Why would a cruise consultant try to talk to me out of a Haven booking?

NoMoreRain

I've been talking to one of the NCL cruise consultants about a booking in January 2019.

It's my wife and I, adult daughter and 15 y/o son going on the cruise. We are torn between booking a 2 bedroom Haven suite or booking two mini-suites. Of course the cost for the Haven is more but the perks are appealing.

I had some questions so I contacted our NCL cruise rep and he has consistently told us how the two rooms would be so much better for the kids than the Haven. He's sent me all kinds of info on booking two mini suites but if I bring up the Haven he will say things like:

The Haven is a wonderful experience, however, given the logistics and cost of the Haven I would recommend two separate state rooms.

I have no idea what he means by logistics? :confused:

Is it more beneficial for him to book two suites than one Haven? I get that I can just book whatever I wanted online..just seemed strange. Not to mention the fact that according to them, the kids would get the Latitude rewards points on the second room instead of me!

According to my PCC they get commission on the cost of the sale not the amount of cabins sold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would also consider the two minis instead of the Haven 2 bedroom in op’s situation.

Just the perks would be much for me. In Haven only guests 1-2 would get the perks. In two minis all passengers would get for example the beverage package + dining package. Not so in the Haven. Even when the second child is underage (=no booze) i’d still see this as high value.

2. The second bedroom on the Haven suite is smaaaaaaal. I mean really small. So either it’s two big kids very cramped on the second bedroom or it’s one kid in the second bedroom and the second kid in the livingroom sofa with mom and dad losing part of their privacy (master bedroom very close to livingroom and the door is just a sliding door).

So in my opinion with this logistics (= amount of people and their ages) the two minis would make very much sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, the second bedroom is so small that it really is only suitable for small children; not adults. The OP wants to book the Haven hoping for a 3rd/4th free promotion for this sailing, which they could pick up later. As for why the PCC said what he said, the OP should have asked him to explain, not a bunch of people who can only guess.

Yes, the second bedroom is so small that it really is only suitable for small children; not adults. The OP wants to book the Haven hoping for a 3rd/4th free promotion for this sailing, which they could pick up later. As for why the PCC said what he said, the OP should have asked him to explain, not a bunch of people who can only guess.

I have to disagree that the second bedroom is only for small children. Yes, it is small, the room is almost completely taken up by the couch when it is made into a double bed. We get around this by having one child sleep on the bunk, one on the sofa. My children are 13 and 10, the oldest is as big as I am and is perfectly comfortable sleeping in the second bedroom. The bathroom for the second bedroom is also small, but similar to what you find in a balcony cabin.

The big difference space-wise in my opinion has to do with the living area. The second bedroom has no space to sit and watch tv, unless you’re sitting on a bed. In the mini suite, you could be sitting on a couch. However, the suite perks are well worth the extra cost, which in most cases isn’t all that much when looking at the overall costs.

Unless the perks of UBP, dining etc are needed for each person, I don’t see why people would book two mini suites. We book Canada at par, so no perks for anyone here :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2 both over 18 daughters had no problem sharing the 2nd bedroom. The size is fine as they only need the space for sleeping as you also have the living area.

We have sailed in Mini Suites and the Haven 2 BR suites. We loved the haven I have to agree with your CC. The second BR is little more than a large walk-in closet. It is marginal for teenager and too small for an adult and a teen. It would work if the adult slept in the convertible bed in the main living area and you used the 2nd BR for the 15 year old. the second bathroom would work fine and the steward will make-up and turn-down the convertible bed for you daily. It sounds too me like your CC is trying to give you sound advice.

We sailed on the Epic in December in a 2br Haven suite. There were 6 people all adults. My husband and I took our son and daughter in law both (30); They slept in the small 2nd bedroom. Our son (25) slept on the couch in the living room and our son (21) slept on the mattress from the bunk bed on the floor in the living room. Our room steward was great about setting the bed up on the floor and just leaving it on the floor for us like we asked. We just pushed the table and chairs out of the way and had plenty of sleeping space for all 6 of us. We have a very large family so maybe we are just use to sharing space, but no one complained even one time about the lack of space or sharing two bathrooms. If I were to ask them again about sharing a 2 bedroom Haven suite I know they would jump at it in a second. We all loved the ability to join the craziness of the large ship but we also loved the quiet and exceptional service we received in the Haven. If you decide to go for 2 cabins I would forget the mini suite and just book 2 balcony rooms.

Just love reading about the issues and how people think that the Haven is the best...I'm sure it is and I'm glad you have the money to take your family on a great vacation. But it's just a room and while there are extra benefits I've heard there is so much more to life than the Haven. I'll totally go with anyone if they have the extra money however lol....until then inside room here we come!

Just love reading about the issues and how people think that the Haven is the best...I'm sure it is and I'm glad you have the money to take your family on a great vacation. But it's just a room and while there are extra benefits I've heard there is so much more to life than the Haven. I'll totally go with anyone if they have the extra money however lol....until then inside room here we come!

You’re very right, there is so much more to life than the Haven. However, for me, it’s the only way I would enjoy a mega ship. I don’t like huge crowds or long lines. The benefits of the Haven are what made my vacation an actual vacation!

I have to disagree that the second bedroom is only for small children. Yes, it is small, the room is almost completely taken up by the couch when it is made into a double bed. We get around this by having one child sleep on the bunk, one on the sofa. My children are 13 and 10, the oldest is as big as I am and is perfectly comfortable sleeping in the second bedroom. The bathroom for the second bedroom is also small, but similar to what you find in a balcony cabin.

