Chaos post cruise in Buenos Aires

wesport

It's Argentina. Now we all know and can be prepared. This city used to be the richest in South America; now it is rapidly sliding into third world chaos.

A very interesting city (and country which has it all) to try and understand. At one time there were only two branches of the exclusive Harrod's department store - one in London and the other in Buenos Aires. What happened? There in hangs the tale.

What a terrible way to end a cruise because that route is a winner and BsAs used to be a wonderful city.

Did you forgdt to finish your story about B.A's Harod's or you decided to make us ask if we want to know what happened? would be great if you choose to finish your story .

Here is a google link Not tha t interesting

arrods Buenos Aires - Wander Argentina

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks for this timely post. I'll be in BA at the beginning and end of my 12-night "Colors of Brazil" cruise this February. Forewarned is forearmed, I suppose. And I was worried about Rio!

I think I’m getting on when you get off. There is some good information here. I was not in love with the city when I was there 5 years ago, and will be quite happy to be aboard the ship, after embarkation.

About 5 years back there was a series on local cable about scams. The host went under cover and filmed several common scams in various cities. They had one segment on BsAs. It included a look at the counterfeiting, and caught a cabbie doing a switch with bills. Is what he didn’t know was the host was filming, and had taken a picture of the serial number of the bill he gave to the driver. When the driver said “Falso” he showed him the picture of the bill he gave him: obviously not the same serial number. Once confronted, the cabbie agreed to a most interesting interview.

We had a similar problem a few years back when we disembarked the Veendam.

Folks fighting for luggage carts as there were not enough of them. Long taxi lines and general chaos.

Sounds like some things never change!

When I got off that day that big group that was aboard was still debarking, and many of the members just stopped in the middle of the sidewalk :oto wait to board their waiting busses. (Those we’re the busses in front). Our busses (HAL) we’re parked a ways away. But people were not moving aside, so the rest of us couldn’t get through.:(

I don’t feel so bad for getting green slime squirted at me.

Hi there wesport. We were on the same Zaandam cruise as you, though never met. I agree, we were so lucky to have two glorious sunny days in Antarctica (as well as the two foggy but atmospheric ones). Not to mention that we made it into the Falklands and Puerto Madryn, two ports often missed - and which we we missed on a 2006 Celebrity South American cruise (which did not include an the Antarctica Experience.) Sorry to hear about your taxi and slime experiences in BA.

I am chiming in here about our experience with the HAL transfer as people have been recommending that as an alternative to getting a taxi. After our 2006 Celebrity cruise we took a cab to our hotel. Had been warned back then that the port taxi situation was chaotic - and it was - but no doubt has got worse.

Anyway, the HAL transfer we booked was "BA Highlights with Airport Transfer" at $AUD 79.95 per person. Tour length was 4 ½ hours with a tour start time of 8.15 am. We were in the first scheduled group off the ship with our assigned departure time 7.45am. At that time the lines to exit were not too bad and the tour started pretty much on time. This tour is only available to those with flights departing after 5pm. We would have preferred the tango tour with lunch but it is only offered to those whose flights leave after 7 or 8pm and our flight was at 6.20pm. The Highlights tour does a scenic overview of the city and then two stops, one at Recoleta Cemetery and one at La Boca. The guide was engaging and we have no complaints about the tour. A couple of comments on our transfer experience which might be useful to other travellers.

Firstly, we were concerned that because it was a disembarkation tour we would have all our valuables (some fragile) with us in hand luggage. Destination Services on board Zaandam reassured us that the bus would be locked and under the supervision of the driver at both sightseeing stops. (They also reassured me that there would be space in the overhead storage for our hand luggage as it would be a big bus - and indeed there was space. We sure didn't want to nurse our cabin bags on our laps for 4 ½ hours if they couldn't fit overhead.). However, arriving at the first sightseeing stop the guide said that we should take our valuables with us or put them in the under bus storage. People reacted with some dismay so I pointed out to the guide that I had raised this very issue on board Zaandam and had been reassured by Destination Services that our hand luggage could be locked securely inside the bus under the supervision of the driver. The guide said that it wasn't usual practice but that she would make an exception. Maybe I will communicate with HAL when I have recovered from jet lag and point out that it is very important that on the on-board information given out isin line with what their tour contractors are doing, especially with something as important as a transfer tour. Clearly most passengers would have fragile items in hand luggage and not want to put them under the bus with possibility of damage ensuing. (I did not count numbers on the transfer but estimate probably thirty people with all their many bags.)

