LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

Napier, New Zealand – February 4, 2018

I skipped water aerobics to get an extra hour of sleep. Morning trivia was at 10:30 before we were docked and cleared. Only Bonnie (who often plays with us at afternoon trivia) was there from the “Beach Team”, so we played with another team that was missing members. We had 11 correct and tied with another team for top score (since there are no prizes there are no tie-breakers). Hamish did have Australia/New Zealand pins which he passed out to everyone since we don’t get vouchers on port days.

1)The Golden Buddha in Bangkok is made of 5 tons of ___.

2)How long was Robinson Crusoe shipwrecked?

3)What are you doing when you nictate?

4)June Allyson is Godmother of which HAL ship?

5)Which movie gave Julie Andrews the chance to play a man?

After trivia I went to the Lido for an early lunch and sat by the pool until it was time to meet for my excursion. I chose the “Hawke’s Bay Express” tour which was on a “road train”. We were picked up by Will and Krysia who, along with Will’s family built the train. Napier experienced a catastrophic earthquake, which along with the ensuing fires) on February 3, 1931 destroyed the city. We learned that the size of Napier grew larger after the earthquake because it raised some land above sea level.

When Napier rebuilt, art deco was the current style and many of the buildings from the 30s remain. Napier calls itself the “Art Deco Capital of the World”. Many people lovingly drive vehicles from the period and dress appropriately for the 30s.

We could take the train back to the ship or be left off in the centre of town. The downtown area is fairly compact and it was a beautiful sunny day with a temperatures of about 70, so I decided to walk around.

I had gotten more New Zealand dollars than I really needed and had spent very little cash in Auckland or Tauranga and I was beginning to think I might have to exchange it on the ship for Australian dollars. However, I managed to spend a good deal of it today. I purchased wool/possum fur gloves for my cruise next year as well as a few souvenirs. I was also able to find the odds and ends I looked for in Auckland but couldn’t find.

Everyone has been talking about “Hokey Pokey” candy and ice cream although nobody I asked on the ship could agree what is in it. So, when I saw a homemade gelato shop, I decided to try it. It was delicious so I bought a bag of the candy but haven’t tried it yet.

Returned on the free shuttle bus (not allowed to walk in the port area because of safety and security) in time to work on my pictures and play 5:00 trivia. Once again nobody else from the team was present so I joined another team. We had 15 and the winning team had a perfect 17.

1)What is the third largest Mediterranean island?

2)What is the official sport of Alaska?

3)What does the word “sushi” refer to?

4)In what city was Michelangelo raised?

5)On what island was Napoleon when he died?

Read a little before getting ready for dinner. All eight were present. I had cream of broccoli soup, Caesar salad, New Zealand pork schnitzel, and watermelon sorbet for dessert.

There was no show tonight (just a movie) so I worked on the blog until it was sail-away time (about 10:30) when I went out on my deck to watch. It was a beautiful clear evening with a sky full of stars.

Sea day tomorrow as we head to Port Chalmers (Dunedin).

Morning trivia…

1)gold

2)28 years

3)blinking

4)Maasdam

5)Victor/Victoria

Afternoon trivia…

1)Cyprus

2)dogsledding

3)rice

4)Florence

5)St. Helena

At Sea – February 5, 2018

Today was Super Bowl Monday. Not a typo, we are 18 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Super Bowl LII was broadcast over the cabin TV or you could watch in the Queen’s Lounge on the large screen. There was a buffet and the Queen’s Lounge was decorated for the event. There was also a special package that you could purchase giving you front row seats and unlimited beverages as well as food service to your seat. I heard that this cost $75 per person. The festivities began at noon and there was a noticeable absence of people around the ship in the early afternoon. Needless to say, I was not one of those watching the game.

I slept in again and skipped water aerobics. Went to Sit and Stitch and some people brought the wool they purchased in New Zealand. There were only 5 of us.

Trivia was earlier than usual at 11 am because of the game. We had 10 correct and the winners had 11.

1)Where were the Summer Olympics held in 1980?

2)What did the crocodile swallow in Peter Pan?

3)What is the atomic number for lead?

4)In what city is the Blue Mosque?

5)What is the fastest fish in the sea?

