Explaining Service Charge to non-cruisers

amallison

It’s not a matter of being cheap or not, it’s a matter of principle. I am a customer and it’s not my role to pay employee salaries. NCL should just raise the overall price of base fares for everyone and manage their payroll issues themselves, I don’t need to know “what per cent” of my fare is going to salaries.

It’s just another way of passing the buck to the consumer, while trying to be “transparent” about it.

I agree with your premise, really I do, and I also believe it is up to each person to do what they feel is best, but I do reward those that provide great service, I just choose to do it in cash and to those I interact with. Since management tells me those people keep my cash, I have no qualms.

NCL should just raise the overall price of base fares for everyone and manage their payroll issues themselves, I don’t need to know “what per cent” of my fare is going to salaries.

If NCL completely eliminated the DSC but raised cruise fares by $100 for non-suites and $120 for suites (current DSC is $97.93 and $118.93 respectively for 7 days), would that be better?

There would be no DSC (and no DSC threads) but people would be paying more.

If the people who remove the DSC hand out more cash than the current DSC, what will those people do if the DSC is eliminated and fares go up? Will they still cash tip the same amount as before? :confused:

Just tell them the truth. Explain that the cruise lines require most of its staff to work extremely hard and pay them very little money, and that the daily service charge represents most of the crew's income. Tell them they have the choice to remove it if they choose.

I didn't understand the crew pay structure on my first cruise. We left the auto tips on, but didn't tip extra since I thought our steward was also getting a decent salary. The first steward I had on my first cruise was excellent, and I feel badly about not giving him a tip on top of the auto tip (which is totally not required, but we like to do that for people who give excellent service). I'd have given him the extra tip if I'd known about the working conditions and salary. I'm guessing this isn't going to be the case for your guests, but tell them the truth and let them decide to do whatever they want to do (or pay the tips yourself if you can and feel strongly about it).

If NCL completely eliminated the DSC but raised cruise fares by $100 for non-suites and $120 for suites (current DSC is $97.93 and $118.93 respectively for 7 days), would that be better?

There would be no DSC (and no DSC threads) but people would be paying more.

If the people who remove the DSC hand out more cash than the current DSC, what will those people do if the DSC is eliminated and fares go up? Will they still cash tip the same amount as before? :confused:

I live in a country that doesn't do tips. People are paid at least the equivalent of $15-20 per hour. When we book cruises the gratuity is often added to the price.

At least this is the case for Royal Caribbean - perhaps also for other lines.

As I'm not used to tipping I felt lost when I travelled to the US. I had to ask people: "What am I supposed to give you?". I probably forgot to tip a lot of services.

We’re going on a trip later this month with a large group. People are complaining about the daily service charge and gratuities. They haven’t cruised before and I’ve done my best to explain what these are but they don’t understand why they’re paying this much in “tips” (their wording not mine).

How do I accurately explain to them why we’re paying these and what they’re for!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually why even get involved? Guide them to the ncl link on this and then wash your hands to it

From everything I read or hear these days everyone should be free to do whatever they want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't understand the crew pay structure on my first cruise. We left the auto tips on, but didn't tip extra since I thought our steward was also getting a decent salary. The first steward I had on my first cruise was excellent, and I feel badly about not giving him a tip on top of the auto tip (which is totally not required, but we like to do that for people who give excellent service). I'd have given him the extra tip if I'd known about the working conditions and salary. I'm guessing this isn't going to be the case for your guests, but tell them the truth and let them decide to do whatever they want to do (or pay the tips yourself if you can and feel strongly about it).

There's a myth that crew members earn $50 a month and rely on tips. Cabin stewards on NCL earn about $1,000 a month, and get that contracted amount for their entire contract period, even if the ship sails empty. Because of the cost of living, that $1,000 a month is probably four times that amount in the Philippines, and about four times what a hotel housekeeper would earn at home. I don't know how NCL breaks it down on their paychecks, but they must get the contracted amount. If NCL puts $50 as wages and $950 as tips the Filipino pays taxes only on the $50 ... and isn't in a high tax bracket. Maybe they do that. But they do get paid a fair wage for the work done, and all of them voluntarily became employees, and many of them return year after year. Most of them like their jobs.

