Gratuities increasing from Jan 2nd.

lovescarborough

For my Celebrity Eclipse with prepaid tips and the final payment made. If they ask if I accept this increase, I will say yes. This increase of $ 1 PPPD would represent 0.79% of the total paid. They earn their work and as I understand they have no salary, it is their only income tips.

It's ridiculous to spend between $ 4,000 and $ 5,000 or more on a cruise and do not want to accept a $ 28 increase for a 14-night cruise.

Merry Christmas

Having copied the President of my TA (one of the largest), He agreed with thoughts and contacted Celebrity and got the following answer. You can on board, request the gratuity rate be honored at the original price and it will be changed.

Once a while Don Quixote Wins one !

Wow, no one appreciates your efforts. They are all clinging to the idea that you are stiffing someone. No one here, so far, sees that it is about making sure that Celebrity follows some kind of protocol instead of it being the wild west with increases of all kinds, not just gratuities.

There is a matter of principal here; had Celebrity randomly said that all cruise fairs already booked would increase by $15, then we'd all say that they can't do that. In practice, the same is happening here. I have no doubt that the crew deserve the gratuities, but Celebrity are seeking to exploit our sympathy for them by this example of bad management. They need to fix gratuity levels for cruises before those cruises go on sale. It's not rocket science.

FWIW, in the EU, which currently includes the UK, this increase would be illegal and unenforceable, as a breach of the sales contract - and any small print to permit it would probably be ruled to be an unfair contract clause.

Stuart

It’s lawful in the US. Not sure about Germany. But their ‘get out of jail free card’ is the fact that the gratuities are not mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same in Germany. Mandatory gratuties are not permitted and (other than in the US) would have to be included in the price of the cruise. However, since the gratuities and the amount is just a „recommendation“ which can be canceled, it is legal.

Thank goodness X did right by you, as you rallied for!

Now, do you still think it was all 'unethical'?

Never mind, I know exactly what the response needs to be, rather you agree with it or not.

bon voyage

Principle.

Fares.

No, it’s definitely not rocket science. It’s just doing the right thing, which seems to have gone out of style, along with spelling and grammar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, c - I feel you on this one.

I do not understand the reason that current EU'ers and soon to be ex-EU'ers believe that X would do something which would be in violation or contravention of their law(s)? Maybe their natural law yet not business law as they have too much to loose.

It is brought up frequently here on CC as I have read, against UK or EU law.... well, challenge it in your courts or through the appropriate system to prove it to me and others... the sky is NOT falling on this one or other seemingly slights!!!

bon voyage

I personally think $14.50 Is pretty cheap. I figure this based on U.S. standards of 18%. Assume breakfast is $20, lunch another $20 and dinner $50, which I think is conservative. That is $16.20 and doesn't include the ice cream or snack you may grab from Buffett and Cafe. Then factor in the room steward with turn down and you are really getting away cheap. I know there are still many countries that do not do tips, but that has changed over the years, as well.

Many of those concerned this is happening after booking are the same ones that complain when the fare they booked dropped and then try to get the better fares or OBC. You can't have it both ways and, as many said, it is in the contract you agreed to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I personally dont think i would have the nerve to stand in front of Guest Relations and make such a request, but as the saying goes, Whatever floats your boat.

a - believe me, on several sailings I have actually heard it upon embarkation day and last night.... I can only think how unfortunate.

So, we personally try to ante up a bit more to those in the front of the house for passengers who have their own thoughts about gratuities. I accept that other cultures do not have same bonding about tipping as we do in the U.S., even many of us here in the U.S. do not have the same bonding about it, yet we do know that it is a courtesy to do so for the service.

As far as I Am concerned, anyone who has an issue with paying a gratuity (current or future level), mandatory or not, need not announce it in a public forum, although it is your right to do so.

bon voyage

Wow, no one appreciates your efforts. They are all clinging to the idea that you are stiffing someone. No one here, so far, sees that it is about making sure that Celebrity follows some kind of protocol instead of it being the wild west with increases of all kinds, not just gratuities.

n - I appreciate the efforts (tenacious to say the least), I do not appreciate the reasoning behind the efforts.

Again, if one reads the CTC and CoC you will know and understand that what X has done is well within their rights and we agree to them upon giving the deposit through final payment. Like it or not.

It is well within X's right to raise prices as frequently and as much as they choose, we can only choose to go along or go away to another line which we believe is "fairer" in these regards.

bon voyage

As I started this thread I would like to add my thoughts.

We always prepay our gratuities and have never even thought of withdrawing them.

We always tip extra in cash where good service warrants it.

My biggest gripe is that Celebrity allow people to withdraw gratuities with no reason to do so. Okay a bad experience might count as a reason but usually it's just the old excuse of ' I like to tip individuals '

If the gratuities were to become an included service charge then it would not be the case that the majority are subsidising the miserly minority.

l - I can go along with that for sure. Include them in the base fare, then those who really care will provide more.

