CUBA visa, affidavit, documentation, other requirements.

Arzeena

Booked a Cuba and Caribbean cruise for June 23. It is overnighting in Havana and also visiting one other port in Cuba. We are US citizens and have passports.

My questions:

What documents/visa/affidavit are we required to bring with us? Or does HAL take care of that once we are on board?

I saw an affidavit form on HAL's website...which of the 12 categories do we come under??? :confused:it is confusing me! How do we dfill out that form? I believe we have to bring it with us and show it at embarkation?

Can we only take excursions with HAL? (I intend to but wanted to ask of other options as well)

Can someone please explain in detail. Just want to be prepared and not denied boarding due to lack of any visa document.

Seeing these HAL cruises to Cuba are so new, few of us have any first hand informattiont o shaer. have you asked your TA for help geting answers?

Other cruise lines, including NCL are doing cuba cruises perhaps it might be helpful to do some reading o n that forum?,

I was seriously considering booking one of HAL's cuba cruises but did not do so.

Seeing these HAL cruises to Cuba are so new, few of us have any first hand informattiont o shaer. have you asked your TA for help geting answers?

Other cruise lines, including NCL are doing cuba cruises perhaps it might be helpful to do some reading o n that forum?,

I was seriously considering booking one of HAL's cuba cruises but did not do so.

Thanks.

I read the other forums and did a search on this one for Cuba visa. Lots of info, but who is correct??????

We have looked at a few of the HAL- Cuba cruises but hesitate to book because of lack of info on procedures, whether we are required to take HAL excursions, can we possibly go off on our own, etc etc. So many questions....very few answers.

Hank

In December we sailed on the Oceania Insignia round trip Miami to 3 ports in Cuba. Oceania handled the visa for us at a cost of $75 pp. I imagine that HAL will do the same but you have to check.. Oceania has a very thorough FAQ section on Cuba on their website. There are forms that you have to submit in advance but again, Oceania and our TA instructed us with the correct answers. When we disembarked at our first port we were given a paper to keep with us all the time. It was returned to Cuban authorities when we returned to the ship. They stamped our passports with a Cuban visa the first time we went through Cuban immigration in Havana, our first port.

As far as the Cuban government goes, you can do whatever you want. Take a ship's tour or private tour or just walk around yourself. Hire a 50's car and driver. Its all fine with them. The U.S. government on the hand, has supposedly put restrictions on what American citizens can and can't do. You are supposed to keep documentation of your visit for 5 years.

According to the U.S. government, you are not supposed to patronize any establishment that is owned by the Cuban government. But, even the 5 star international hotels are partially owned by the government. And the brand new tour buses built in China are owned by the government. As well as all the tourist stores where you can buy cigars and rum.

We anticipated a long line and interrogation at U.S. customs when we disembarked in Miami and so booked a later flight - just in case. Imagine our surprise when the customs agent took my passport ran it through the computer, and said "welcome home. You're good to go." It took all of 30 seconds and we were done. I could have had 500 cigars in my suitcase instead of 5! (the supposed limit is 100).

This was our first cruise on Oceania. We chose it primarily for the itinerary. Round trip Miami, an overnight in Havana and two other cities, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba. I think Oceania did a wonderful job, as far as they could, in preparing us for our visit. They had an excellent port guide, Sandy Cares. The first night of the cruise, there was no show, instead they had Sandy give a very informative preview lecture in the showroom and it was standing room only. She had a lecture almost every day.

For a variety of reasons, we only took the ship's tours and we were very satisfied. But other people on the ship booked private tours or negotiated with a car and driver right outside the pier.

Go!

We have looked at a few of the HAL- Cuba cruises but hesitate to book because of lack of info on procedures, whether we are required to take HAL excursions, can we possibly go off on our own, etc etc. So many questions....very few answers.

Hank

Have you seen this, on HAL's website? It's linked under the "Cuba" destinations section.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/eBrochures/destinations/Holland_America_Line_Guest_Q_A_for_Cuba.pdf

Booked a Cuba and Caribbean cruise for June 23. It is overnighting in Havana and also visiting one other port in Cuba. We are US citizens and have passports.

My questions:

What documents/visa/affidavit are we required to bring with us? Or does HAL take care of that once we are on board?

