Review of St. Thomas, Martinique, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao

somogirl

We were on the Royal Princess Nov. 30th- Dec. 10th. We had a wonderful cruise, I thought I would share what we did at the ports in case anyone is researching.

ST. THOMAS- We didn't go to any beaches because we weren't sure of the condition but still wanted to support the economy after the hurricanes. We went to a few shops and then found a fun outdoor pub in a beautiful courtyard, it is part of the Amalia Café. We were a group of 8 and met up with a big group from another cruise ship, there was a lot of toasting and singing going on. Our bartender still did not have electricity at her home and appreciated our business.

MARTINIQUE- We walked off the ship and down two piers to catch the water ferry over to Anse Mitan, about a 20 minute ride. You pay full fare up front $7 RT, and they take dollars. It's a nice quiet beach that offers chair rentals ( $5 for a few hours) and a café within walking distance that has take out food and beverages. Everyone took dollars or credit cards. They say the ferry runs every 30 minutes but we found it to be every hour.

GRENADA- Walked out of cruise port to take a little walk in the town. Be aware of tour guides wanting to get your business. We had a man follow us around even though we told him we were fine on our own. We walked up to Fort George, $2 fee to get in, beautiful views of the island and you see a prison that is 300 years old. We walked down the back side through the local markets and grocery store. The store had a horrible odor and learned they don't refrigerate their fish. This took us about 30 minutes.

BONAIRE- Took a quick walk through this beautiful town with sorbet colored buildings. We had a scheduled excursion through Princess for snorkeling. Wonderful trip on a small boat with a fabulous crew, their boat was the Lucky 7. They took us to two different spots for snorkeling. We had rum punch, wine and beautiful boat ride back to ship. We found a quaint bar on the water near the pier, Karel's Beach Bar. We had drinks with an amazing water view and watched the sunset as our ship was not departing until 7pm.

CURACAO- We walked off the ship and took a 20 minute taxi ($5 pp each way) to Mambo beach. A beautiful beach with many amenities. They have Tiki huts and bars all along the water, shops and even a swimming pool. It cost $3.50 to enter the beach When you sit on a lounger the staff will ask for $3.50 and give you a ticket, you can move to another chair if you like it just has to be in the same color that the bar owns. They have plenty of umbrellas, huts and trees for shade, and many bars have free wifi. We spent several hours there, cost $34 for 2 (taxi, beach fee and chair). When you leave there are plenty of taxi's waiting to take you back to the ship.

After the beach I walked through the beautiful town. Everything was so clean and colorful. I recommend walking to the pier and taking a photo of the town. They decorate big time for Christmas, decorations everywhere. Although I didn't spend much time in town they had a nice selection of outdoor bars and cafe's.

I wish I could get my photos to download (but they wouldn't) because I have some nice photos to share.

MARTINIQUE- We walked off the ship and down two piers to catch the water ferry over to Anse Mitan, about a 20 minute ride. You pay full fare up front $7 RT, and they take dollars. It's a nice quiet beach that offers chair rentals ( $5 for a few hours) and a café within walking distance that has take out food and beverages. Everyone took dollars or credit cards. They say the ferry runs every 30 minutes but we found it to be every hour.

Are there restrooms available? Do you remember the name of the café and what do you consider walking distance? We are both ambulatory, but would have difficulty walking the length of several football fields.;)

I went on-line to do a search about the beach at Anse Matin and while it sounds beautiful, they do warn about the very deep water. It sounds as though it is not the usual gentle sloping Caribbean beach.

Are there restrooms available? Do you remember the name of the café and what do you consider walking distance? We are both ambulatory, but would have difficulty walking the length of several football fields.;)

Yes restrooms are available. I would say the walk is less than a 100 ft. The cafe was Hotel Bambou.

Yes restrooms are available. I would say the walk is less than a 100 ft. The cafe was Hotel Bambou.

Thank you for your response. You have been most helpful. I know that Martinique is not typically the tourist friendly island that you find elsewhere in the Caribbean and this looks like a good option for us. Did you venture into the water? Are the reports of deep water correct? I am a decent swimmer, but have some problems getting out of the water if there is a steep drop-off and not a gentle slope.

Thank you for your response. You have been most helpful. I know that Martinique is not typically the tourist friendly island that you find elsewhere in the Caribbean and this looks like a good option for us. Did you venture into the water? Are the reports of deep water correct? I am a decent swimmer, but have some problems getting out of the water if there is a steep drop-off and not a gentle slope.

Yes there is a drop off after you walk out a bit and it is rocky, I found water shoes to be helpful.