Is my TA not telling the truth

Last week my cruise dropped 48 dollars for a cabin, not a big savings but still a savings. I asked my TA if she could get the price adjusted and she said the Royal told her it was only on new bookings.

This week I see for both black Friday and Cyber Monday they are offering some OBC for my cruise. Is this only on new bookings or should I be able to get it. I'm not sailing until 2019, but every bit helps.

I sent her a message asking her on Friday but haven't heard anything.

And since I have it booked through a TA I can't call royal myself.

Hi I have a may 2018 booking through a TA. On Friday I got the price adjustment and also the OBC from the new promo added. So it should be possible. 1 thing though my original refundable deposit had to be re confirmed as non refundable - but since it saved me $800 total i had no problem with that. Definitely ask again!

Last week my cruise dropped 48 dollars for a cabin, not a big savings but still a savings. I asked my TA if she could get the price adjusted and she said the Royal told her it was only on new bookings.

This week I see for both black Friday and Cyber Monday they are offering some OBC for my cruise. Is this only on new bookings or should I be able to get it. I'm not sailing until 2019, but every bit helps.

I sent her a message asking her on Friday but haven't heard anything.

And since I have it booked through a TA I can't call royal myself.

Royal has been more likely to enforce the new bookings restriction lately. You could ask the TA to escalate the request to Resolutions, but I suspect the answer will be the same.

Shouldn't they be able to transfer your deposit? I would think a travel agency could do that. Or hold the room for you.

They may be able to hold the stateroom for a few days, but the money transfer is all up to RC.

I also booked through a TA. My cruise price (April 2018 on Harmony) dropped the middle of last week. I emailed my TA and she was able to get me an adjustment (I had to change a refundable deposit to non-refundable). In the RC Black Friday sale, the price dropped a little bit again and there was a OBC available. I called my TA again and she was able to get the price adjusted again and the OBC added. So it can be done!

I book through a TA, so I know that the line will not talk directly to me about my booked cruise.

My TA tried to tell me I was wrong in a situation similar to yours. I called the line, but did not ask them specifically about my booked cruise. I asked as a 'what if'.

The line agreed with me. I then explained that my TA was not agreeing with me on this about my booked cruise. The person on the other end of the line volunteered to send an email to my agent.

I got what I was entitled to.

I book through a TA, so I know that the line will not talk directly to me about my booked cruise.

My TA tried to tell me I was wrong in a situation similar to yours. I called the line, but did not ask them specifically about my booked cruise. I asked as a 'what if'.

The line agreed with me. I then explained that my TA was not agreeing with me on this about my booked cruise. The person on the other end of the line volunteered to send an email to my agent.

I got what I was entitled to.

Good technique!

Another technique that we have used is to ask the TA for a 3-way conversion with them and RC.

I have a 2019 and a 2020 sailing booked with a TA. He already gave us 200 and 250 obc when we booked with refundable fares. I called him Friday and he was able to rebook us with the refundable fare adding the 200 OBC from RC to each cruise. Our price went up $50-$75, but with the added OBC, it was worth it.

Your TA should be able to do something with sailings before the final payment date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Wrh2016

Whether to book and control your own reservation or turn it over to a TA is a whole debate, that has been covered many times on CC....each has its advantages and disadvantages...you have to do your due diligence before making that decision...

I always book with the same TA. She has managed to get me some very good deals. For example, years ago we had Oasis booked in a JS. 3 weeks before the cruise, the Crown Loft dropped in price for "New Bookings Only." I sent her an email, explaining I knew it was New Bookings, but could she try? She talked with RCI to the point that they let me upgrade. The total cost for a CL vs. JS for two was $300!!! I know I would never have been able to accomplish that.

So, if you use a TA use a GOOD one. A TA who knows what they're doing and will do, or try to do, what you ask.

That is the key....finding a "good" TA.....

Some want to forget all about you, once they made the initial sale, and some resent losing some commission to get you a better fare.....

And some only work "banker's hours", so that if you happen to see a better cabin become available, good luck reaching them in time to grab it...