But man, do they work hard! Long hours and every day of the week, without very many (or any) days off in a 6 to 9 month tour. And on NCL, they really seem to have a good attitude despite the long hours. You just have to respect them for that. We never remove the daily service charge because for us, it would be immoral. We usually give additional cash to our cabin steward because they work so hard. We have never had a bad one. For us, the extra tip is a sign of respect.

There's a myth that crew members earn $50 a month and rely on tips. Cabin stewards on NCL earn about $1,000 a month, and get that contracted amount for their entire contract period, even if the ship sails empty. Because of the cost of living, that $1,000 a month is probably four times that amount in the Philippines, and about four times what a hotel housekeeper would earn at home. I don't know how NCL breaks it down on their paychecks, but they must get the contracted amount. If NCL puts $50 as wages and $950 as tips the Filipino pays taxes only on the $50 ... and isn't in a high tax bracket. Maybe they do that. But they do get paid a fair wage for the work done, and all of them voluntarily became employees, and many of them return year after year. Most of them like their jobs.

But man, do they work hard! Long hours and every day of the week, without very many (or any) days off in a 6 to 9 month tour. And on NCL, they really seem to have a good attitude despite the long hours. You just have to respect them for that. We never remove the daily service charge because for us, it would be immoral. We usually give additional cash to our cabin steward because they work so hard. We have never had a bad one. For us, the extra tip is a sign of respect.

That's correct, most cruise line's Seafarers-Agreement with their employees often stipulate a monthly wage of around $50. The majority of their salary trickles down from the DSC. Years ago the DSC was divided amongst "X" number of employees and was easy for the crew to know where the bucks went. Now the cruise lines have implemented a complex tiered incentive system where it's virtually impossible for the crew to figure out where all the DSC and mandatory gratuities go.

Here's a link to a copy of a Seafarers Agreement for Carnival.

https://www.lipcon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Seafarers-Agreement-Carnival-Cruise-Lines.pdf

"It's the tips. Too many people were stiffing the crew, so they made it automatic."

That's all you need to say.

And for anyone giving a cruise as a gift, PAY THE GRATUITIES. A gift where the recipient has to pay money isn't a good gift.

This sums things up well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Any Cash in Hand to any staff member they keep 100%, they do not turn it in, according to GS Director on the Sky this week.

You can modify DSC any amount you wish to, up, down, etc.

You fill out a form onboard and it is posted to your account same day.

I chose to pay cash along the way to those providing me service, I was told I could not use the modification form until the last full day of the cruise and did so. Took all of 20 seconds and posted to my onboard account that evening. No guilt, no hassle, no problem, everyone that provided us service was well compensated with cash along the way with an additional amount on top provided to our room attendant. There was a section on the form to ask if we had any deficiency in service and I wrote in honestly that service was fine, I preferred to pay cash directly. Guest Services Director confirmed that many choose to do the same. Guest services provided us envelopes and additional Vacation Hero cards at our request.

However your party decides they would like to handle their personal finance is 100% fine, one way is not more right or wrong than another. It is just whatever your preference is.

This redistributes tips just to those you met face-to-face. Doesn't seem as fair to me.

The UK fare structure is now all-inclusive to include the DSC. Much fairer to present the full cost up front rather than giving the impression it's a cheaper option than it actually is.

Although the prices did go up by more than the amount of the added extras (as was almost certain to happen), along with some other small issues.

It is now impossible to get the charge removed, as it is rolled up in the fare. I’ll leave it to individuals to decide whether that is a good or bad thing.

It is certainly more transparent, and arguably fairer especially for new customers who may not know about the service charge when they start looking at prices, but for those of us who used to take it into account, all inclusive just means a price increase, and paying for some things we may not want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If DSC is an essential part of the pricing structure those removing it are forcing up the base price anyway. Our poor exchange rate against the dollar may also be responsible for the price rise.

The price rises I am referring to are those that happened immediately on all inclusive being introduced. The prices were altered on the day that the change was made. Exchange rates are clearly putting upward pressure on prices, but it’s a rare company which wouldn’t take the opportunity to increase prices in a situation like this. As I’ve always said, never encourage someone to change the structure of how they charge you as they will always put up prices when doing it.

For the record I am not arguing one way or the other as to whether it is a good or bad thing. It is certainly bad for me, but not by too much. My point is that there is no solution which works for everyone. That is why these endless discussions are so pointless. Just look at the prices and decide whether they are good for you. How it is made up is irrelevant really.