I saw an affidavit form on HAL's website...which of the 12 categories do we come under??? :confused:it is confusing me! How do we dfill out that form? I believe we have to bring it with us and show it at embarkation?

Can we only take excursions with HAL? (I intend to but wanted to ask of other options as well)

Can someone please explain in detail. Just want to be prepared and not denied boarding due to lack of any visa document.

Just back from the Veendam's first Cuba cruise - and we shared all your same confusions ahead of time. You will need your passport and HAL issues you the Cuban visa when you check in. The cost is added to your onboard account and also includes the mandatory Cuban health insurance. You don't have to do anything other than pay for these documents.

CUBAN VISAS: HAL then gives you a two part "visa" which you carry with your passport - which they will take when you actually go through your Cuban immigration check point. They said they would tear off one section for each port, but they did not until they took the whole thing at the second port and then issued us a "boarding pass" to get back on the ship. This apparently was of no importance to them, but it is critical you have this document with you along with your passport at all times.

FOUR PAGE CUBAN AFFIDAVIT: Good thing you found that four page Cuba Affidavit in your Boarding Pass documents up front - they segregated the embarkation lines into those who had it already filled out and those who did not. And made them available for those who had not yet filled them out which delayed their embarkation somewhat. I was using only HAL tours so I checked the box that said I would be in that category. There did not seem to be any further follow-up on this Affidavit or bother with what box got checked.

HAL recommended one check the part official and part private touring to maintain most flexIbility, but honestly I don't know where this would have had any practical impact one way or the other. Their immigration check seemed quite routine and coming back to FLL was a total breeze (We are GOES) with no questions asked at all about our time in Cuba.. So for this question, I would follow HAL's recommendation and check off the second of the three choices - taking both official and private touring options.

I simply chose the four page numbers from the Boarding Pass documents and printed them out, avoiding printing the entire rest of this document, besides the obviously necessary first page. Will your printer allow this? At worst, you will simply need to get a copy at embarkation and fill it out there.

HAVANA "OVERNIGHT" - I also though we had two days in Havana but later realized we left at 2AM, not 2PM the next day which allows those who want to go to either the Tropicana or Cafe Parisienne cabaret shows on shore excursion to get back after midnight. I chose the Cafe Parisienne show at the famous Hotel National and can't say I would recommend it, but evening options are somewhat limited and this was easy to arrange. Others who expected to do things on their own found the long day of touring (8hour requirement) was too tiring and stayed on board - where they did have a very good Cuban musical group.

PRIVATE VS OFFICIAL TOURS - the biggest wild card of all. You know the Dept of Treasury regulations and are expected to abide by them. But once outside the Havana terminal it appeared one could do whatever they wanted to do - plenty of "old car" taxi's available to create your own tour. When this ever gets checked by Dept of Treasury 5 years later is the one unknown. But there was no other checking one way or the other about much of anything once one went through the perfunctory Cuban immigration in Havana.

HAL HAVANA TOURS - We did the Modern Havana and Classic Cars tour and it was okay - but it was not perfect and we were left wanting to see, do and learn so much more.

CIENFEUGOS TOURS - We did the Trinidad tour which allowed seeing a lot more of the country side and a the now tourist oriented historic town of Trinidad - others who stayed in Cienfuegos also reported having an interesting time. This port required you walk through a room that checked your temperature, so be aware if you pick up anything before you get to this stop. One unfortunate passenger was quarantined to her cabin on the Havana day due to a very short-term URI.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Overall, this is such a rapid paced intro to Cuba that there will be on one perfect way to do this. There is also no one easy way to describe the visit, other than putting the country in context with other Caribbean and Central American countries which often do things much worse and some do things much better. Cuba is an evolving social experiment that is as we speak hovering on fundamental change. The best thing is seeing it now, and then measure which direction it will soon be taking as it opens itself more to the outside world and a new generation takes over that has no history with its revolutionary origins.

My biggest regret was not taking more time to understand the architectural history of Havana - it both dazzles and confounds. There was a large pictorial book in the Veendam Library that I over looked until it was too late. Who, how and why did Havana get such a rich architectural infrastructure - how is this heritage getting allocated today, how much of its need for tourist dollars will restore it and when will Havana (Old Town) become more like Venice - a tourist "Disneyland" and no longer a living city.