I tried the hot dog from the Dive-In which was OK but I won’t get it with cheese again (the cheese wasn’t very good today). I finished my book and took it to the paperback exchange and started a new one while waiting for arts and crafts. There were only about half the usual number of people at arts and crafts. We were supposed to make a possum fur brooch but Nancy did not have all of the fixings so we made a Southern Cross zipper pull. She did have a possum pelt for us to feel.

Since I had not gone to water aerobics, I spent 45 minutes in the pool. The air temperature was only about 65 so the pool water was a bit chilly. After swimming I sat in the sun for another 45 minutes before getting ready for afternoon trivia.

Once again we were the runner up team with 15 out of 17. The winners had 16.

1)Who was the first golfer to win the British Open, US Open, and Masters in one year?

2)Which nation is home to the largest desert in the Western Hemisphere?

3)Which British university has the oldest botanical garden dating to the 16th century?

4)What does the field of proteomics attempt to analyze?

5)The Berlin Wall was opened in what month and year? (Bonus worth 2 points)

I had finished my second scarf during Sit and Stitch so I started on my second hat while watching the ocean by the Lido Pool.

Only six of us for dinner because Kathy and Mike were at the Captain’s Dinner. I had fruit, a lamb kebab, the fish and chips, and a berry crisp for dessert.

The show was a mime/magician/comedian that I passed on since I have an all day excursion tomorrow and needed to get to bed early (before midnight!!!).

Dunedin tomorrow.

Morning trivia…

1)Moscow

2)clock

3)82

4)Istanbul

5)sailfish

Afternoon trivia…

1)Ben Hogan

2)Argentina

3)Oxford

4)proteins

5)November 1989

Late posting - explanation below.

Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand – February 6, 2018

We were supposed to arrive this morning at 8 am but when I awoke at 8 we were still coming into the channel. The channel is fairly narrow and the Norwegian Jewel was ahead of her. Captain Jonathan told us that he did not want to get any closer until the Jewel was safely tied up. Because of this we did not start getting off until about 9:00. The morning was very cool (at about 50 degrees) and the captain made an announcement that people might want to dress accordingly. The day warmed up a bit but there was a constant change from sun to clouds and rain showers throughout the day.

I had booked a private excursion set up on our Cruise Critic roll call for a city tour of Dunedin. We were just a little late starting due to the back up in getting off the ship. Our first stop was at Larnach Castle which was started in 1871. There were a lot of steps inside so I only toured the ground floor. I joined Tom and Jeanette in the café and had a delicious scone with jam and cream.

After viewing beautiful scenes from the hillside we had a tour of Speight’s Brewery, the largest brewery on the South Island. The building is built over the natural spring that provides the water for the beer. They use 24 million litres of this water a year in the production of the beer and give away another million from the free water tap outside the building. At the end of the tour we had a sampling. We were given a glass of their Gold Medal Ale and then we could pour glasses of any of their other beers.

From the brewery we went to the beautiful railroad station which is the most photographed building in the country. We had an hour in which many took the chance to have lunch but I was still full from my scone. Instead I took advantage of the free wi-fi in the restaurant.

We then had a tour of the city center. Because it was Waitangi Day and a national holiday, there was very little traffic and we were able to see much of the city before returning to the ship.

I got back on board at just about 5 pm and was able to get to trivia by question #3. There were only four of us on the team and we ended up with 12 points and the winning team had 15 out of 17.

1)What was Sherlock Holmes’ friend Dr. Watson’s first name?

2)Which US city has more than 30 Buddhist temples?

3)What is the hardest bone in the body?

4)Which country has the most coastline in the world?

5)Who was the only living artist to have his work displayed in the Grand Gallery of the Louvre?

Sail-away was shortly after trivia. I went out on my deck to watch. There was a piper playing us out. We also had a short shower which produced a beautiful rainbow. The Captain announced that there was a colony of albatrosses as we were leaving the channel. He came back a few minutes later that there were also penguins so I stayed out on deck to take pictures.

All were present for dinner. I had the French onion soup, pot roast, and kiwi pavlova for dessert.

Really tired after the all day tour so I skipped the show. I was going to post this without the pictures last night but after two unsuccessful tries to get on the internet, I gave up and went to bed. That is why this post is late.

Trivia…

1)John

2)Honolulu

3)jaw bone

4)Canada

5)Picasso

Thanks for your report and photos........good one of the Albatrosses.

