Thinking of a celebrity cruise, few questions

phil2

Me and my partner our mid 20s and have cruised RCI and iv done a p &o cruise years ago. We Love royal caribbean but we just want some different itineraries, i want to do Barbados, antigua , st lucia etc were not many royal ships gop and if they do its on the smaller ships. Celebrity silhouette,reflection and equinox are doing great itineraries ( not too keen on equinox ) so more likely the others, especially silhouette, but i have some questions first. were worried it will be too quiet and we dont do the rock climbing wall or flow rider on royal but do like to watch and like the fact there is always something to do.

1.is it a much older crowd, we dont mind who the other guests are and ages but it would be nice to have a mix as long as its not snobby! lol.

2. What are the shows like, again are they aimed more older crowd or is it a mix? iv seen a review of a recent cruise and it looked quite similar to royal , illusionists etc which looked good!.

3. I hear a lot of people say the food on celebrity is a step up for sure. im a fussy eater so is there good choice of chicken, chips, burgers, and meats basically?

4. what is the formal nights attire? i believe its a bit more formal than royal, like a tuxedo, is a shirt and pants not accepted?

5. how much is the alcove to hire for the day as they look fab! some prices do seem quite expensive for drinks and internet so would more likely get a drinks package.

any help and info would be appreciated, i love the modern look of celebrity and would love to do it.

Thanks

Celebrity is quieter than RCI.. you find people of all ages. If you go on a cruise longer than 7 days, off season, people will be older. Not many children.

Some shows are good, others not so, food is very good but I book Aqua or Sky Suite so I don’t eat in the main DR. Yes you can find hamburgers and chips. There are no formal nights, they are called chic casual, so you can dress up or down.

I have never booked an alcove so I,can’t give u that info.. good luck.

Me and my partner our mid 20s and have cruised RCI and iv done a p &o cruise years ago. We Love royal caribbean but we just want some different itineraries, i want to do Barbados, antigua , st lucia etc were not many royal ships gop and if they do its on the smaller ships. Celebrity silhouette,reflection and equinox are doing great itineraries ( not too keen on equinox ) so more likely the others, especially silhouette, but i have some questions first. were worried it will be too quiet and we dont do the rock climbing wall or flow rider on royal but do like to watch and like the fact there is always something to do.

1.is it a much older crowd, we dont mind who the other guests are and ages but it would be nice to have a mix as long as its not snobby! lol.

2. What are the shows like, again are they aimed more older crowd or is it a mix? iv seen a review of a recent cruise and it looked quite similar to royal , illusionists etc which looked good!.

3. I hear a lot of people say the food on celebrity is a step up for sure. im a fussy eater so is there good choice of chicken, chips, burgers, and meats basically?

4. what is the formal nights attire? i believe its a bit more formal than royal, like a tuxedo, is a shirt and pants not accepted?

5. how much is the alcove to hire for the day as they look fab! some prices do seem quite expensive for drinks and internet so would more likely get a drinks package.

any help and info would be appreciated, i love the modern look of celebrity and would love to do it.

Thanks

My partner and I started cruising Celebrity 7 years ago. We're not 30 and 35 respectively, so I can speak from experience with regard to your situation. Here are my thoughts / responses to your questions:

It is an older crowd in general. However, a lot can vary depending on the itinerary and time of year. If you're going over the holidays and spring break you'll notice younger people on board and more kids. If you book a 7 night cruise you'll notice a younger group of passengers versus the 14nights. We've never found guests on Celebrity to be snobby. Regardless of age, we've found everyone very personable and very talkative.

The entertainment is not fantastic, not really what Celebrity is known for. I've been on cruises with amazing guest entertainers and some which have only been so so. I'd say in the past couple of years though I believe the entertainment has gotten better. You'll typically have 3 "production / off broadway" style shows and then a handful of guest entertainers. Usually a comedian, perhaps a magician / illusionist, and then some sort of guest entertainer that is either a band, a vocalist, etc.

We've always been happy with the food on Celebrity. Personally we prefer Blu (the aqua class restaurant), Luminae (the suites restaurant), or the specialty restaurants over the main dining room. We enjoy the more intimate atmosphere of those restaurants. In the main dining room and even in the buffet you'll always find some basic staples. On the main menu in the dining room you'll always have a basic chicken, salmon, and steak on the menu that is part of their "fixed" menu along with some standard appetizers. Then they also have their daily menu which changes daily.

Celebrity has switched to "evening chic" so there are less tuxedos than before. Some guests still wear tuxes and gowns and some like myself will typically wear a nice sports coat, with a tie, french cuffs, etc. Others will just be in dress pants and a button down shirt.

These are cheaper on port days. I believe the last pricing was up to $200 per day, but I've seen them advertised for use on port days as low at $99/day.

We've sailed on all the ships you're looking at. Our favorite is the Reflection. We prefer the Sunset Bar on the reflection (they all have them but the sunset bar on the Reflection is set up differently). Both Silhouette and Reflection have the "Lawn Club Grill" which is a specialty restaurant (for a fee) that is outside. It's one of our favorites and it is great to eat a nice dinner outside while you're sailing!

Hope this helps!