If and when you find out, please let us know. :)

Sure will. But for now:

I called HAL today and they said that we have to fill out the affidavit, no need to notarize it, and bring it with us on embarkation. HAL will take care of it from then onwards. I asked which of the 12 points should we check off, she said check out " or cruise tourist" or P2P. ?????????? Relaying what I was told.

If the condition is to take a HAL excursion, I have no problem with it. We are not keen to go wandering around on our own.

In December we sailed on the Oceania Insignia round trip Miami to 3 ports in Cuba. Oceania handled the visa for us at a cost of $75 pp. I imagine that HAL will do the same but you have to check.. Oceania has a very thorough FAQ section on Cuba on their website. There are forms that you have to submit in advance but again, Oceania and our TA instructed us with the correct answers. When we disembarked at our first port we were given a paper to keep with us all the time. It was returned to Cuban authorities when we returned to the ship. They stamped our passports with a Cuban visa the first time we went through Cuban immigration in Havana, our first port.

As far as the Cuban government goes, you can do whatever you want. Take a ship's tour or private tour or just walk around yourself. Hire a 50's car and driver. Its all fine with them. The U.S. government on the hand, has supposedly put restrictions on what American citizens can and can't do. You are supposed to keep documentation of your visit for 5 years.

According to the U.S. government, you are not supposed to patronize any establishment that is owned by the Cuban government. But, even the 5 star international hotels are partially owned by the government. And the brand new tour buses built in China are owned by the government. As well as all the tourist stores where you can buy cigars and rum.

We anticipated a long line and interrogation at U.S. customs when we disembarked in Miami and so booked a later flight - just in case. Imagine our surprise when the customs agent took my passport ran it through the computer, and said "welcome home. You're good to go." It took all of 30 seconds and we were done. I could have had 500 cigars in my suitcase instead of 5! (the supposed limit is 100).

This was our first cruise on Oceania. We chose it primarily for the itinerary. Round trip Miami, an overnight in Havana and two other cities, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba. I think Oceania did a wonderful job, as far as they could, in preparing us for our visit. They had an excellent port guide, Sandy Cares. The first night of the cruise, there was no show, instead they had Sandy give a very informative preview lecture in the showroom and it was standing room only. She had a lecture almost every day.

For a variety of reasons, we only took the ship's tours and we were very satisfied. But other people on the ship booked private tours or negotiated with a car and driver right outside the pier.

Go!

Thank you so much for this very informative and encouraging post!

Have you seen this, on HAL's website? It's linked under the "Cuba" destinations section.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/eBrochures/destinations/Holland_America_Line_Guest_Q_A_for_Cuba.pdf

Thanks for posting the link. We had not looked since October so totally missed this info. Since our government has put on so many restrictions we would not go to Cuba via cruise. I posted elsewhere that we have some friends who are soon going to Cuba on a 15 day self trip. In order to pull this off (with US Passports) they are flying via Mexico and will spend their two weeks at a few different hotels and Airbnb places. They plan on hiring a car/driver (this may have already been done) and doing their own thing. Technically that is a violation of some USA Government regulations, but plenty of Americans have used this method to see Cuba...and they have been doing it for years.

Hank

Also just got back from the Veendam and would second most of OlsSalt's comments.

I too did the Old Cars and Modern Havana tour. The cars were fun, the city is amazing, lunch was good (open air restaurant in area of town with lots of 50's style homes.) The famous cemetery, just so-so unless you are a cemetery fanatic. There was no mention of a modern dance presentation in my description of the tour so that came as a lovely surprise (and a nap time for some of the guys on the tour).

The architecture is fantastic. The American influence on Cuba is still pervasive as our guide pointed out where Sears once had a store, the original AT&T building, the botanical garden in Cienfuegos was built by an American, etc.

Even though we had a sea day between ports, my husband chose to skip getting off in Cienfuegos (it's a tender port) because the long day and night in Havana was exhausting. We of course wanted to pack all we could into one day, who knows if we will make it back.

One suggestion I would make is to ask for smaller bills when exchanging your money-they tend to hand out mostly 20's which makes giving smaller tips difficult. We thought we'd have a chance to shop (and buy something to get change) but our visit to the art center ended up being a bathroom break. In fact that was a big disappointment (I can't believe I'm saying this) we literally had no major shopping time in Havana.

When the ship suggests you carry toilet paper and hand sanitizer with you-believe them-you won't want to be without it.