Did you see any Albatross circling over the ship as you sailed out of the Otago Harbour?

We watched Amsterdam sailing out on the Albatross webcam, later saw her when she passed by Dunedin.

Scenic Cruising – February 7, 2018

Today we cruised through Fiordland National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We started at 8 am in Dusky Sound. It was very windy out on my deck (I was watching from the comfort of my bed) and the sky was overcast so I had no desire to get up to see it. Rolled over and went back to sleep until 9.

I went to Sit and Stitch but was the only one until about 10:30 when Peggy and Dawn joined me. There was supposed to be hot chocolate out on my deck at 11:00 when we were entering Doubtful Sound. By then the sky had cleared up but it was still windy and cool (60-ish) but I never saw any hot chocolate so I only stayed out about 20 minutes before heading to morning trivia.

We had six playing but were only able to get 9 correct. The winning team had 12.

1)What common household item invented by Hamilton Smith can also be found on this ship?

2)What was the first toy advertised on TV?

3)Wake, kettle, and committee can be used to describe a group of what birds?

4)What is the only type of fruit that has its seeds on the outside?

5)What is the atomic number of carbon?

Since I had not processed my pictures (chosen, cropped, and resized) from yesterday, I spent about an hour before lunch taking care of that. After lunch I went to the library to get the blog up.

A little after 3 pm we entered Milford Sound the most spectacular of the three. I stood out on my deck which was very crowded. The only space available was on the starboard side where the view was not as spectacular but I figured I could see the other side on the way out. Unfortunately, when we turned the wind made it hard to even stand up. I gave up my idea and worked my way back to the port side (gripping the railing most of the way) and inside.

Before afternoon trivia I worked on my pictures for today. All six of us played but we only had 13 and the winning team had a perfect 18.

1)Who was the first female Native American on US currency?

2)What military alliance was formed in response to NATO?

3)What is Canada’s largest inland sea?

4)According to the FDA, which is the only fish to produce real caviar?

5)Which hand holds the hammer in the Arm and Hammer logo?

The team sat and talked for over an hour after trivia was over.

All present for dinner. I had tomato mozzarella, meat loaf, and fruit with sorbet. I hadn’t tried meatloaf in something like 50 years and didn’t like it then. I thought my tastes might have changed but I still don’t care for it.

Fiona Pears, a violinist, was on the program tonight. She was very good.

We gain another hour tonight and have another sea day.

Morning trivia…

1)washing machine

2)Mr. Potato Head

3)vultures

4)strawberry

5)6

Afternoon trivia…

1)Pocahontas

2)Warsaw Pact

3)Hudson Bay

4)sturgeon

5)right

Thanks for your report and photos........good one of the Albatrosses.

Did you see any Albatross circling over the ship as you sailed out of the Otago Harbour?

We watched Amsterdam sailing out on the Albatross webcam, later saw her when she passed by Dunedin.

I didn't notice any but I was so busy looking for the penguins I could easily have missed them.

Great reports Kathi.

Don't give it a thought if your posts are delayed. We know the challenges of the internet on the ship as well as your time (and $) on busy port days.

We appreciate you taking the time and $ to share with us.

Thank you:D

'Your deck' didn't seem too friendly to you today - between the crowd and the wind [and for me the chill] and no hot chocolate. At least it was close by.

Penguins yesterday? I hadn't considered the itinerary being that far south [i was thinking summer in the southern hemispheres]. Of course had I made it, there would have been more research done on actual weather expectations.

I'm really enjoying all the pictures, since it looks like I'll never get to go myself. Just having a daily update - is worth any waiting, plus considering the time difference in posting.

Thank you, Kathi.

At Sea – February 8, 2018

Woke up at 8:15 and was in the pool by 8:45. Although the water is supposedly heated, it was really chilly. After water aerobics I tried a sticky bun (pretty good) and had orange juice.

There were only about seven of us at Sit and Stitch. I finished my second hat.

Off to trivia at 11:30. All six of us were present and we had 12 correct. We WON!!! First time the “Beach Team” (our name) won a trivia.

1)In what country did table tennis start?

2)Who wrote and first recorded “Blue Suede Shoes”?

3)In what city was Martin Luther King, Jr. born?

4)How many sides on a heptagon?

5)Who is the Greek God of mischief?

