Celebrity Gift Guide

Lisah101

I received the enter to win email today so I said why not? Well I started to register and they wanted my social security number, birth date and no pobox addresses. Why do they need your SSN to register?

I don't trust what they're going to do with the info and closed the browser before submitting. I didn't see the benefit outweighed the fishing info for only 25 gifts that many require additional purchase like the 3 day Amsterdam stay before your cruise, but the cruise isn't included. What are the chances someone who wins that already has the Amsterdam embarkation booked?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I received the enter to win email today so I said why not? Well I started to register and they wanted my social security number, birth date and no pobox addresses. Why do they need your SSN to register?

I don't trust what they're going to do with the info and closed the browser before submitting. I didn't see the benefit outweighed the fishing info for only 25 gifts that many require additional purchase like the 3 day Amsterdam stay before your cruise, but the cruise isn't included. What are the chances someone who wins that already has the Amsterdam embarkation booked?

What the ..??? I did not have to enter any Social Security number. Just the typical address phone number stuff.

What the ..??? I did not have to enter any Social Security number. Just the typical address phone number stuff.

After your post, I went back to the link and the form was different than the one I saw earlier. This one doesn't require SSN. Also now the BOD is a drop down menu but required manual input on the page I was directed to previously. I wonder what the IT dept is up to?

After your post, I went back to the link and the form was different than the one I saw earlier. This one doesn't require SSN. Also now the BOD is a drop down menu but required manual input on the page I was directed to previously. I wonder what the IT dept is up to?

It's like the website is being tested and updated real time instead of prior to making it live today. Awesome. I imagine support sitting there .. oops gotta fix that .. oops need to change that ... oh that could be better ... too funny.

Serious question, does anybody know why a Canadian winner is required to take a timed mathematical test to claim their prize?

"If a potential winner is a Canadian resident, before being declared a winner, he/she will be required to correctly answer a timed mathematical skill testing questions without assistance, which will be provided with the e-mail notification or the prize will be forfeited."

Serious question, does anybody know why a Canadian winner is required to take a timed mathematical test to claim their prize?

"If a potential winner is a Canadian resident, before being declared a winner, he/she will be required to correctly answer a timed mathematical skill testing questions without assistance, which will be provided with the e-mail notification or the prize will be forfeited."

It’s our silly lottery rules here. Must be a skill testing question.

I suspect that may have something to do with being the difference between a lottery and a skill test. A lottery may be illegal if it's a chance to win something of value. Check your Canadian lottery laws and see if that applies.

I didn't read this entire article however this may help. http://www.lawnow.org/canadian-regulation-contests-prizes-games/

I must not have had enough coffee yet this afternoon.

Is there really a Celebrity Gift Guide that I can peruse and order from?

Why have a promotion and sweepstakes, but not make the promoted product available?

Please take pity on this dunce and let me know what I missed.

TIA.

Today the "gift guide" is set up. If you scroll down, it has all the prizes listed with pictures and descriptions and there is a link underneath each that says "or book a suite now" under the Luminae for one cruise and Michael's for one cruise prizes, "or book a cruise now" under the cruise prizes, "or learn how to become a member" under the Elite for a year prize, "or book dinner in Qsine now" for the Qsine prize, etc.

https://celebritycruisesgiftguide.com/

Because we're all so smart!:D:D It gives them an out,you see, because if you get the test wrong then you don't get the prize! (I have no idea whether this is true or not because I've never won anything!)

It's like the website is being tested and updated real time instead of prior to making it live today. Awesome. I imagine support sitting there .. oops gotta fix that .. oops need to change that ... oh that could be better ... too funny.

Thanks poffles for getting them to fix it for us Canadians. Some of the prizes are not worth entering but I sure would like to win the cruise!

I met one of the head IT guys for Celebrity on my last cruise and he sure was tooting his own horn. He even went so far as to criticize Princess's IT endevours. I didn't say anything ... but if he only knew how we all talked about the ever horrible Celebrity website.... well, well!! :eek:

Sounds like a great opportunity to discuss the 'issues' you have with the website was missed.

bon voyage

That is a Canadian Law.... as best I can understand the situation...

bon voyage

Thanks poffles for getting them to fix it for us Canadians. Some of the prizes are not worth entering but I sure would like to win the cruise!

Not sure I can take credit, I suspect they figured it out themselves :'):'):'):')

I entered this contest on 12/1 and today got an e-mail saying that I had won the first prize, the 12/23 cruise on Summit. It asked me to fill out and notarize an eligibility form which asked for information including social security numbers, etc. I was hesitant to do that and called Celebrity to make sure that it was valid. They said it is not for real and is a scam. Beware!

I entered this contest on 12/1 and today got an e-mail saying that I had won the first prize, the 12/23 cruise on Summit. It asked me to fill out and notarize an eligibility form which asked for information including social security numbers, etc. I was hesitant to do that and called Celebrity to make sure that it was valid. They said it is not for real and is a scam. Beware!

Actually seems like you might have really won. I'd call back and ask another rep just to be sure. These kinds of prizes come with taxes due, meaning they'd need to know SSN and other pertinent information to send you the tax form and notify the IRS.

You may well have won. From their rules you will need to provide a SSN for claiming the prize. I'd call back and ask to speak with someone else. Or contact them via social - I'd like to think/hope that someone working on their social media sites would know who the Marketing contact is for the promotion and could get you an answer.

I posted the rule on claiming a prize which basically state that you will need to provide the information. Sounds legit to me.

HOW TO CLAIM A PRIZE: Each potential winner will be notified via e-mail by Sponsor or its authorized designee at the e-mail address provided at the time of entry. Before being declared a winner, potential winners whose prize is valued at $600 or more will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability & Publicity Release and tax acknowledgment (“Affidavit”), if a US resident, or a Declaration of Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release, if a Canadian resident (“Declaration”), sent with the e-mail notification. If a potential winner is a Canadian resident, before being declared a winner, he/she will be required to correctly answer a timed mathematical skilltesting questions without assistance, which will be provided with the e-mail notification or the prize will be forfeited. The potential winners must return a fully executed and notarized Affidavit/Declaration to the Sponsor or its authorized designee within five (5) calendar days from the date it is postmarked as being sent to the potential winner or the prize may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be forfeited. If a potential winner is disqualified, found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, declines to accept the prize, or in the event that a potential winner fails to return an executed and notarized Affidavit/Declaration, or fails to correctly complete the skill-testing question, within the five (5) calendar day deadline, the prize may be forfeited, and in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, the forfeited prize may be awarded to an alternate winner, selected in a random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If, after a good-faith attempt, Sponsor is unable to award or deliver a prize, the prize may not be re-awarded.

WINNERS WILL BE ISSUED A FORM 1099 OR T4A FOR PRIZES VALUED AT $600 OR MORE, AS APPROPRIATE, FOR TAX PURPOSES IN THE AMOUNT OF THE ACTUAL RETAIL VALUE OF THE PRIZE AND MUST SUBMIT HIS OR HER SOCIAL SECURITY OR SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER, AS APPROPRIATE, AS REQUIRED BY LAW. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, PROVINCIAL, TERRITORIAL, AND LOCAL TAXES IMPOSED ON THE ACCEPTANCE OF THE PRIZE ARE SOLELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS.

It actually sounds real. Phishing scam emails wouldn't ask you to get something notarized. It would ask you to go to a website and enter your personal information. If you just call the regular Celebrity number, they probably don't even know the contest exists.

Congrats on the win. Hopefully you can actually take it without it costing you a fortune to get there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app