My daughters did a different shore excursion-Culinary Traditions of Cuba. If Holland would combine this with a ride in the old cars that would be a perfect excursion. As it was, my daughters had a wonderful time. They had a bus tour/walking tour first and then went to the Gran Teatro where they made mojitos and Cuba Libre's, watched their lunch being prepared, learned about and sampled rum and coffee. And apparently took up smoking! Just kidding, but they did learn about Cuban cigars and did light up.

In Cienfuegos we took the botanic garden tour which included a bus ride out of the city toward the mountains, an approximately 45 minute walk around the gardens, a stop at the city's main square, lunch at the Hotel Caribe, followed by a vocal concert (which was fantastic). One small negative comment about the lunch-they funneled all the tour buses to lunch at the same time which became overcrowded and chaotic. It was served as a buffet and included fruits, salads, rice, beans, grilled chicken, baked pumpkin, (other items as well but I quit after going part way through), bread and rolls and some desserts and included one drink. But it was difficult to see how the line was set up. One other note-our tour bus did not have a functioning bathroom and I heard about at least one other bus which lacked air-conditioning.

Like my first visit to any island, I appreciated having a ship shore excursion to show me what's available, how the city is set up. If I'm lucky enough to visit in the future I would do my own thing. The terminal is easy walking distance to the old part of Havana and well worth a more lengthy visit. The old cars are easily booked ahead of time or can be picked up as a taxi.

I do wish I had allowed more room in my suitcase for additional rum and coffee-that stuff gets heavy.

St. Louis Sal

We did that 2 yrs ago. We went with a Canadian tour company and just met them there. It was an awesome 10 day trip. We learned and saw so much. They did stamp our passports which we were a little worried about but there was nothing said when we came back to the states via Mexico. We spend a lot of time in Mexico and have many US friends that go to Cuba this way.

LOL...almost everything is owned by the Cuban government. How in the world would you even know who the owner was if you wanted to buy something.

That's the catch-22. The U.S. government says don't patronize any establishment owned by the government, but its ok to bring back up to 100 cigars. If asked, do you say they were gifts? IMO, nothing the U.S. government says or does in regard to Cuba makes any sense.

Thanks for posting the link. We had not looked since October so totally missed this info. Since our government has put on so many restrictions we would not go to Cuba via cruise. I posted elsewhere that we have some friends who are soon going to Cuba on a 15 day self trip. In order to pull this off (with US Passports) they are flying via Mexico and will spend their two weeks at a few different hotels and Airbnb places. They plan on hiring a car/driver (this may have already been done) and doing their own thing. Technically that is a violation of some USA Government regulations, but plenty of Americans have used this method to see Cuba...and they have been doing it for years.

Hank

There are many organized groups that do land tours to Cuba. Road Scholars is a popular one. Going this way you can fly directly from Miami.

When the ship suggests you carry toilet paper and hand sanitizer with you-believe them-you won't want to be without it.

St. Louis Sal

Definitely good advice. Toilet paper and soap in restrooms is scarce or non-existent. Our Oceania ship also repeatedly cautioned us about only drinking canned beverages without ice. It seems some passengers on the earlier cruises (we were the fourth cruise to do the same itinerary) were coming back to the ship with gastro-intestinal issues. I don't know if ice was truly the culprit, but it wasn't difficult to avoid it.

As a Canadian I have spent many vacations in Cuba. By far my favorited island. First in 1979 when there were restrictions but now you are a regular tourist. Wonderful people. So many places to visit and experiences you will not find elsewhere. Do not hesitate to go.

LOL...almost everything is owned by the Cuban government. How in the world would you even know who the owner was if you wanted to buy something.

I have the same question. ;) how does one know if th e small souvenier shop is owned by the people worrking there or r by the gov't?

I have the same question. ;) how does one know if th e small souvenier shop is owned by the people worrking there or r by the gov't?

Here is your official list from the official source: https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba/cubarestrictedlist/275331.htm

We did see tour buses from Gaviota so those were on the list - of those agencies claimed to be fronting the military which is the US interest in banning them.

One gets taken on the HAL tours to the central "craft market" where one can bargain or even barter for items. No receipts given so it would be hard to prove you bought any forbidden items one way or the other. There was a lot more paperwork smoke-screening going on that what appears to be real concerns about the US restrictions - but 5 years have not yet elapsed and I have not check my mail or phone messages for any Dept of Treasury demands for 15 minute interval proof of our activities.