The big difference space-wise in my opinion has to do with the living area. The second bedroom has no space to sit and watch tv, unless you’re sitting on a bed. In the mini suite, you could be sitting on a couch. However, the suite perks are well worth the extra cost, which in most cases isn’t all that much when looking at the overall costs.

Unless the perks of UBP, dining etc are needed for each person, I don’t see why people would book two mini suites. We book Canada at par, so no perks for anyone here :)

Disagree all you want, but it isn't going to change my (and many others who say the same thing) opinion on the second bedroom. It is less space than an inside cabin.

My PCC recommended a mini-suite over the Haven for us as well. I loved the Haven on a cruise we took a few years ago, but this time I will be cruising with my mom & I didn't know that the beds in the Haven cannot be split. My PCC thought we would be more comfortable in a mini-suite, particularly on a port-intensive cruise. I was very surprised as I thought they would surely try to convince me otherwise! I do think the PCCs simply give their honest opinion of what would be best for each person's situation.

Does the small bedroom have a pull down bunk in addition to the sofa?

The second bedroom in the Haven 2 bedroom suite does have a pull down bunk. The sofa opens to a full size bed. The sofa in the living room also sleeps another person. The Haven experience is amazing. The only thing about the Haven is that only the first two people will get all the perks, I.e. UDP, UDP, wi-fi, etc. If you book 2 mini- suites, the first two people in each room will receive UBP and UDP and whatever other perks are offered. Now the decision is up to you .

We had an 18 year old girl and 14 year old boy share the second BR on GA last year. They’ve been parked in an inside before when we had a suite across the hall. They much preferred the 2BR, even though they referred to their space as a “shoebox” - not complaining - just in an honest way! Yes the room is itself is small but we all had a nice living space in the living area to spill out into. Plus, we all agreed the Haven Restaurant was a huge plus, along with the lounge area. We found it to be much better than the dining rooms, especially for breakfast (well, and for dinner.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

well, the second bedroom isnt a real bedroom in the 2 bedroom suite. its a pull out couch, decent for one adult (with an eggcrate on it). your 15 year old would then be in the same room with your adult daughter on a pull down or be out on a pull out sofa in the living room. with two mini suites, everyone would have a real bed. that's the only logic i can think of.

Disagree all you want, but it isn't going to change my (and many others who say the same thing) opinion on the second bedroom. It is less space than an inside cabin.

Just because I don’t agree with “you and many others” doesn’t mean I’m entitled to my opinion.

This is the whole point of cruise critic: for people to express their opinions. We love the two bedroom suite, it suits our family very well. I acknowledge it may not work for others.

It’s unfortunate that you insist on everyone having your opinion.

Technically No. Because the living room is actually continued "space" - very nice, usable space at that.

A 2BR depending on the ship will be about 540 square feet

2 - Balcony rooms will be in the 400-450 combined square feet range

A Balcony and an inside will be in the 350 - 400 combined square feet

we had a 2 bdr suite on the Dawn (no Haven) on a 14 day Canada New England cruise back in 2016 We had three adults and loved every minute of the room - even on a port intensive cruise. On this cruise the suite perks included priority C&I inspection in Bar Harbor followed by instant tendering to the mainland. It was nice to have separate rooms to nap and sleep in addition to the main living area. Having room service on sea days was also a nice treat. Prior to this cruise the same three of us shared a penthouse suite on the Pearl - that was very crowded esp in the bath area - the 2bdr suite has two bathrooms - although one of them is way nicer than the other. It did allow us to spread out. While the two mini suites would have the same sleeping arrangements there would not be the same amount of space for togetherness. I don't think the PCC has a hidden agenda, he may also have never cruised and is simply going on someone else's recommendation. I guess this is why I have a travel agent who also loves to cruise himself - he has been a wealth of help to me over the years.

Two mini-suites of course.

These poshy gimmicks (Haven, etc.) on cruise ships have the only real perk: an observation lounge with a buffet and bar. So if you want to waste some money on the Haven, go with the ship that has the lounge.

This simple: no lounge - no Haven.

Book two minis. That's way more practical and convenient. Save money and spend on specialty restaurants and/or the spa.

Enjoy your cruise!

The GA has no front observation lounge with a buffet and bar. There is an outside seating area starboard side on half of the front. The Haven restaurant serves sit down service or you can order off a limited menu by the small pool. The bar is behind the pool.

They do serve cookies and juices by the pool buffet style so I guess you get even less than what you were expecting.

After much debate, we decided to go ahead with two mini suites. I really wanted the Haven perks but wife felt that the separation of two cabins would probably be best for all. Now if it comes available to bid for an upgrade that's a different story!

I'm a little bummed but heck, it's hard not to have a good time on a cruise regardless of cabin so I'm not going to nitpick. I'll make sure to get Cruisenext certs and we will book a Haven for the next cruise just the two of us.

Thanks for the input all!

After much debate, we decided to go ahead with two mini suites. I really wanted the Haven perks but wife felt that the separation of two cabins would probably be best for all. Now if it comes available to bid for an upgrade that's a different story!

I'm a little bummed but heck, it's hard not to have a good time on a cruise regardless of cabin so I'm not going to nitpick. I'll make sure to get Cruisenext certs and we will book a Haven for the next cruise just the two of us.

Thanks for the input all!

You realize that you would have to bid for both rooms to be upgraded, right?