Oasis of the seas central park balconies

Polperro

On 9/11/2021 at 9:54 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I have no use to look down at Central Park. I would certainly like the fresh air on an outside balcony and enjoy the sun during the day and the sky in the evening and hear the ocean waves. If I want to see Central Park I will just go and see it.

Now we only book Crown Loft suites on the Oasis class ships.  Unfortunately, the sun isn't my DH's friend  He has had multiple basal cell lesions on his face, arms, legs and feet.  He even had a small melanoma on his nose- it was a big deal to remove, and required plastic surgery, but he is 100% cured.  He visits his dematologist every  3 months to check for any issues.  Therefore,  we avoid the sun- like poison now.  We both wear sun screen all year round.  Enjoy the beach and pools, but you will find us in the shade!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, John&LaLa said:

I've found in several instances that when applying a balcony discount, CP balconies are cheaper than inside cabins

That's right! I've not gotten it cheaper for myself but I did see that when pricing cruises! When we've booked, the pricing was always about $100 or less than an interior (with the balcony discount) total for the cabin.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, Cruise a holic said:

Therefore,  we avoid the sun- like poison now.  We both wear sun screen all year round.  Enjoy the beach and pools, but you will find us in the shade!

Just wanted to clarify that I "liked" this part of your post, not the part about DH's cancer issues!

As a redhead, I'm another one who seeks out the shade.  I even wear long sleeve swimshirts and full-length leggings when swimming/snorkeling.  As a solo cruiser, it's the only way to ensure proper coverage on areas I can't reach (plus it's reef-friendly to boot).  

On 9/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, 2chiefs said:

Agreed. Seaing (spelled wrong on purpose) the ocean from our room is not special for us for instance. CP cabins have the advantage of costing very little more than an inside cabin and getting fresh air when needed. Watching people strolling in CP is more interesting (to us) than watching an ocean with no activity on it. We spend little time in our cabins anyway. 

I actually had a hard time deciding between CP and OV balconies.... what made the cut was that a) we don't quite live on the ocean and b) I'm not sure about the privacy issues of having another balcony cabin right across the ship.  In the long run, DH being retired Navy (as it appears you are as well), made the ocean view balcony win out, however since this will be our first Oasis class sailing we are really flying blind lol.

12 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I actually had a hard time deciding between CP and OV balconies.... what made the cut was that a) we don't quite live on the ocean and b) I'm not sure about the privacy issues of having another balcony cabin right across the ship.  In the long run, DH being retired Navy (as it appears you are as well), made the ocean view balcony win out, however since this will be our first Oasis class sailing we are really flying blind lol.

I think you will like the Oasis regardless of cabin. As big as the ship is, it really doesn't seem crowded (except on embarkation day)..

Yes, we are both retired Navy. Me in 1988 and Sallie in 1995.

Cheers

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

I think you will like the Oasis regardless of cabin. As big as the ship is, it really doesn't seem crowded (except on embarkation day)..

Yes, we are both retired Navy. Me in 1988 and Sallie in 1995.

Cheers

It is always nice to meet Navy retirees. DH retired in 2007 from the Reserves... before that he was active duty in the 80's on the USS Iowa and port services in Sardinia, then they activated him for the Iraq war in 2005.  He was always worried that he would hate cruising because of his Navy career, then our first cruise on Enchantment OTS in 2007 had us both hooked.  Now years later my SIL is interested in a military career and we are both quietly and subtly encouraging him toward the Navy lol.

As for the Oasis, I am really looking forward to it next month... RCL and Celebrity serve the northeast so much better than our familiar line Princess, and I figured if we are going to sail 2021when things are so tenuous, its better not to worry about flights. Hope to catch up with you some time in the future.

Edited by vjmatty

On 9/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, vjmatty said:

It is always nice to meet Navy retirees. DH retired in 2007 from the Reserves... before that he was active duty in the 80's on the USS Iowa and port services in Sardinia, then they activated him for the Iraq war in 2005.  He was always worried that he would hate cruising because of his Navy career, then our first cruise on Enchantment OTS in 2007 had us both hooked.  Now years later my SIL is interested in a military career and we are both quietly and subtly encouraging him toward the Navy lol.

As for the Oasis, I am really looking forward to it next month... RCL and Celebrity serve the northeast so much better than our familiar line Princess, and I figured if we are going to sail 2021when things are so tenuous, its better not to worry about flights. Hope to catch up with you some time in the future.

I was stationed in Sardinia for two years, 1976 - 1978.

I was with the Sub Squadron there (I'm a non-submariner however) aboard the USS Piedmont which was a sub repair ship moored at the NATO sub base on an island just off Palau, Sardinia

I lived on the island of LaMaddalena and had to ride a boat to work every morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

I was stationed in Sardinia for two years, 1976 - 1978.

I was with the Sub Squadron there (I'm a non-submariner however) aboard the USS Piedmont which was a sub repair ship moored at the NATO sub base on an island just off Palau, Sardinia

I lived on the island of LaMaddalena and had to ride a boat to work every morning.

DH also lived in La Maddelena, working port services running a ferry and after that (or maybe before, I get dates mixed up lol) was also on a sub tender, the Orion. This was 84-86 I believe. Hopefully we’ll share a cruise some day and you two can compare funny stories. He has many 😉

When looking at deck plans for the Oasis class ships, deck 14 housekeeping rooms do not appear to line up with housekeeping on other decks. Has anyone stayed on deck 12 under the white area on deck 14?

I'm wondering if there will be carts ,etc. noise overhead early in the morning.