Secondly, our transfer tour dropped us at the airport at 1.15 pm. BA International Airport is one of those airports where you cannot check in until three hours before your flight departs whatever class you are flying in. The business class lounges are on the other side of immigration and security. There is very limited seating available for those waiting to check in and we walked up and down and stood around for a while before we found some where to sit. Once the check-in was open we were processed quickly as there was no business class line, but it still took us over an hour to go through the customs/immigration process which means standing in lines in a hot stuffy area. From what I heard from another passenger - if travelling in economy class you could add an additional hour to this for the economy class check-in process. This might be the usual situation or it might be worse because it is SA summer holiday time.

We are unlikely to fly to South America again. Not that it isn't lovely, but we are not young and the long flights from Australia are increasingly difficult for us. We had something like 36 hours of travel to get home with connections in Santiago and Auckland as well as waiting time atairports and a long drive from our final destination in Australia back to our home. If we were doing it again I would not take a cruise line transfer but would adopt our usual procedure of a night or two at a hotel post-cruise and then arrange an airport taxi through the hotel. An early start from the ship is never relaxing, and a tour before arrival at the airport we found to be quite tiring, especially as it was hot.

But that's travel - we always forget the discomforts a week later and start planning the next trip. Travel is always worth it.

We would have preferred the tango tour with lunch but it is only offered to those whose flights leave after 7 or 8pm and our flight was at 6.20pm.

Thanks for mentioning this tour/transfer, as I'm now booked. It's not cheap, but it is 8 hours and includes lunch and a tango show that has positive reviews. The HAL description now says only passengers with flights after 20:30 should book the tour; fortunately my flight is at 22:05. Wish me luck!

Good point about not being able to check in at the airport. Our flight was at 9:30pm, and we got there at around 4:30. Luckily they started checkin at 5:30. Absolutely no where to sit at the airport.

Wow, long time to wait. Yes, pretty bad wasn't it. There was some additional seating upstairs (for anyone else reading this) but you cannot go in the lifts with a trolley. If you have only one bag each ( which would be us, normally) then that would be an option.

Thanks for mentioning this tour/transfer, as I'm now booked. It's not cheap, but it is 8 hours and includes lunch and a tango show that has positive reviews. The HAL description now says only passengers with flights after 20:30 should book the tour; fortunately my flight is at 22:05. Wish me luck!

I couldn't remember what the cut-off time was, ie whether 7 pm or 8 pm, but knew our flight was too early.

I think you should enjoy the lunch & tango tour if it is anything like the dinner & tango show we did back in 2006 from the ship. It's never easy with late flights which is why we thought we would try a different approach with a disembarkation transfer/tour. Decided it isn't for us - but might have been when we were younger...:D

I did that transfer in 2013. The tour was good. We went to the main tourist places in BsAs (Recoleta, La Boca, past the soccer stadiums, etc.) Got a good overview and guide was excellent. The food was excellent, but way more than I wanted. We had just done Parilla at the Gaucho lunch the previous day, and I wasn’t ready to see any more meat. The dulce de leche dessert (with incredible coffee) was the best. The show was really good. It was a history of tango, and the costuming was superb. (Historical costumer here).

I did that transfer in 2013. The tour was good. We went to the main tourist places in BsAs (Recoleta, La Boca, past the soccer stadiums, etc.) Got a good overview and guide was excellent. The food was excellent, but way more than I wanted. We had just done Parilla at the Gaucho lunch the previous day, and I wasn’t ready to see any more meat. The dulce de leche dessert (with incredible coffee) was the best. The show was really good. It was a history of tango, and the costuming was superb. (Historical costumer here).

Thanks for the encouraging review!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Unfortunate. We were five days in Buenos Aires last Feb. . Never had an issue. We walked all over town, used public transportation and cabs extensively.

The only warnings we read about in tripadvisor were changing money on the street, pick pockets, and the taxi issue at the three ferry docks and the cruise dock.