I would like that eating outside and a grill sounds lovely, i dont feel this is getting sold to me though haha, one minute i think we should do it the next im very unsure! we shall see. we would be doing more likely a 10/11 or 12 nights caribbean cruise. im guessing theres a few places in the evening to go to have a drink , see the show or just sit somewhere else, go around the shops etc.

We're 42. We always feel young. Those in their twenties will feel very young, but this does not mean you will not enjoy your cruise.

No one books Celebrity for the entertainment do they? :) The shows I've seen previously were quite amateurish IMHO as a result I've not bothered to view any on our last three cruises. Perhaps search through historical threads on here to get a more rounded opinion.

You'll have plenty of choices. Do you know what type of room you'll be booking? I ask because depending on your choice of cabin you will be assigned one of three separate dining rooms, the MDR, Blu and Luminae. You will however have additional specialty dining, room service and the buffet to add to the variety. You will have a good choice of the foods you mention.

There is no longer any formal night. If you read the thread linked to above you'll have a good idea of what chic night entails. You will see very few tuxes!

Answered above.

Thanks

I'd suggest you have a look on Youtube and take a look at some of the lengthier videos from people blogging about their celebrity cruises. You'll get a better idea on passenger demographics from watching some of those. Whilst the ratio of younger guests will change depending on time of year and itinerary, you may still be surprised at how old the average passnger is as younger people tend to frequesnt Carnival and Royal so the videos may help with you gettingan accurate reflection.

Hope that helps.

We are RCI cruisers who were on our 1st Celebrity Cruise 11-27 11 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise on the Reflection. . It did seem like an older crowd as schools were back in session. The children we did see were very young, toddlers and younger. We found passengers to be very friendly not snobbish at all. We were pleasantly surprised by the entertainment. We went to every show and the only one we could have skipped was called Maxx. There were 2 Evening Chics and though we only saw 1 tux almost everyone was dressed up. Our disappointment was in the food. Guess we had heard too much about how it was a step up from RCI. We thought on this cruise it was a step down from RCI both in quality and food choices. We also like the Royal Promenades on the RCI ships - seems to be much more going on into the later hours with the Latin Bar, Schooner Bar, Pub, etc. We enjoyed the cruise just did not meet all our expectations.

Edited by vettegal99

I have watched a few videos but yeah it just seemed very quiet, loved the ships though and it really is about the itineries more now. but its tough as not many are doing a good one like the celebrity, its really only p&o britannia but im not keen on the whole british side of it haha. I like to feel im abroad not still all british things. it would depend on price but either an inside , outside or balcony.

vettegal99 i know what you mean i love the royal promenade, thats what im most worried about not having on this ship too!

I have watched a few videos but yeah it just seemed very quiet, loved the ships though and it really is about the itineries more now. but its tough as not many are doing a good one like the celebrity, its really only p&o britannia but im not keen on the whole british side of it haha. I like to feel im abroad not still all british things. it would depend on price but either an inside , outside or balcony.

vettegal99 i know what you mean i love the royal promenade, thats what im most worried about not having on this ship too!

I'd avoid a British cruise ship like the plague too! :D

If the itinerary is what you want though it could work for you. Remember all vacations are what YOU make of them and who you travel with. :)

You don't book a hotel based on the ages of the other guests...and a ship is no different! There is always a wide range of ages! But, Celebrity doesn't have the "bells and whistles" that the bigger RCI, Carnival or NCL ships do. And, on ANY line, the longer the cruise, the older the clientele...as most will be retired!

Thanks

Also Celebrity has outside grills (Mast Grill) for burgers, dogs and fries with all the good stuff to add to them. Beats RCs WJ burgers. Great for sea days and a quick bite. Beats getting dressed to go into the OVC or MDR.

Yes a ship is different than staying in a hotel. We were on the Eclipse on a short 5 nighter to celebrate my 60th two years ago. We were ancient in comparison to all the young crowd. This past week we were on the Silhouette for a 9 nighter and we were part of the younger crowd. No offense to anyone else on board but the demographics had many that were at least 10 - 20 years older than us. If this doesn't matter to you then fine, but if you are looking for other young people to chat with, join for lunch, and a drink with, then I suspect you will not be seeking out people your parents and grandparents ages. I, for one am not offended by that and would not expect young adults my own children's ages to hang out with me.

We were on the Allure of the Seas a few years back and thought it was probably the most fun we ever had on a ship. Tons to do all the time. While I loved the Silhouette and usually go on Celebrity, those huge RCI ships are never boring, that's for sure.

That sounds good the mast grill lol

Another thing is if you decide to do a Celebrity cruise make sure to notify the Captains Club desk and give them your Crown and Anchor number. The tier levels between Celebrity and RC are recipicol.

Edited by davekathy

I agree we did oasis it was amazing too plenty to do.

So if were crown and anchor members which we are , does that mean were automatically elite? Weve done 3 rci cruises. What does elite get you?

I'm going to take a WAG and say you are probably Platinum on RC? If that's the case you will be Classic on Celebrity. Like RC, Celebrity's website will give you perks associated with each Captain Clubs tier level.

Edited by davekathy

It says

• One category stateroom upgrade applicable up to AquaClass* does that mean if we book a inside we can go up to outside etc

No! You have to stay within the same classification.

Example: You could book an inside stateroom category 9, and pay for a category 10. But, could not book an oceanview 8 and pay for an inside 9.