Kids at Dinner

KoSaRFaN19

Another thing to consider is the temperature. I saw two boys with their family in the dining room on the Splendor in April. They were wearing shorts and were both trying to use their napkins as blankets to keep warm. If it is too cool for your sons, they may want to wear pants instead. If they wear the same pants every evening, no one will notice (unless they get a big steak sauce or chocolate melting cake stain the first night :p). The first night dining is relaxed dress and a good opportunity to check out temperature, layout, etc. Quite honestly, if I did not see them shivering and wrapping napkins around their legs I doubt I would have even noticed they were wearing shorts. I like to dress for dinner but honestly don't notice what others wear unless it really stands out one way or the other.

On the lido buffet? Yes. But not in the MDR. It's not McDonalds. It's a DINING room.

There is a difference between dining and eating. A great learning opportunity.

It's fine for your daughter but not your son? What, it is okay to differentiate between the sexes regarding what behavior is acceptable and what's not?

You beat me to the punch as I was going to reiterate the same thoughts .

Instead of teaching our children the way to dress for going to Golden Corral, why don’t we teach a little class instead. Teach them that when they get older, there will be events that require some level of dress up. I’d hate to see some of these kids in their 20’s and 30’s going to a formal dinner in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You beat me to the punch as I was going to reiterate the same thoughts .

Instead of teaching our children the way to dress for going to Golden Corral, why don’t we teach a little class instead. Teach them that when they get older, there will be events that require some level of dress up. I’d hate to see some of these kids in their 20’s and 30’s going to a formal dinner in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

ding ding ding and the award for biggest ******** (fill in the blank) goes to these two^^^^^^ Seriously get a life OP just asked a question, no need to try and try and pump yourself up as the CC dining divas LMFAO how sad your life must be

On the lido buffet? Yes. But not in the MDR. It's not McDonalds. It's a DINING room.

There is a difference between dining and eating. A great learning opportunity.

It's fine for your daughter but not your son? What, it is okay to differentiate between the sexes regarding what behavior is acceptable and what's not?

Maybe the kids can learn how to dance on the tables too. Nothing says fine dining like people dancing on the furniture:eek:

Bill

Bill

ding ding ding and the award for biggest ******** (fill in the blank) goes to these two^^^^^^ Seriously get a life OP just asked a question, no need to try and try and pump yourself up as the CC dining divas LMFAO how sad your life must be

Thank you cousin Eddie for that eloquent comeback. I was simply rendering my opinion, not pumping myself up. Sorry to try to bring in a little class to this subject. Please go back to what you were doing and get another helping of potato salad at the Golden Corral buffet (a little more of the yellow stuff, and don’t get cheap on me)

Just a small pet peeve of mine, its a dining room. A dining hall is what a college cafeteria is called. The dining room is more like a banquet facility.

I think this is a good description and understanding that has helped me adjust my expectations. I expect to dress in wedding or funeral level attire for most banquet hall events (not super casual, but also not full formal). I also expect good, but not great food - and I'm pleasantly surprised if catered food is at the right temperature.

I still don't get the servers dancing:rolleyes:, but I'm guessing some people enjoy it and it is only a few minutes of my dinner.

...why don’t we teach a little class instead. Teach them that when they get older, there will be events that require some level of dress up. I’d hate to see some of these kids in their 20’s and 30’s going to a formal dinner in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

I do agree that children should be taught some social and etiquette skills that may be useful as they become adults and find themselves in situations where they will put those skills to work.

However, what I don’t agree with is that a main dining room aboard a Carnival ship is the place to do so. In my humble opinion, the casual night experience on Carnival (as well as other mass market cruise lines) is at par with a night out at Chili’s or Applebee’s. Same type of atmosphere, cuisine and fellow diners. I wouldn’t dress my children up to go to these venues.

Seeing children in shorts at the main dining room on a Carnival ship shouldn’t be an indication that their parents aren’t teaching them valuable skills. Personally, I live in a community where my children participate in many social events where dress codes, social behavior and table manners are expected. Even at a young age (5 and 8), they’ve learned them. But I’ve also taught my kids that, there are places and situations when it’s OK to relax the rules. And casual night on a Carnival cruise is a place where I consider it perfectly acceptable to relax the dress code (although I’d still expect table manners and proper behavior).