Read a little before heading to lunch about 1:00. Joined Cyndi for arts and crafts. We made a pearl bracelet with a koala charm. Read for an hour after crafts and then headed for trivia which was held in the Crow’s Nest because of a private party in the Piano Bar. We were not able to make a winning streak with only 14 correct out of 17. The winning team had 15.

1)Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same at what temperature?

2)What is the official language of Liberia?

3)How old was Charles Dickens when he went to work in a factory?

4)In what country is Mount Ararat?

5)What was the first movie to surpass $1 billion in ticket sales?

Tonight was the “Under the Sea” Gala Night. Most everyone was dressed formally with only a few that looked really out of place although I did not see them in the dining room. The dining room was decorated in shades of blue. I had pineapple, salad, Chateaubriand, and apple caramel cheesecake for dessert.

The show was the singers and dancers in a production called “Nations”. According to the “When & Where” (the daily program) it included a selection of music and culture from some European countries.

Speaking of the “When & Where”, I find it (and others I have talked with think so as well) not as good as the program that used to be on HAL. Many times they give little information and sometimes you have to guess what the show is even about. For example, yesterday’s

When & Where” did not even mention that Fiona Pears was a violinist.

No "pillow gift" this Gala Night.

Another day at sea tomorrow.

Morning trivia…

1)England

2)Carl Perkins

3)Atlanta

4)7

5)Ate

Afternoon trivia…

1)-40 degrees

2)English

3)12

4)Turkey

5)Titanic

Smooth sailing until next time.

You are doing very well at Trivia. :)

No pillow gift last night? Hope you are not suffering from pillow gift withdrawal ;):')

thanks for the fabulous posts and blog. Really enjoying it all. :)

You are doing very well at Trivia. :)

No pillow gift last night? Hope you are not suffering from pillow gift withdrawal ;):')

thanks for the fabulous posts and blog. Really enjoying it all. :)

We were joking at dinner tonight that not only did we not get any hats last night, we didn't get a pillow gift! :D

At Sea – February 9, 2018

Woke up at 8:28 (overslept a little) but was in the pool by 8:40. Once again the water was very chilly. There were two ladies already in the pool when I got in. One said they were telling themselves it was at least one degree warmer than yesterday. That was still very cool.

To Sit and Stitch at 10. There were only a handful present. I started on my socks from the yarn purchased in Auckland. Judy and I tried a new cast-on that we were not able to master. Instead she taught me the crochet cast-on.

Morning trivia only gave us 9 points while the winners had 13.

1)What two animals are on the Australian coat of arms?

2)Who is the patron saint of painters?

3)What is the only Central American country without a coast on the Caribbean?

4)What was the name of the Skipper on Gilligan’s Island?

5)What is the only rock that will float on water?

Worked some more on my sock before going to lunch at 1:15. Sat with Cyndi while I ate.

Today in arts and crafts we did zentangle. If you have never heard of it, you are not alone – very few in the group had. Basically, it is taking drawings and putting them into artistic designs. We were given the outline of a butterfly or sun and then filled it in with designs based on aboriginal designs. It is supposed to reduce stress and improve focus but it was not my favorite craft so far – maybe because I have no drawing talents.

Spent about an hour and a half before afternoon trivia alternating between reading my book and working on my sock.

Afternoon trivia was not great either. We had 14 and the winners (two teams tied) had 17 out of 20.

1)What was the top grossing movie of the 1950s?

2)What do players get to do when they roll doubles three times in a roll in Monopoly?

3)What is the modern name for Asia Minor?

4)How many schools are in the Ivy League?

5)Name the original members of The Jackson 5.

Went to Name That Tune at 7. I only got 6 correct.

Kathy and Mike ate in the Pinnacle so only 6 for dinner. I had tomato and feta cheese tart, Caesar salad, beef short ribs, and a butterscotch sundae for dessert.

I have to get up early (6 am!!!) for the sail-in to Sydney. Sydney is one of the cities where it is worth a sleep sacrifice to watch the sail-in. Because of the early start I skipped the show.

Morning trivia…

1)kangaroo and emu

2)St. Luke

3)El Salvador

4)Jonas Gumby

5)pumice

Afternoon trivia…

1)The Ten Commandments

2)go to jail

3)Turkey

4)8

5)Germaine, Tito, Jackie, Michael, and Marlon