Gratuities increasing from Jan 2nd.

lovescarborough

This is not something you have discovered with the president of a large travel agency. Anyone could go to guest relations and have the gratuities removed. We leave our gratuities in place because the crew deserve it, but I went to passenger services to get envelopes for a few crew members who had gone above and beyond the call of duty to make us comfortable. I was embarrassed to be waiting with the folks who were there to get their gratuities removed.

So the initial cost of the cruise is increased![emoji85]

However there could be no limit to the increase, perhaps more than the included tips would merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

u - quite true, yet that can happen now.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I personally think $14.50 Is pretty cheap. I figure this based on U.S. standards of 18%. Assume breakfast is $20, lunch another $20 and dinner $50, which I think is conservative. That is $16.20 and doesn't include the ice cream or snack you may grab from Buffett and Cafe. Then factor in the room steward with turn down and you are really getting away cheap. I know there are still many countries that do not do tips, but that has changed over the years, as well.

Many of those concerned this is happening after booking are the same ones that complain when the fare they booked dropped and then try to get the better fares or OBC. You can't have it both ways and, as many said, it is in the contract you agreed to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yes, and the CONTRACT I agreed to said $13.50 per day ! HELLO !

There are many things that may change from the time of original booking to day of the cruise.

The drinks, liquors, and beers included in the drink package change.

In AQ some of the perks were changed or eliminated.

Cheaper bath products.

Change of ports.

Exercise classes that were free now have a charge or aren’t offered.

No grand buffet.

it can go on and on on how things changed.

Problem is that it is not unique to the cruise lines. Every restaurant, theme park , Vegas and etc have changed and are no longer the “bargains” or like the way we use to enjoy

Happy cruising and merry Christmas 🇺🇸🛳🇺🇸🌅🎄

I personally think $14.50 Is pretty cheap. I figure this based on U.S. standards of 18%. Assume breakfast is $20, lunch another $20 and dinner $50, which I think is conservative. That is $16.20 and doesn't include the ice cream or snack you may grab from Buffett and Cafe. Then factor in the room steward with turn down and you are really getting away cheap.

This is a good perspective... Thank you..

The whole gratuity increase is irrelevant to us. We always leave our gratuities in place and give additional gratuities in cash to those who have provided outstanding service to us during the cruise. The crew aboard Celebrity is outstanding. I don't mind rewarding them with a few extra dollars. I once gave the men's bathroom attendant (Indonesian) in the Ensemble Lounge an extra cash tip because he always was waiting with a hand towel for me after I washed my hands and always had a positive attitude in the men's restroom, not the most glamorous job. He was moved to tears. He said it was the first extra recognition he had ever received. It's all good.

The whole gratuity increase is irrelevant to us. We always leave our gratuities in place and give additional gratuities in cash to those who have provided outstanding service to us during the cruise. The crew aboard Celebrity is outstanding. I don't mind rewarding them with a few extra dollars. I once gave the men's bathroom attendant (Indonesian) in the Ensemble Lounge an extra cash tip because he always was waiting with a hand towel for me after I washed my hands and always had a positive attitude in the men's restroom, not the most glamorous job. He was moved to tears. He said it was the first extra recognition he had ever received. It's all good.

e - thank you for the kind act for a deserving individual crew member. I must remember this, as often times I do overlook these crew members...

bon voyage

Give me a break! We are grateful for the outstanding service we always have received aboard X ships. The crew are outstandingly pleasant and eager to please. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford wonderful vacations and always tip additionally to the suggested amounts. The increase is $0.50 per person, per day. That's a grand total of $14.00 for a two week cruise for 2. They deserve it. Have those complaining noticed how hard working the crew is?

I personally think $14.50 Is pretty cheap. I figure this based on U.S. standards of 18%. Assume breakfast is $20, lunch another $20 and dinner $50, which I think is conservative. That is $16.20 and doesn't include the ice cream or snack you may grab from Buffett and Cafe. Then factor in the room steward with turn down and you are really getting away cheap. I know there are still many countries that do not do tips, but that has changed over the years, as well.

Many of those concerned this is happening after booking are the same ones that complain when the fare they booked dropped and then try to get the better fares or OBC. You can't have it both ways and, as many said, it is in the contract you agreed to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

p - another astute post on this topic, then again when posters speak about being 'ethical' usually, just usually they cannot think in these terms, only basic and no further because it is in their best interest and not others or so I believe this is how the thinking goes, could be incorrect but I bet not.