We usually do additional gratuities upfront for some staff and last night for others....

bon voyage

I,m not bothered at all with the increase.Those workers work so hard and put up with a lot of bull **** from people who think their entitled!! And we always give extra to the one's personally taking care of us on a daily basis!!

h - You could not be thinking of some CC posters surrounding gratuities, could you?? :evilsmile:

bon voyage

I personally think $14.50 Is pretty cheap. I figure this based on U.S. standards of 18%. Assume breakfast is $20, lunch another $20 and dinner $50, which I think is conservative. That is $16.20 and doesn't include the ice cream or snack you may grab from Buffett and Cafe. Then factor in the room steward with turn down and you are really getting away cheap. I know there are still many countries that do not do tips, but that has changed over the years, as well.

Many of those concerned this is happening after booking are the same ones that complain when the fare they booked dropped and then try to get the better fares or OBC. You can't have it both ways and, as many said, it is in the contract you agreed to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

p - LOL, you mean to say that "selective" wants are not part of the deal?

To my way of thinking, many will spend a lot more trying to get the 'cheaper' than the actual value of the cheaper... go figure.

bon voyage

Principle.

Fares.

No, it’s definitely not rocket science. It’s just doing the right thing, which seems to have gone out of style, along with spelling and grammar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a clever person you are, and now the whole world knows, which no doubt pleases you greatly.

Stuart

gerelmx; How very true

Some peoples lives must be so miserable that something like this will cause such aggravation.

The amount of Gratuities on a cruise.

Really, seriously this is the biggest issue to deal with in their lives ? The Gratuities on Vacation.

To begrudge the service people such a miserable pittance for their hard work makes me wonder if

these people truly understand how fortunate they are to even be on a cruise. Sad just sad how some people

view the world.

It's ridiculous to spend between $ 4,000 and $ 5,000 or more on a cruise and do not want to accept a $ 28 increase for a 14-night cruise.

Merry Christmas

Seems like people will do anything to save a dollar. The money is going to the crew who I believe works harder than the people complaining about the dollar per day increase.

Love your attitude. If I give you my address would you please send me a check...because of all the time and hard work I put in on CC helping other cruisers :).

Hank

Just had an email from Celebrity with 'updated ' gratuity rates effective on all sailings after Jan 2nd. All daily rates are increasing by $1 a day. This doesn't affect any prepaid gratuities and of course they say you can pay up now to avoid the increase.

This is such a con-artist move. I honestly NEVER understood why ANYONE would prepay their gratuities. I somewhat understand the perspective of peace of mind to know everything is paid for before you sail, but what if you get poor service and don’t want to tip the full recommended amount? Also, when you prepay, your cruise line get a hold of your money that much sooner, and they collect interest based solely upon your generosity to pay more money than you have to, well before your sailing. I would NEVER prepay for gratuity. In all of my sailings, I always ended up paying the full recommended amount of gratuity (and honestly, more often than not, even more than that)...but why pay early and give the cruise line your money early?!

Well then, Bo, keep supporting the Celebrity Wild West of increases !

My business has gone elsewhere.

Yes, I shall and do, thank you and without many qualms....

I trust you are quite happy where you have landed, please let us know.

bon voyage

Having copied the President of my TA (one of the largest), He agreed with thoughts and contacted Celebrity and got the following answer. You can on board, request the gratuity rate be honored at the original price and it will be changed.

Once a while Don Quixote Wins one !

This has always been the policy. Celebrity has never required customers to pay more than they

felt the staff deserved for the service rendered.

So, potentially withholding a dollar a day is showing "an utter lack of moral compass"? Right. Of course it is. Indubitably. Undeniably. Sheesh.

Not at all, it is the public condemnation of it which is.

If one has decided they do not want to pay the increase, go about it quietly, no need to broadcast at all.... IMO

If one chooses to broadcast something like this, well, guess what, the criticisms are abound.

Many of us are questioning the "morals" in this case, really, they are challenged for thinking that X and everyone else who have no issue with the increase and understands, somewhat fully, that X has the right to raise gratuities, fares, cost of coffee, deny cans of soda to certain beverage package holders, require/change their dress code for day/evening/night in public venues, no more "free" sushi in the buffet etc...

When enough 'potential' and past passengers have had enough, they go away and allow those who know and like the product and those who do not know the product yet, enjoy the experience to its' fullest.

There are a few who have admitted they have gone away, yet return to comment further on a product they no longer use, which is fine for the most part and within their rights to do so.

If you cannot clearly tell me where in the CTC or CoC the statements that support your position, what is the use? Some of us do not have 1G bandwidth, but obviously we need to get it to keep up with the rants and other such...

Then again, it is a holiday weekend and there are more than usual the number of posters lurking around and wanting to post something or other, with lots of time on their hands, right?

Many have provided "useful" information on this topic and similar, so it is not a total loss, to be sure.

bon voyage :p