Food Safety

LookinForSunshine

DW and I are traveling to Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Thomas in a few weeks. We've read that Barbados may have have issues due to a sewage problem. DW has experienced sickness in the past when traveling in Central America and is scared to eat off the ship. How have you all dealt with this issue when traveling to these areas?

I have thought that it might be a good idea not to eat off the ship in Barbados and maybe St Thomas because of the hurricane damage. I have felt that the other islands are generally safe but am looking for ways to reassure the wife. We will likely get a hepatitis A vaccine this weekend per CDC recommendations.

If you have personal concerns you can simply avoid eating off the ship. Personally, we have no problem eating in Barbados or anywhere in the Caribbean...but one should certainly use some good judgment as to where you eat.....just like at home.

Hank

I have thought that it might be a good idea not to eat off the ship in Barbados and maybe St Thomas because of the hurricane damage. I have felt that the other islands are generally safe but am looking for ways to reassure the wife. We will likely get a hepatitis A vaccine this weekend per CDC recommendations.

There was minimal damage on Barbados due to the hurricanes this past fall. We were in Barbados twice (Nov and Dec) and you would have to look very hard to find any damage. St Thomas and St Maarten are the two frequently visited islands that suffered the worst damage. Barbados is a major resort island (very popular with the Brits) with plenty of resorts (in all price ranges), all inclusives, etc. It is actually a pretty developed island (by Caribbean standards) and you can find all kinds of eating venues from world-class restaurants to the typical fast food joints.

Hank

I don't see Barbados being any different then other ports.

I would avoid certain items (only bottled water and no ice) and cooked foods and that included vegetables.

Even if places say the water is OK I just go with something bottled and I would get fizzy so you know it's the real thing.

And do some reading ahead of time about the restaurants. I find Trip Advisor at http://www.tripadvisor.com a great source.

Keith

I don't see Barbados being any different then other ports.

I would avoid certain items (only bottled water and no ice) and cooked foods and that included vegetables.

Even if places say the water is OK I just go with something bottled and I would get fizzy so you know it's the real thing.

And do some reading ahead of time about the restaurants. I find Trip Advisor at www.tripadvisor.com a great source.

Keith

Well, a quick google of the OP's concerns shows that the entire south shore of Barbados is basically an open running sewer along the streets. Not sure what the effect on drinking water sources or beaches are, but various governments have placed travel advisories there. Apparently, the waste water system is in a complete state of collapse, and it is being used as a political football, so no idea when it will be fixed.

Well, a quick google of the OP's concerns shows that the entire south shore of Barbados is basically an open running sewer along the streets. Not sure what the effect on drinking water sources or beaches are, but various governments have placed travel advisories there. Apparently, the waste water system is in a complete state of collapse, and it is being used as a political football, so no idea when it will be fixed.

Yes, I would not be eating in those areas impacted such as the south side.

Keith

Yes, but the initial shot is the main one and the other is just a booster.From what I've read getting the first at least a couple weeks out provides enough protection.

Yes, it will provide some protection. Consider adding Hep B, though this also is a series of shots. As far as I can see, only Barbados currently has a problem.

Yes, but the initial shot is the main one and the other is just a booster.From what I've read getting the first at least a couple weeks out provides enough protection.

Umm, no and no.

About 85% (IIR) get some immunity from the first shot. But not likely in a few weeks.