Thank you again and bon voyage

This is such a con-artist move. I honestly NEVER understood why ANYONE would prepay their gratuities. I somewhat understand the perspective of peace of mind to know everything is paid for before you sail, but what if you get poor service and don’t want to tip the full recommended amount? Also, when you prepay, your cruise line get a hold of your money that much sooner, and they collect interest based solely upon your generosity to pay more money than you have to, well before your sailing. I would NEVER prepay for gratuity. In all of my sailings, I always ended up paying the full recommended amount of gratuity (and honestly, more often than not, even more than that)...but why pay early and give the cruise line your money early?!

Personally, in all of our cruises we've never received less than wonderful service on any Celebrity ship. I don't feel the need to withhold my gratuities. All this hubbub about such a nominal change (that can be amended) is mind boggling to me. These people work incredibly hard, for long hours and IMHO are unbelievably pleasant and eager to please. I'd hate to be serving people who would begrudge an extra $0.50 per person per day! Kudos to the crew for being able to please so many of the people so much of the time. We will continue to pay the gratuities and be grateful that we're fortunate enough to cruise. In addition, we'll continue to reward excellence with additional gratuities.

Give me a break! We are grateful for the outstanding service we always have received aboard X ships. The crew are outstandingly pleasant and eager to please. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford wonderful vacations and always tip additionally to the suggested amounts. The increase is $0.50 per person, per day. That's a grand total of $14.00 for a two week cruise for 2. They deserve it. Have those complaining noticed how hard working the crew is?

l - another great perspective, yet I Am sure those complaining are only thinking of themselves and what X owes them for the honour of being on the ship, anything else pales.

The service personnel are to be invisible until called upon to perform a duty or function for which we are entitled and are there for nothing more or less... I sometimes forget to bring my house staff along with me, too. :evilsmile:

Thank you again and bon voyage

On a recent Celebrity cruise, while changing for a late dinner, we needed additional towels, so we dialed our room steward to request them. He answered and indicated he'd be right there with them. I later found out (to my dismay) that the man was eating his dinner and stopped to immediately deliver the towels. He never complained, but I really was sad that he couldn't eat a meal without interruption. I can only imagine how many times per cruise the staff stops what they're doing to wait on passengers and not only never complain, but serve the passengers with a smile on their faces. I don't know where they find the crew (all over the world?!) but I'm grateful for them.

For my Celebrity Eclipse with prepaid tips and the final payment made. If they ask if I accept this increase, I will say yes. This increase of $ 1 PPPD would represent 0.79% of the total paid. They earn their work and as I understand they have no salary, it is their only income tips.

It's ridiculous to spend between $ 4,000 and $ 5,000 or more on a cruise and do not want to accept a $ 28 increase for a 14-night cruise.

Merry Christmas

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, you mean «*once in a while the wealthy cruiser pulls one over on the crew, yet demands the same level of marvellous service.*» I truly pity them for having to serve some of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love your comment. I wish cruise critic had a like or love button. Many crew members jump through hoops to please guest. No problem here with the increase.

I'll try to keep this story short. My son at the age of 5 found $1,100 dollars on the Constellation (year 2005) while we were waiting to go into dinner. We were sitting in the Martini Bar. He was sitting on my lap and reached down into the sofa cushions and found 11 $100 bills rolled up. We wanted to teach the kids ethics and morals, so we went to Guest Relations and advised them a large sum of money had been found in a public area of the ship. After taking our names and stateroom number, they said we would be contacted if anyone reported losing money. The last night of the cruise we returned to Guest Relations and they said no one reported losing money and we could keep the money. Of course our two kids smiled. I looked at them and said no we are not keeping this money, and look around at the many crew members who work hard on this ship. We found the money on the ship, it stays on the ship. We proceeded to walk around that night and found 11 of our favorite crew members who were not already tipped and gave them each $100. The smiles, appreciation and hugs we received that night was worth more than that $1100.

There is a matter of principal here; had Celebrity randomly said that all cruise fairs already booked would increase by $15, then we'd all say that they can't do that. In practice, the same is happening here. I have no doubt that the crew deserve the gratuities, but Celebrity are seeking to exploit our sympathy for them by this example of bad management. They need to fix gratuity levels for cruises before those cruises go on sale. It's not rocket science.

FWIW, in the EU, which currently includes the UK, this increase would be illegal and unenforceable, as a breach of the sales contract - and any small print to permit it would probably be ruled to be an unfair contract clause.

Stuart

Principal is fine, because you are talking about money.:')

Principle.

Fares.

No, it’s definitely not rocket science. It’s just doing the right thing, which seems to have gone out of style, along with spelling and grammar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruise or Lose, you have not only offended posters with your message BUT also contravened CC Rules and Regulations:

Spelling and Grammar Erros

Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Cruise or Lose, now time it's time to be fare and stand by CC principals and apologiSe to the writer.