One thing which always makes me smile though is that the people who are undoubtedly worse off are those who used to remove the DSC, and have long been arguing for a change like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This redistributes tips just to those you met face-to-face. Doesn't seem as fair to me.

Fair or not ncl allows it and that's all that matters

And as I posted previously, a pax should be able to do what they want regarding dsc without fear of criticism or opinions from others

Fair or not ncl allows it and that's all that matters

And as I posted previously, a pax should be able to do what they want regarding dsc without fear of criticism or opinions from others

Without opinions this site wouldn't exist!

How many of you have seen the long lines of pax at Guest Services on any cruise line immediately after embarkation? Those are the people who have found (or invented) an unacceptable problem which entitles them (because really, it’s all about them) to steal from the very people who make cruising so special - and those people’s children and elderly loved ones.

This attitude has been encouraged by the notion that «*the customer is always right*». Sometimes, the customer is a sanctimonious jerk who should stay home and inflict his or her misery on someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many of you have seen the long lines of pax at Guest Services on any cruise line immediately after embarkation? Those are the people who have found (or invented) an unacceptable problem which entitles them (because really, it’s all about them) to steal from the very people who make cruising so special - and those people’s children and elderly loved ones.

If it is embarkation day that is an impossible scenario since you are not allowed to modify until the last full day of the cruise. You are in fact inventing a broad based generalization that is not fact based in any way.

Nobody is stealing anything from anyone. You just prefer to exercise one option that NCL allows, other people choose different options.

How were behind the scenes workers paid in the days where cash tips to face to face service staff were the norm? Does not seem fair that a behind the scenes worker that will never see a guest is dependent on a discretionary charge for their salary.

If NCL wanted to remove the option of allowing me to opt out of the automatic charge and distribute cash as I feel warranted, they could do so. I abide by NCL's rules and exercise an option given to me.

Although the prices did go up by more than the amount of the added extras (as was almost certain to happen), along with some other small issues.

It is now impossible to get the charge removed, as it is rolled up in the fare. I’ll leave it to individuals to decide whether that is a good or bad thing.

It is certainly more transparent, and arguably fairer especially for new customers who may not know about the service charge when they start looking at prices, but for those of us who used to take it into account, all inclusive just means a price increase, and paying for some things we may not want.

The price rises I am referring to are those that happened immediately on all inclusive being introduced. The prices were altered on the day that the change was made. Exchange rates are clearly putting upward pressure on prices, but it’s a rare company which wouldn’t take the opportunity to increase prices in a situation like this. As I’ve always said, never encourage someone to change the structure of how they charge you as they will always put up prices when doing it.

For the record I am not arguing one way or the other as to whether it is a good or bad thing. It is certainly bad for me, but not by too much. My point is that there is no solution which works for everyone. That is why these endless discussions are so pointless. Just look at the prices and decide whether they are good for you. How it is made up is irrelevant really.

One thing which always makes me smile though is that the people who are undoubtedly worse off are those who used to remove the DSC, and have long been arguing for a change like this.

..all of which is why I asked the questions that I did in post #27.

If a cruise is currently $500 plus $100 in DSC, the DSC removers will remove the $100 DSC and (supposedly) give $100 in cash tips to the crew.

If/when NCL makes everything all-inclusive and the cruise fare is $600 (or more and no DSC), will the former DSC removers still give $100 in cash tips to the crew?

..all of which is why I asked the questions that I did in post #27.

If a cruise is currently $500 plus $100 in DSC, the DSC removers will remove the $100 DSC and (supposedly) give $100 in cash tips to the crew.

If/when NCL makes everything all-inclusive and the cruise fare is $600 (or more and no DSC), will the former DSC removers still give $100 in cash tips to the crew?

There shouldn't be a need to as that's already incorporated into your fare.

OP...this is pretty simple. The gift is nice. It’s generous.

If the gifted don’t want it because of the associated fees/tips, etc, they probably shouldn’t accept the gift rather than to question it. Questioning the gift is in really bad taste.

Normally I would agree but to be honest, this trip was a gift to them. So if you want to compare it to what THEY paid for the trip then the DSC and gratuities are a lot more than what THEY paid.

When I buy a cruise for a family member I also pay the gratuity for them. But in all reasonableness if I receive a gift certificate for the price of a dinner at red lobster I still pay a gratuity to the waiter out of my own pocket and I make sure that I pay 20% of what the price of the dinner would have been had I been required to pay for it myself.