Other's, carry a lot of weight with a particular cruise line, commensurate with the business they have with them, and can indeed accomplish "mission impossible"....

My online TA has been able to adjust things as prices have gone down...some of the perks are different, but if I can save some money I do it and they help. For example, I once lost $100 OBC but gained paid gratuities for a 10 night cruise.

We don't cruise until April 2019 but booked so far in advance to be able to pay it off bits at a time and set money aside for drink packages and air fare.

I asked my TA about the cyber Monday sales as there is now a 75 obc for my cabin type.

She said it had to be on new booking. Also asked if we could cancel and rebook and move our deposit to that cabin. She said she talked to them and they can't do that. They would take the new deposit and refund the other one. I can't afford to do that.

We are only working on our 2nd cruise, and so far have used TA's both times. The 2 were completely different, which shows that different TA's bring different things.

Our first cruise 02/17, was a family friend that was local, so we figured we would go through her since it was the same price. She was willing to reprice, but the price never went down, since JOTS was always booked for that sailing. We got no extras, and I did most of my own homework, because I somewhat enjoy it. She was only available basically bankers hours (really not even that).

Our Second cruise will be 03/18, and looked around, but ended up going with a big wholesale store that we just happen to visit at least once a week anyways. While they are not open 24/7, they do have pretty respectable hours, and have gone to bat for us on a few price drops (3 in the first couple months after booking, and advised not to change on another that would have ended higher once you removed the obc). They also are giving us $380 gc to use in store after our cruise, 2 free dinners to chops, free massage (my wife is excited by this), and a free "beach package" at labadee (water park, coaster, water slide, floating beach mat, and $25 drink card). With the experience with this one, I will probably look their first (only?) for future bookings.

I have not booked direct, but the extras with very little down side (imo) make me not want to. Had I had the same experience with the warehouse store as I had with our first TA, I would have probably done the next (if there is one) myself.

We don't cruise until April 2019 but booked so far in advance to be able to pay it off bits at a time and set money aside for drink packages and air fare.

I asked my TA about the cyber Monday sales as there is now a 75 obc for my cabin type.

She said it had to be on new booking. Also asked if we could cancel and rebook and move our deposit to that cabin. She said she talked to them and they can't do that. They would take the new deposit and refund the other one. I can't afford to do that.

Speaking as a former travel agent, you need to escalate this up the line. What company does your agent work for? (not expecting you to list it here) If it is one of the big companies call and ask to speak to a manager. If the agent is a independent agent and works from home, they almost all are associated with a travel company. Contact the company directly and voice your concerns. Can you go to the agent's office and sit there with them while they contact Royal? As another person posted you can do a three way call with you, the agent and Royal.

As bad as this may sound we had to dismiss one of our agents because of something almost the same as your issue. She would book the travel but did not want to do any follow up. She did not want the bother of calling and doing re-booking and even worse was she did not want to re-book if the price fell because her commission on the booking would not be as much.

There are amazing travel agents and there are some you should stay away from. How do you find a good agent, usually by word of mouth from others that have booked with the company or the person.

Don't let this go, keep calling......you are the customer

Speaking as a former travel agent, you need to escalate this up the line. What company does your agent work for? (not expecting you to list it here) If it is one of the big companies call and ask to speak to a manager. If the agent is a independent agent and works from home, they almost all are associated with a travel company. Contact the company directly and voice your concerns. Can you go to the agent's office and sit there with them while they contact Royal? As another person posted you can do a three way call with you, the agent and Royal.

As bad as this may sound we had to dismiss one of our agents because of something almost the same as your issue. She would book the travel but did not want to do any follow up. She did not want the bother of calling and doing re-booking and even worse was she did not want to re-book if the price fell because her commission on the booking would not be as much.

There are amazing travel agents and there are some you should stay away from. How do you find a good agent, usually by word of mouth from others that have booked with the company or the person.

Don't let this go, keep calling......you are the customer

She is the branch manager actually, which is very disappointing. We have booked an all inclusive with this company for this April and haven't had any problems until now