Magic on more exciting ports or Vista at less exciting ports?

Kova15

I am having a hard time deciding between a cruise and I thought maybe I could get some additional thoughts from some friendly CCers.

We are looking at 2 cruises for Spring Break 2019 so we have to go during this specific time. The Magic 7 day to St Thomas, San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk out of Miami. We have been on the Magic before her most recent Dry Dock and liked the ship. We've also been to all these ports except Amber Cove. I like these ports better than the Vista's ports. The Vista is going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We were just on this itinerary on our last cruise so I am not really excited about it except for the ship. The Vista is out of Galveston which is a much shorter and cheaper flight we've cruised out of Galveston before so the proximity to the port is a non issue.

I want to go on the Magic for the more exciting ports. My DH wants to go on the Vista for the cooler ship. Basically same price when you compare flight prices from DEN to HOU or DEN to MIA well save a little to HOU which will help with the extra $300 on the Vista.

What would you choose? Magic for the ports or Vista for the ship?

After just returning from yet another Western Caribbean route (unfortunately because our itinerary was changed due to the hurricanes), there’s not a ship out there cool enough to make me want to go to the Western Caribbean again any time soon.

Don’t get me wrong. I really enjoy those ports. But not over and over, and specially not for just the sake of sailing on the newest ship. So in your situation I’d definitely go with the Magic.

With all of that said, between you and your spouse, who has more “say” in your travel planning? Who tends to give in to the other’s preferences? Answer those questions and you’ll probably know where you’re headed on your next cruise. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

We were almost on the same ports except for amber cove on the Glory! We are considering the vista as we have been to ports too but will stay on the ship for Jamaica and will see a lot of the ship! Like the idea of a 6 day and we want to try a new ship!!

Vista...especially if you do the Havana experience. Also Amber Cove and Grand Turk are nothing to get excited about....Glorified Beach stops for Grand Turk...and really very touristy (just shops unless you take an hour excursion somewhere)and in a poor area in Amber Cove.. And hopefully the island infrastructures and greenery will have returned to some semblance of normal in St Thomas and San Juan within the next 15 months

Edited by lcpagejr

We travel 90% by ship for the ports. I know that it will take a very long time before PR and ST will have palm trees go back to thier normalcy. Have you thought about ABC or Bermuda or something different if not been there? Must it be Carnival?

Just brainstorming :cool:

And hopefully the island infrastructures and greenery will have returned to some semblance of normal in St Thomas and San Juan within the next 15 months

I went to Puerto Rico just threw weeks after hurricane Maria hit, and I was amazed at how quickly Mother Nature is regenerating. New leaves and flowers were already sprouting everywhere. The lush green was already returning. I was encouraged by all the signs of progress.

Business were open, including malls, restaurants and movie theaters. Old San Juan, where the ships dock, is in the most part in good shape except for some mangled business signs. But the infrastructure suffered minor damage. The big thing is that a lot of people are operating using backup generators.

Beaches did sustain substantial damage. I only visited the ones on the west side of the island and it was heartbreaking. These may take much longer to return to their original beauty, but cruise visits normally don’t allow enough time to enjoy them anyway, with most passengers staying in the Old San Juan area so this should not be an issue, except for those that must go to a Beach.

But for a cruise stop of only a few hours, San Juan is more than ready to receive visitors. There’s plenty to see and do, and the locals are eager to jump start the economy, so they are doing everything they can to get the island back to what it used to be, if not better.

Magic for sure over Vista....if not for the ship alone. The Vista was the ship we LEAST liked, it is over touted and underwhelming, very crowded, closed in, awful theatre, little to no windows, lines everywhere, ugly decorating (to us - very plastic and cheap appearing)....just off Magic and it was FAR better in ALL ways than Vista, PLUS the Magic has a better itinerary....to me the Magic is the winner hands down!!

Vista...especially if you do the Havana experience. Also Amber Cove and Grand Turk are nothing to get excited about....Glorified Beach stops for Grand Turk...and really very touristy (just shops unless you take an hour excursion somewhere)and in a poor area in Amber Cove.. And hopefully the island infrastructures and greenery will have returned to some semblance of normal in St Thomas and San Juan within the next 15 months

Just got off the Vista and had a Havana Cabana. We really didn't care for it at all. We could hear the thumping music from the Havana bar in our cabin nightly until almost 1am. I like the concept of the Havana area and there was lots of seating, but the music they played out there was not relaxing and at times so loud we couldn't hear each other talk. Also prefer just a regular balcony that I can sit on and watch the water go by. Lines were long, room service very slow as well as elevators. It was a big disappointment for us and we had sailed her previously in Europe and had a great time.

Magic! Never been on her but 3X on the Breeze. The Vista like many have stated is underwhelming. It is our least favorite ship of any cruise line. You don't have to search much to find the disappointments with Vista and how many people on a Carnival forum would pick a Royal Oasis class over Vista. Magic anyday. Have fun!

I am having a hard time deciding between a cruise and I thought maybe I could get some additional thoughts from some friendly CCers.

We are looking at 2 cruises for Spring Break 2019 so we have to go during this specific time. The Magic 7 day to St Thomas, San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk out of Miami. We have been on the Magic before her most recent Dry Dock and liked the ship. We've also been to all these ports except Amber Cove. I like these ports better than the Vista's ports. The Vista is going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We were just on this itinerary on our last cruise so I am not really excited about it except for the ship. The Vista is out of Galveston which is a much shorter and cheaper flight we've cruised out of Galveston before so the proximity to the port is a non issue.

I want to go on the Magic for the more exciting ports. My DH wants to go on the Vista for the cooler ship. Basically same price when you compare flight prices from DEN to HOU or DEN to MIA well save a little to HOU which will help with the extra $300 on the Vista.

What would you choose? Magic for the ports or Vista for the ship?

We have sailed both ships, Magic seven days to Caribbean and Vista 13 day Transatlantic.

Since you asked, I'd choose Magic for the ship and the ports.

Magic for sure over Vista....if not for the ship alone. The Vista was the ship we LEAST liked, it is over touted and underwhelming, very crowded, closed in, awful theatre, little to no windows, lines everywhere, ugly decorating (to us - very plastic and cheap appearing)....just off Magic and it was FAR better in ALL ways than Vista, PLUS the Magic has a better itinerary....to me the Magic is the winner hands down!!

You stated exactly how I feel about Vista.

26 cruises sailed on 17 different ships and Vista is my least favorite. She'd have to have an extraordinary itinerary to ever sail her again. Don't get me wrong, we had an amazing TA but it was because of the ports and reuniting with some 12 couples we befreinded on other cruises over the years.

We booked on Horizon TA, but transferred to another cruise because Horizon is too much like Vista.