Advise Needed on Port Excursions in Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize

DawnyB72

We are sailing the Norwegian Getaway May 20 - 27 and in need of advice on the best shore excursions for the ports of Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. We are traveling with 3 young adults ages 19 - 21 and enjoy active activities. Any suggestions?

Costa Maya is close to several excellent Mayan ruins, Chocchoben is the most well traveled. Dzibanche and Kinichna are much better if you want a more private feeling.

Cozumel: Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab National Reef Park

Call them to ask questions and book, I ended up getting a two for one, so it was cheaper than just swimming with the dolphins.

You will gear up and scuba across the open water lagoon to where they keep the dolphins and then dive with them and a trainer. You are allowed to bring your own underwater camera and they will take pictures for a small fee as well. After your dive with the dolphins you will scuba back to the beach to offload your gear. Max depth is about 30 feet, total dive time about an hour. After years of trying this single tour convinced DW to get certified. This is different than the in town dolphin encounter.

Belize depends on which port. From Belize City you can go inland for the beautiful mountains and jungle, or you can go snorkeling at one of the cayes. Some of the best water activities in the world can be found in Belize.

Can't help with Honduras.

We are sailing the Norwegian Getaway May 20 - 27 and in need of advice on the best shore excursions for the ports of Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. We are traveling with 3 young adults ages 19 - 21 and enjoy active activities. Any suggestions?
Depending on your age. We are an older couple and when we went to Roatan we used Victor Bodden Co.. They gave us a private tour of the island and stopped at a elementary school for us. We handed out Hershey Kisses to the students. It is a 3-room cinder block School. Very very poor. We are returning in one month with a tub of school supplies, medical supplies, lollipops , etc. For the two Mexican stops (Costa Maya and Cozumel), Mayan temples are interesting (Kohunlich and Tulum respectively). In Cozumel there is a submarine you can go on that takes you down about a hundred feet to the coral reef. Everyone has their own window. Very cool. Haven't been to Harvest Caye yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Roatan: Little French Key was a lot of fun https://www.littlefrenchkey.com/

Costa Maya - we loved our Chocchoben tour with Native Choice https://www.thenativechoice.com/

Cozumel - We loved Mr. Sancho’s http://www.mrsanchos.com/

To see our Western Caribbean cruise trip review with pictures https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516206

Hope this helps!

Little French Key in Roatan is my favorite shore excursion anywhere. It’s an amazing, relaxing, really fun day. If you’re interested in the ruins, the best tour I’ve done in Costa Maya is with Native Choice. Phenomenal guide. And a better price and much smaller group than the ships excursion. For a beach day, Maya Chan is awesome. Everything is included, and the lunch buffet is great. And by far my favorite way to spend the day in Cozumel is the Cozumel Bar Hop. It takes you to 4 different beach bars on the uninhabited side of the island. Beautiful scenery, great guides and just a lot of fun. As far as Harvest Caye, I would just plan to spend the day there. There are a few excursions now, I think, but they’re very overpriced, and Harvest Caye is quite a long way from the mainland.

Don't go on NCL's island tour in Roatan - boring, bumpy, not much to see.

Costa Maya - just enjoy the area off the ship. Try the "Fish Spa." We loved that.

In Cozumel, if you go to the Chankanaab park, go on your own early, beat the cruise ship tour crowds and sign up for the Manatee Encounter. Best thinkg ever!!

for Roatan I would suggest either Bodden or Rony. They are very similar but Rony is slightly cheaper. Both will design the tour to your liking. I am always surprised when I see someone comment on the roads or how boring Roatan is. Most people consider it one of the best ports offered. Yes, the roads are not the greatest, bu it is a poor and somewhat remote island.

Cozumel, there are so many wonderful things to do, you might be better off to visit the "ports of Call" forum to get ideas.

Belize, not my favorite port so can't really advise.

Costa Maya: we like either the ruins or Maya Chan. These are just a few ideas, I am sure you will get a lot more. We have done the western route maybe 6 times at least.

Costa Maya - run fast through the horribly touristy trappings of the shops around the port, and take the shuttle to Mahahual. Enjoy a more authentic Mexican village. The beach clubs offer kayak & snorkel rentals.

Cozumel - snorkeling for sure! We went with the clear bottom kayak & snorkeling tour through the ship, which took it us to Playa Uvas. We loved it.

Harvest Caye (if that’s where you’re going in Belize) - just kick back on the beach. Ziplining looked fun. Do not waste your money renting any water sports stuff in the lagoon. It’s a very small, boring lagoon with nothing to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a link to the Roatan port of call board.

You will find excellent suggestions.

If you like snorkelling, you will want to go to West Bay. Perhaps a day pass to Infinity Bay. A read through here will give you lots of info. I went to an AI in Roatan Christmas 2016. It was my favourite vacation of all time, hands down. We stayed at Infinity for a week. I loved it, and I can't recommend it enough. Beautiful, serene beach and you can snorkel right from the beach, the reef is that close.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

http://www.infinitybay.com/