Upgrades/UpSells

Catalina56

How close to your sailing date, does Oceania start offering upgrades or up sells. We sail on February 16, 2018. Thanks

Is your sailing full? Obviously, if it is - no upsells.

If not, there may be offers made to fill the ship and accommodate possible guarantees.

Check with your TA or Oceania

Not all cruises offer upgrades or upsells.

Not all TA clients are offered either. There is a pecking order.

The world is not always fair or equal!

No more true words have ever been spoken.... 1. Book with a top O selling agents.who sell hundreds of cruise. they get offers to reward them and their clients...everything from free grats, extra OBC's even cruise discounts that are NOT published. or offered to others.. Good top agents are worth their weight in gold... Too, it helps if you have a history, through you agent of an on going history of frequent cruising on O. Top agents will want to reward their frequent customers too.

Booking direct or with Joe's travel agency who sells 10 cruises on O a year and will possibly never ever get a call...

2., when you book, have your agent put in the record you are open to up sell and give him the $$ you are willing to spend and for what categories. Up sale offers are given to your agent and you need to empower him to make decisions for you...

3. Up grades for nothing are an urban legend....it may only happen in RARE occasions.

Its all a game of different pics that you need to play to your advantage

Or as John Wayne said once" Life is tough, its even tougher if your stupid"

Our cruise departs Feb 13. We were offered upsells in late November and last week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Obviously your cruise was not selling very well. The more openings there are, the more and earlier offers there are for upsells.

Thus - no hard and fast rules as to whether or when they are offered. It depends on how full the cruise is.

there are 2 other sort of upgrade and that is what I call the crossover and the down grade

Paul talked about getting offers for cruises not selling well... Well when a cruise is selling very well ro is sold out ot over sold, you might get an offer to take another cruise later and get a huge cabin up grade....I have seen ocean views get up graded to Penthouse If they agree. O picks the cruise and time when they make the offer...fro a specific cruise swap.

The other is a" down grade." This is when they have a huge demand for your cabin type and are willing to compensate you real savings and benefits.

I have seen a penthouse passenger get offered a B4 veranda and a refund the passengers full cruise fare !!! ( Thats you move out of your penthouse for a free cruise in a veranda cabin !!!) This happens too

So be open for both of these options and let your Agent know you flexible.

If doing your own air its best to book with FF miles not $

It is worth pointing out, that if one is seriously contemplating/ hoping for a "move off " (the option where one switches away from the sold out cruise) using Oceania Air is the way to go.

If they do reassign the voyage, they adjust the air gratis, and the process is absolutely seamless. :D

The one time we took a "move off" offer we had already purchased our air for an Alaska cruise leaving from Vancouver. We took somewhat of a loss on that but were able to change our air reservations to a round trip NY-LA which enabled us to have a last visit with my mother before she died.

If we'd taken any other such offer, we wouldn't have been able to do anything like that ... money down the drain in that case. So Stan's point is something I'm going to remember!

Mura

It is worth pointing out, that if one is seriously contemplating/ hoping for a "move off " (the option where one switches away from the sold out cruise) using Oceania Air is the way to go.

If they do reassign the voyage, they adjust the air gratis, and the process is absolutely seamless. :D

Yes, I was going to mention this. There have been a couple of times that we've got very nice move off or move over offers but decided against it as we had our own non refundable, or large change fee air plans. If we had opted for Oceania air on those, changing could have been very easily done. I'm sure we would have taken the offer.

Of course I'm not going to make my decision on whether to use Oceania air or not on the outside possibility that I might get a offer that I may or may not like. There are quite a few factors involved.

You make a very good point though.