Anyone on BA in Winter Storm Grayson off Carolinas?

SailBreakaway

For those that wanted to track the BA live homecoming - give this LM Harbor / SOL live Earthbcam a try - should come within view shortly (hit your browser's refresh if it timed out)

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/statueofliberty/?cam=liberty_hd

(P.S. buttons on the lower left - zoom & pan)

Thanks...I haven't looked at that one in years...forgot all about it...:)

Curious if any of our forum members are on board on way back North to NY off Carolinas tonight? Have to think it has to be pretty ‘sporty’ out there tonight.

Might be a little chilly for the ropes??

Some woman phoned in a complaint to Fox in San Diego, saying the waves were 15 to 16 feet yesterday and she'd never seen anything like it. Geez! Fifteen feet is NORMAL ocean swell. When DH and I were on the Jewel during Hurricane Sandy the first night we had some 40 ft waves. Now that you can complain about.

In the words of Taylor Swift “Welcome to New York”. Glad everyone made it back safe. My wife and I always say, even the worst cruise is better than a good week at work! Hopefully they can get some glass folks In to repair those doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe they are waiting for a ice breaker to clear some ice from the river?. The US guard posted this video of them clearing the Hudson River:

What a difference from a few weeks ago. We were on BA the week before Christmas and there was no ice on the Hudson.

What a difference from a few weeks ago. We were on BA the week before Christmas and there was no ice on the Hudson.

We have taken many winter cruises out of NY and I remember the Dawn's second year in service - they needed a boat to break up the ice to get the ship near the pier so passengers could get off and we could get on. When we got back about 10 days later they need to repeat - I had never seen so much ice in the Hudson. The year before it had been so warm and uneventful we had the balcony door open the whole way up the river. God Bless Mother Nature !!!!

I imagine the press will have a feeding frenzy, hoping to get lurid tales of disaster from some of those disembarking...:rolleyes:
Well, ;p :eek: of course - some news outfit will try their best, plenty of "news" all around in area airports. Afterall, they tried to make something out of nothing when an Airbus 380 jumbo whale got diverted & landed at Stewart A/P yesterday, saying that pax had to deplane via exterior jetbridge as the regular ones were too short or low at this "small" airport. Sure, "small" airport's runway is almost 12,000 ft. and nearly as long as JFK's and actively used by the military, duh.

Well, that SOL earthcam didn't do any good this time, it was offline & playing old clips. But, that new zooming webcam at PNY is very, very nice at its new location - excellent resolution, HD quality/almost ... with all the details. Watching her turn onto Pier 88 now, cool.

Do they always use a tug to turn her? I was asleep when we came into port.

I'm thinking its has to due to the wind...It has to be going slow to turn into the slip and I think the wind was making that maneuver harder then normal so they used the tugs

Do they always use a tug to turn her? I was asleep when we came into port.

i always sail out of NYC and they always had tugs on standby for help making the tight turn into the pier. I remember reading something years ago, it was required by the pilot or some other company.

Ship is pulling into dock now. We arrived earlier than anticipated.

Ocean was much calmer last night. Hope all those cruising the BA next have a wonderful time!

There is some exterior damage. For those of you who have thermal spa package, I’m sure you will love it as much as my DH & I did! Just a heads up - the hot tub and pool in spa were emptied yesterday and still empty as of noon today. Probably because of sea conditions.

Ship is pulling into dock now. We arrived earlier than anticipated.

Ocean was much calmer last night. Hope all those cruising the BA next have a wonderful time!

There is some exterior damage. For those of you who have thermal spa package, I’m sure you will love it as much as my DH & I did! Just a heads up - the hot tub and pool in spa were emptied yesterday and still empty as of noon today. Probably because of sea conditions.

Thank you for the best wishes on the next cruise. We are sitting in a hotel lobby right now waiting to head over. They have asked us to wait until 8 before boarding but many have already headed over. Not sure when we will get there. Sounds like you had a different cruise then most of us have encountered. Glad you made it back safely. Stay warm.

Thank you for the best wishes on the next cruise. We are sitting in a hotel lobby right now waiting to head over. They have asked us to wait until 8 before boarding but many have already headed over. Not sure when we will get there. Sounds like you had a different cruise then most of us have encountered. Glad you made it back safely. Stay warm.
Enjoy![emoji484][emoji111][emoji6][emoji106][emoji854]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Boarding tonight 6 - 10

Winter Storm Grayson - January 5, 2018 at 9:00 AM ET (1:00 PM UTC)

Due to winter storm Grayson, Norwegian Breakaway will have a delayed arrival into New York today. As a result, Norwegian Breakaway’s 14-day cruise that was originally scheduled to depart on January 5 will now depart on Saturday, January 6 at 3 pm. Due to the ship’s late arrival today and the ongoing weather situation, embarking guests are encouraged to arrive to the pier on Saturday morning; all guests must be onboard by 1 pm on January 6. Guests unable to adjust their travel plans are welcome to board on Friday evening, between 6 pm and 10 pm.

The ship will now sail a slightly adjusted itinerary, which will be communicated to guests onboard. All guests will receive a refund of one day of their cruise fare, in the form of an onboard credit. We sincerely thank our guests for their understanding of this unexpected change due to the weather and apologize to our guests for any disruption to their schedule. Any further updates will be posted on NCL.com.

Terminal is an absolute hell zone. People were still disembarking at 630 even though the ships been docked since 2. There's no where to sit in the terminal. It's 7 PM and still no boarding announcement. Hindsight I would have waited until tomorrow at 2 to board.

That's exactly what I was concerned about. NCL needs to get its act together. I think tHey knew this was going to be horrendous but didn't want to make it seem like passengers were delayed by a full day. Sorry it's so bad there but appreciate the update Please continue. Those of the many cruisers who aren't there appreciate it.