Since the change in administration a couple of years ago allowed the Argentine Peso to float a few years ago there is no advantage to black market currency exchange (the blue peso system). The commercial exchange rate is pretty much the same as one can get in the black market. So no reason to take the risk.

Let me add my own Buenos Aires cab nightmare experience - it was one of their alleged specially-marked "safe" taxis, but it was late and I hailed it from a known tourist area restaurant. The driver took my money and then "returned" it to me saying it was counterfeit.

Then I gave him another bill and the same thing happened - falso - he kept repeating as he "returned" my bills to em. Finally I gave him some US dollars, ran from the cab to my hotel and said this is the last you are getting. I complained to my hotel who had exchanged my bills for smaller "counterfeit" denomination, to the bank where I had gotten the original money from their ATM - all claiming total innocence about giving me "false" currencies.

I also took the problem to the touriist office who had me file a police report and turn over all my returned "false" notes. In daylight they were obvious counterfiets, but under the circumstances and in the light of the "safe" cab I could not see this. Plus I had let my guard down since I had spent a prior wonderful week in this beautiful city.

Later I learned on a BsAs travel blog this was a standard "bait and switch" tactic. The cab driver was not returning my bills, but switching them for fake ones he already had. I was out almost $100 before I decided enough was enough and ran from the cab,. The real laugh is this all took place just around the corner block from the downtown police station, where I was later asked to file my crime report. And at the front steps of my hotel. I should have also asked the hotel to come out and intervene after the "return" of the first "false" note, but it was too late by then.

Since this happened to me also when the prices in BsAs were so cheap, after their last major devaluation I accepted this was a mutual scam - I came to take advantage of their newly cheapened economy (and it was great) and they found a way to get even with me.

A later return to this city after our own HAL cruise revealed the city that was so fascinating for me earlier, had become greatly degraded which a very sad state of affairs for a city that had so much going for it only few years prior. So don't cry for me Argentina, but I do weep for you and what you still could be. I was only out $100 but you are losing your past, your beauty and your future.

Whenever I get into a taxi I always snap a picture of the license plate and the driver. I have never had a problem during or after a ride. I have refused a taxi when the driver did not match the license picture. I also had one driver decline my business after he saw me taking a picture of the cab. But never a problem with over charges. In BA I only took cabs that were from one of the metered cab companies and where the driver matched the displayed license.

Whenever I get into a taxi I always snap a picture of the license plate and the driver. I have never had a problem during or after a ride. I have refused a taxi when the driver did not match the license picture. I also had one driver decline my business after he saw me taking a picture of the cab. But never a problem with over charges. In BA I only took cabs that were from one of the metered cab companies and where the driver matched the displayed license.

Where does one look to find the cabbies picture?

We were also in that mess waiting to leave the cruiseport in Buenos Aires after the Zaandam. I fault HAL for not having ground people there to assist, if only to reassure. We had purchased the Waterways EXC airport transfer and stood waiting for the HAL bus for almost 2 hours outside without knowing what was going on. Finally someone told us it was the traffic backup. (We had a similar mob scene last year in the Civitavecchia port where HAL just dumped us to fight for shuttle-buses, after assuring passengers there would be wheelchairs and help for those who needed it.)

That being said, we really enjoyed the Waterways tour, to see a different side of BA. Well worth the money we thought for an airport transfer and chew up some time. And yes we had had the same problems with not being able to check in at EZE airport until 3 hours before our late-night flight. It was a l-o-n-g day.

We did a couple of days post cruise in BA in 2015. Since we were getting off the ship in the early morning we did the Hotel Transfer/Tango Show to kill time before Hotel Check-In. The had a couple of buses and divided us up into the Hotel Group and Airport Group. The Tango Show was really good and so was lunch. Very large portions and good steak too! We left most of our stuff with the bus and only took my backpack with the essential (Passports, cash, jewelry, etc.) into the show.

We were also in that mess waiting to leave the cruiseport in Buenos Aires after the Zaandam. I fault HAL for not having ground people there to assist, if only to reassure. We had purchased the Waterways EXC airport transfer and stood waiting for the HAL bus for almost 2 hours outside without knowing what was going on. Finally someone told us it was the traffic backup. (We had a similar mob scene last year in the Civitavecchia port where HAL just dumped us to fight for shuttle-buses, after assuring passengers there would be wheelchairs and help for those who needed it.)