But my point is that we shouldn’t wrongfully judge, or assume that a parent isn’t teaching their children “some class” or life skills simply because they chose to relax the dress code on a casual night aboard a budget cruise ship.

Thank you cousin Eddie for that eloquent comeback. I was simply rendering my opinion, not pumping myself up. Sorry to try to bring in a little class to this subject. Please go back to what you were doing and get another helping of potato salad at the Golden Corral buffet (a little more of the yellow stuff, and don’t get cheap on me)

Oh I personally prefer stuff like veal Piccata or Marsala, but keep fooling yourself you are somehow superior to others due to your vast cruising experience. Like I said how sad and pathetic you make yourself look attacking people over a simple question.

So we can debate all day on this topic but how about this.....simply follow the rules Carnival puts into place. The sad thing is Carnival does not enforce them. If they wont enforce them then simply eliminate them. No need to teach anyone how to dress, how about teach them to follow the rules

If they wont enforce them then simply eliminate them.

I don’t necessarily believe in eliminating the rules, but I do believe in adjusting them so that they are better aligned with the type of cruise experience that Carnival delivers. I believe that a big reason why there’s such a resistance against the dress code, even the more relaxed and casual one that’s been introduced over the last few years, is simply because it doesn’t match the dining experience. If Carnival continues relaxing and making the overall experience more casual, the dress code should continue evolving with it as well.

I don’t believe that a dress code should be eliminated altogether simply because there are some elements that should be followed for hygienic reasons and as a consideration to fellow cruisers. Lack of shoes, poor hygiene, tank tops with hairy sweaty armpits exposed, wet bathing suits, or exposed bare bottoms / g strings on seats should never be allowed. But even though these things may seem like common sense to many, they may not be for a lot of people who may need it in writing, maybe on a sign right at the entrance to all dining venues.

My Grandkids were into only wearing athletic shorts, running pants, NIKE everything. The best thing that ever happened was a change in the school dress code. They can't wear that stuff to school anymore and shirts must have a collar and have to be tucked in and if there are belt loops, they have to wear a belt. Now the athletic wear is only for after school play and weekends. The griped a lot, but they got over it! My son did not have to invest in any new clothes for the cruise because their school clothes were perfect for the MDR.

I do agree that children should be taught some social and etiquette skills that may be useful as they become adults and find themselves in situations where they will put those skills to work.

However, what I don’t agree with is that a main dining room aboard a Carnival ship is the place to do so. In my humble opinion, the casual night experience on Carnival (as well as other mass market cruise lines) is at par with a night out at Chili’s or Applebee’s. Same type of atmosphere, cuisine and fellow diners. I wouldn’t dress my children up to go to these venues.

Seeing children in shorts at the main dining room on a Carnival ship shouldn’t be an indication that their parents aren’t teaching them valuable skills. Personally, I live in a community where my children participate in many social events where dress codes, social behavior and table manners are expected. Even at a young age (5 and 8), they’ve learned them. But I’ve also taught my kids that, there are places and situations when it’s OK to relax the rules. And casual night on a Carnival cruise is a place where I consider it perfectly acceptable to relax the dress code (although I’d still expect table manners and proper behavior).

But my point is that we shouldn’t wrongfully judge, or assume that a parent isn’t teaching their children “some class” or life skills simply because they chose to relax the dress code on a casual night aboard a budget cruise ship.

Well said! I couldn't agree more about the "Chili's" atmosphere. Another thing to consider (in ALL cases) would be that people, in general, are more concerned about themselves and their own appearance to really take notice of anyone else....and if they do, well then...that's a bit sad for them. They should enjoy their vacation without judging others. I have a 10-year-old son who actually loves to get dressed up and go to the 2-hour dinner. He dresses better than I do, that's for sure. Kids are all so funny, cute and unique in their own little ways. In certain circumstances, I feel like we should just let them be who they are.