was immediately before the early dinner seating. So it just added to the food fest, that cruising is well known for.

I took the time to thank the Hotel Manager who is the one that tries to put together these things. So if you are sailing over Chanukah in a few weeks....after boarding the ship, seek out the Hotel Manager and ASK them if something is planned for Chanukah....if they haven't given it some thought, YOU will be putting the thought in their head.

Thanks everyone! We are all in agreement - no rabbi is needed. It happened to have been nice to have one on the HAL cruise, just because it was very organized. Chanukah celebration of some sort would be nice and appreciated. I hope that someone from RCI is following this thread and helps to make that happen. Even though it is an individual mitzvah to light the menorah - I feel that there is something special about meeting up with others and sharing in the celebrating while far from home. If there is nothing set up for our first night, then at the meet and mingle on the first day we will reach out to the officers present.

I will let you know the outcome after the cruise!

Hi. I was on the Anthem last year for the holiday sailing, where Chanukah, Christmas and New Years were all celebrated. There as a rabbi on board so we had services that were led by him every night - however - even without the rabbi, there were menorah lightings listed for 5:00 every night outside of Michael's Pub. The Rabbi then on his own initiative led a larger service every night at the windjammer where I believe Latkes were served (but I could be wrong - we had 5:30 seating for dinner, so we never made it up to Windjammer).

We also, because we were not sure if there would be services, brought our own menorah. There was also a rousing round of Chanukah songs sung by many of our fellow passengers every night after the lighting.

I will try to find a few pictures and post them here.

Yeah, you packed that in with so many assumptions, it's ridiculous.

1. I've never seen a cold cut platter that DIDN'T include turkey. Considering turkey sandwiches and ham sandwiches are the most common sandwiches in the United States (where Oasis sails from), this is not an unreasonable expectation. Sandwiches are also quite common for lunch, so no, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that RCI might have an option for folks who don't eat pork (which includes a wide variety of ethnic and religious cultures)

2. I'm Jewish. Specifically, Reform Jewish, not that that's any of your business. I keep "kosher style." Why not full kosher? Logistics - it happens to be impossible to procure kosher food where I live, so I do what I can. "Kosher style" means I don't eat pork or shellfish, nor do I mix dairy and meat. I don't care about how the animal was slaughtered or if a Rabbi blessed it or if it has a kasher symbol on it, but I DO mind if I'm eating something that I have chosen to abstain from due to my own personal beliefs.

3. I tried most of those "other options." Here's the conclusion I came to - the food in the WJ is just plain DISGUSTING. Agree or disagree, but again, it's not unreasonable for a ship to carry a VARIETY onboard. There are plenty of kids who are pickier than I am. They all have to eat, too.

When I go to a buffet - ship or land - I expect variety. The term literally implies variety. If every choice is pork (and it was on a particular Saturday - literally EVERY option with some sort of protein had a pork component), then that's not a variety.

It would do you well to pay attention before you make gross assumptions.

I deserved some sort of blowback for some of my assumptions......but that is one of my pet peeves. Sorry about that. Anyway, it seems that the issue is more that you don't like the Windjammer, period, and that it has little or nothing to do with kosher-style eating.

I have never experienced a Windjammer that I didn't like or couldn't find something to eat.

I am sad that your experience has been different in that regard.

Depending on the ship, there are other options. Unless you are staying on board on a port day, the Main Dining Room is open for lunch.

The bigger the ship, the more lunch venue choices there are.

If you speak to the Head Waiter (Maitre D'?) with your concerns they will have dishes available for your specific needs both in the MDR and the Windjammer. They can't anticipate thousands of passengers personal dietary needs.

Isn't kosher friendly breakfast, eggs, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, lox, bagels, etc., etc.? Shocked to see these items? I see them on every cruise in the WJ.

If you speak to the Head Waiter (Maitre D'?) with your concerns they will have dishes available for your specific needs both in the MDR and the Windjammer. They can't anticipate thousands of passengers personal dietary needs.

Isn't kosher friendly breakfast, eggs, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, lox, bagels, etc., etc.? Shocked to see these items? I see them on every cruise in the WJ.

I agree that what you have listed is in every WJ on every cruise on Royal that I have taken....it doesn't get qualified as 'kosher friendly' area of the buffet....but when BensonFan711 used the term it surely creates curiosity as to what was meant. BensonFan711 also mentioned the term 'kosher style hot dogs' -- a hot dog is either kosher or it is not. If by kosher style was meant 'all beef' that doesn't make it kosher, it would just make it 'made of all beef' meaning no pork or fillers.

Kosher friendly is an oxymoron. It is either kosher or it is not.

According to the information we've been given by Royal Caribbean International, here's what you'll find onboard a Royal Caribbean ship for Hanukkah.

Hanukkah: Hanukkah will be celebrated with lighting ceremonies, songs, games, food and even a kids' history of Hanukkah.

According to the information we've been given by Royal Caribbean International, here's what you'll find onboard a Royal Caribbean ship for Hanukkah.

Hanukkah: Hanukkah will be celebrated with lighting ceremonies, songs, games, food and even a kids' history of Hanukkah.

That's great news! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be on Oasis 12/17 and I was hoping for both a Hanukkah and Christmas free atmosphere.

What you can expect to see is a Chanukah menorah displayed as well as a Christmas tree decorated. I have never been on a sailing that occurred during Chanukah without it being acknowledged.

No, they do Christmas. There is a Christmas tree, Christmas lights, Santa Claus, Christmas music and all of the other Christmas traditions. There is even a special Christmas dinner.
I meant they don't do Christmas in any religious sense (just as they don't have a rabbi). You won't see a nativity, etc.

Trees, lights, Santa-- those are all cultural Christmas. Even Christmas music has gone secular; all we hear on the radio these days is Baby, It's Cold Outside or Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer -- whereas it wasn't all that long ago that Silent Night or Angels We Have Heard on High were commonplace. Elements of cultural Christmas are things pretty much everyone accepts, even people who don't believe in Christ's Mass.

Regardless, they'll never please everyone. I agree with the poster who points out that you don't need a rabbi (or priest or whatever) to celebrate.

I cannot speak for other sailings, but I will be the rabbi on the Dec. 4 sailing of Serenade. This cruise includes the first three nights of Chanukah, I will be leading Shabbat eve and Chanukah services. I do not know what other provisions will be made for the celebration,

I meant they don't do Christmas in any religious sense (just as they don't have a rabbi). You won't see a nativity, etc.

Trees, lights, Santa-- those are all cultural Christmas. Even Christmas music has gone secular; all we hear on the radio these days is Baby, It's Cold Outside or Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer -- whereas it wasn't all that long ago that Silent Night or Angels We Have Heard on High were commonplace. Elements of cultural Christmas are things pretty much everyone accepts, even people who don't believe in Christ's Mass.

Regardless, they'll never please everyone. I agree with the poster who points out that you don't need a rabbi (or priest or whatever) to celebrate.

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"?! LOL