That being said, we really enjoyed the Waterways tour, to see a different side of BA. Well worth the money we thought for an airport transfer and chew up some time. And yes we had had the same problems with not being able to check in at EZE airport until 3 hours before our late-night flight. It was a l-o-n-g day.

This was my experience as well and I, also, did enjoy the Waterways tour. Our guide was excellent (she was the one doing the commentary on the riverboat).

There were HAL ground representatives on duty, but given the numbers of guests awaiting HAL transfers and the chaotic condition that existed, not enough of them.

The Buenos Aires Cruise Terminal is not large enough to handle so many people at one time. Our tour guide admitted this to us on our bus. Since it has been built in some type of historical preservation area, it's difficult or impossible to enlarge it. And, since their cruise season is only 4 months long, their government sees the expenditure of money to do so as unnecessary.

Chipping in here, we also were on the recent Zaandam cruise. On our first day in BA we had a HAL lunch-time tour booked and were told to meet at the terminal info desk. We arrived into an absolute mob scene, as a huge MSC ship was debarking/embarking their passengers. On top of that it was pouring rain outside, and everyone tried to squeeze into shelter. Fortunately after locating our tour guide everything went well.

On our last day we had booked the airport/hotel transfer city tour. When we left the ship at 7.45 it wasn‘t too crowded. However, after clearing customs it again got very chaotic, as a Norwegian ship was also debarking at the same time. Our tour had three buses. Since we needed the hotel Transfer, we asked which bus to take, and were told all three buses would first go to the Brick Hotel and then airport. Unfortunately our guide on the bus had different info, and told us we would have to change busses at the La Boca stop. He tried to offload us and all of our luggage at the stop and told us we would have to wait there for about 20 minutes for the other bus to show up. This, after just having told everyone not to stray too far afield as it was „not safe“. We refused, and he finally agreed to drop us off at the hotel in our bus - which wasn‘t far from the Recoleta stop at all, so no big detour.

Long story short, we had an amazing cruise, but didn‘t enjoy BA as much as we thought we would. Shoreside and communications-wise, HAL could have done a better job looking after debarking passengers. While it is not their fault that the BA cruise terminal is currently dealing with major construction work around the area, plus several ships per day on- and offloading passengers, they need to ensure that debarkation runs more smoothly and definitely need more staff shoreside.

I also think HAL could have at least advised us of what to expect upon disembarkation. If we just knew to walk away from the port to get a cab. The captain did give a letter about pick pockets, which was a good warning. When I asked the port guide about a cab to the Hilton, she said it would be around 10 dollars as is was very close. So, imagine when the taxi dispatcher demanded thirty us dollars for a cab. We were a captive audience, so we gave it to him as he stuffed the cash in a bag with thousands of dollars in it. Crazy. The Norwegian cruise being there didn't help. We didn't let it ruin anything. It was a wonderful cruise with several amazing days in Antarctica that we will never forget.

We were also on the Zaandam and disembarked as independent travellers. We came out at I think it was Gate 1, and we needed to get to Gate 13 for our private tour and airport transfer. There was a very large crowd of people milling around the buses and blocking the footpaths which made it difficult for us to pass. Perhaps we should have exited to the street and then made our way outside the port fence to Gate 13. We chose a private tour and transfer as our flight to Iguazu Falls was about 3.30pm from AEP, so much too early for any HAL options. We had a driver and a guide. The vehicle was actually a taxi and the driver stayed with his car (and our luggage!) each time we got our with our guide to see various sights. We paid a premium price for the service (US$240 for the two of us) but it was well worth it for both the tour and the peace of mind. For those interested, we purchased this service through BuenosTours and can definitely recommend them. We also used them for a full day walking tour the previous day, including transfer to a meeting point with our guide, and a return to the ship. Saved the hassle of using local taxis.

Where does one look to find the cabbies picture?

In BA the licensed cab companies, with meters, display the drivers picture on his license in a holder on the back of the drivers set. Very similar to most US cab companies.