Here is your official list from the official source: https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba/cubarestrictedlist/275331.htm

We did see tour buses from Gaviota so those were on the list - of those agencies claimed to be fronting the military which is the US interest in banning them.

One gets taken on the HAL tours to the central "craft market" where one can bargain or even barter for items. No receipts given so it would be hard to prove you bought any forbidden items one way or the other. There was a lot more paperwork smoke-screening going on that what appears to be real concerns about the US restrictions - but 5 years have not yet elapsed and I have not check my mail or phone messages for any Dept of Treasury demands for 15 minute interval proof of our activities.

It seems like a real pain to travel there!

Sail7Seas, as you requested, here is an update:

Today (two days after booking the cruise) I got an email form HAL explaining the required documents needed to cruise to Cuba and informing me about the affidavit with links to go fill it out before we get to the port.

Also just got back from the Veendam and would second most of OlsSalt's comments.

I too did the Old Cars and Modern Havana tour. The cars were fun, the city is amazing, lunch was good (open air restaurant in area of town with lots of 50's style homes.) The famous cemetery, just so-so unless you are a cemetery fanatic. There was no mention of a modern dance presentation in my description of the tour so that came as a lovely surprise (and a nap time for some of the guys on the tour).

The architecture is fantastic. The American influence on Cuba is still pervasive as our guide pointed out where Sears once had a store, the original AT&T building, the botanical garden in Cienfuegos was built by an American, etc.

Even though we had a sea day between ports, my husband chose to skip getting off in Cienfuegos (it's a tender port) because the long day and night in Havana was exhausting. We of course wanted to pack all we could into one day, who knows if we will make it back.

One suggestion I would make is to ask for smaller bills when exchanging your money-they tend to hand out mostly 20's which makes giving smaller tips difficult. We thought we'd have a chance to shop (and buy something to get change) but our visit to the art center ended up being a bathroom break. In fact that was a big disappointment (I can't believe I'm saying this) we literally had no major shopping time in Havana.

My daughters did a different shore excursion-Culinary Traditions of Cuba. If Holland would combine this with a ride in the old cars that would be a perfect excursion. As it was, my daughters had a wonderful time. They had a bus tour/walking tour first and then went to the Gran Teatro where they made mojitos and Cuba Libre's, watched their lunch being prepared, learned about and sampled rum and coffee. And apparently took up smoking! Just kidding, but they did learn about Cuban cigars and did light up.

In Cienfuegos we took the botanic garden tour which included a bus ride out of the city toward the mountains, an approximately 45 minute walk around the gardens, a stop at the city's main square, lunch at the Hotel Caribe, followed by a vocal concert (which was fantastic). One small negative comment about the lunch-they funneled all the tour buses to lunch at the same time which became overcrowded and chaotic. It was served as a buffet and included fruits, salads, rice, beans, grilled chicken, baked pumpkin, (other items as well but I quit after going part way through), bread and rolls and some desserts and included one drink. But it was difficult to see how the line was set up. One other note-our tour bus did not have a functioning bathroom and I heard about at least one other bus which lacked air-conditioning.

Like my first visit to any island, I appreciated having a ship shore excursion to show me what's available, how the city is set up. If I'm lucky enough to visit in the future I would do my own thing. The terminal is easy walking distance to the old part of Havana and well worth a more lengthy visit. The old cars are easily booked ahead of time or can be picked up as a taxi.

I do wish I had allowed more room in my suitcase for additional rum and coffee-that stuff gets heavy.

St. Louis Sal

Thank you for posting your experience.

I would love to do the culinary traditions tour as well. Did your daughters book it with the cruise line? Was it HAL?

That's the catch-22. The U.S. government says don't patronize any establishment owned by the government, but its ok to bring back up to 100 cigars. If asked, do you say they were gifts? IMO, nothing the U.S. government says or does in regard to Cuba makes any sense.

What about souvenirs such as a cookbook, mug or magnet or something small like that? Do I have to check if the vendor is not government sponsored? :confused::( this is a a lot of homework and treading on eggshells. I am having second thoughts about booking. But I do want to see it. I am so glad everyone is posting their experience here . Yayyy for Cruise Critic!