Haven't Sailed With Princess in Several Years...MDR Question

JJJCRUISERS

We haven't sailed with Princess in several years. We have sailed with several other lines, all of which now allow dress shorts in the main dining room (except formal nights). I read that princess may not allow this. Any thoughts?[/quote

Just curious, are you male or female?

I don’t think shorts of any kind are permitted at dinner in the MDR. I may be wrong, because I’ve seen many PAX’s who do not observe the stated Dress Code. YMMV depending on the Maitre D’.

You can take a chance and wear your dress shorts, and if the Maitre D’ tells you your manner of dress is not permitted, then go back to your stateroom to change into something acceptable.

Good luck whatever you decide. And enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Sorry about the delay...I was asking from a male prospective. NCL, Carnival, and Costa Cruise Lines all are allowing neat, "dress" type shorts in the dining room. I'm talking about knee length, belted, J crew type shorts with a collared polo or caribbean button down shirt. And our next cruise will be a short 5 nighter on the Crown.

Thank you all for your input, it helps a lot.

On the Island Princess in Sept while cruising Alaska, our son (37) was wearing knee dress shorts with knee high socks. IMO, I thought he looked very nice. He was immediately turned away from the MDR, plus the remark was made in a bragging manner that this was the 5th gentleman they rejected that night! He was not aware that this would be unacceptable as his legs were covered,��We were mortified by this tone of arrogance. Our wonderful family vacation had a dent in it because the staff was making a production of embarrassing people.We just came to eat supper as a family on vacation,not be humiliated. So, better dress right! Remember, it’s not what you know that is important, but rather how you Dress!

So, your 37yesr old son dressed like this for dinner at the MDR , and was turned away? :eek: Sorry to hear.

I saw a few PAX’s on my last cruise who were dressed for dinner in the MDR like your adult son. They were allowed in to dine in the MDR. :) For DW and I, what PAX’s choose to wear for dinner in the MDR, does not distract from our enjoyment of dinner. But it seems to bother those kind of PAX’s who follow the Dress Code.

E769C1BE-5395-4536-A07B-8E4D81E9B5CB_zpslnjy8uf8.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Sorry about the delay...I was asking from a male prospective. NCL, Carnival, and Costa Cruise Lines all are allowing neat, "dress" type shorts in the dining room. I'm talking about knee length, belted, J crew type shorts with a collared polo or caribbean button down shirt. And our next cruise will be a short 5 nighter on the Crown.

Thank you all for your input, it helps a lot.

Okay for breakfast or lunch; haven't noticed any gentlemen or ladies wearing shorts in the dining room in evening.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Forums mobile app

Not so fast there fellow cruisers. We were on the Ruby last month and I was doing my usual of checking out the MDR (early TD) and my fellow pax. I saw at the next table no less two men wear jean shorts to dinner several nights without any problem. I also saw men wearing hats in the MDR and tshirts. For formal night I saw only one male walk in in tux, there may have been more but not in my immediate area and we were seated towards the middle of the room. On formal night I saw several males wearing a polo style shirt and pants or a short sleeved shirt with collar and yes the 2 top next to our table the male wore a hat every night. Personally it did not bother me and my food was as good as ever with excellent service. I do like to people watch.

Emerald Princess - California coastal cruise, November 2017: I saw exactly the same thing in the MDR most nights. On the cruise's single formal night I saw not a single tux, most men in jackets with open collars, and some in polo shirts or silk island shirts and shorts (with sandals). One couple arrived in jeans, golf shirts and hat. The hostess (for lack of the correct title) referred them to the dining room manager who waved them in. He wasn't smiling, but still invited them in - on a formal night.

That is when I learned dress codes on Princess is optional, and anything seems to go. Not that it bothers me much, so long as dress isn't offensive (what ever that is). It is actually kind of liberating: I no longer have to lug my tux across the country. Country club casual seems to work fine.

Emerald Princess - California coastal cruise, November 2017: I saw exactly the same thing in the MDR most nights. On the cruise's single formal night I saw not a single tux, most men in jackets with open collars, and some in polo shirts or silk island shirts and shorts (with sandals). One couple arrived in jeans, golf shirts and hat. The hostess (for lack of the correct title) referred them to the dining room manager who waved them in. He wasn't smiling, but still invited them in - on a formal night.

That is when I learned dress codes on Princess is optional, and anything seems to go. Not that it bothers me much, so long as dress isn't offensive (what ever that is). It is actually kind of liberating: I no longer have to lug my tux across the country. Country club casual seems to work fine.

As you say, Princess doesn't wish to offen anyone by denying them entrance to the DR for lack of formal attire. They do have their lower limits but I have yet to actually experience them.

And as the old saying goes, "If there's a roof over your head, take off your hat!".

Bummer. I think men wearing hats at dinner are rude and have no manners.

Totally agree - much worse than short pants, IMHO. If a young man comes to the dinner (or breakfast or lunch) table in my home with a cap or hat on, he will not eat with us. Period. I have already been branded as "old school" and "not savvy" on these boards, so go ahead!

We haven't sailed with Princess in several years. We have sailed with several other lines, all of which now allow dress shorts in the main dining room (except formal nights). I read that princess may not allow this. Any thoughts?

Not on princess... go to the buffet or the outdoor bbq if you want to wear shorts.

Never seen anyone wearing shorts to dinner in a Princess MDR.

What are "dress shorts" as opposed to regular shorts?

Never seen anyone wearing Bermuda shorts with knee socks unless it was schoolchildren dressed in school uniforms in British Commonwealth countries.

There's a whole range of options for dinner for passengers who don't want to change out of shorts, i.e, call Room Service, visit the buffet, visit Trident Grill, etc. etc. etc.

Book yourself on Carnival, the "anything goes" cruise line, and you can wear the white bathrobe provided by the room steward to the MDR for dinner.

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

I know right! Why would I care what someone else is wearing? My dining experience has never been affected by the way my fellow dinners dressed. Rude behavior on the other hand such as judging people by their clothes, well that may affect my appetite.

Edited by Reader0108598