Benefits to Having a Valid Passport

Hlitner

I think geography can play a role for some people. It's easy for anyone in mainland Europe to go to another country--they can usually reach another country in a matter of an hour or two. And there are cheap flights and easy train rides available, so it'd be pretty weird to come across someone who'd never gone across the border. I have family in the UK; one aunt and uncle take an annual trip to Austria. Others will just "drive to France" for a week. Or whatever. It's no big deal.

EU citizens don't need a passport to travel within the EU. It is no different than going from state to state in the US.

At most, their national ID card will be enough.

But I do find that Europeans (my SO is European) more likely to travel outside the EU that Americans outside the US.

My SO's daughter and BF are going to Thailand for 2 weeks, as otherwise, they would have to pay for a full month for their flat (apartment) in Dublin for those 2 weeks, as his job is taking them to the Netherlands for the next 2 years.

Just to add another thought. DW and I grew up in families that never traveled, not even in the US much less out of the country. A visit to TJ from SAn Diego should not count. When we got our first passports in 1976 to go on a trip to Europe it seemed like a very exotic document. You used it on a regular basis, crossing borders and changing travelers checks into real currency in each country. Remember that was pre EEC, euro or Schengen. I always felt my fellow Americans lived without passports because the US as well as Canada and Mexico afforded us so many potential travel options that for the great majority a passport would never be needed. To some degree that remains true as we still have lots to see and do domestically. On the other hand I would never be without a valid passport, I can travel anywhere on short notice and I carry it with me even when traveling by air domestically as a form of ID. Should everyone have one? Not necessarily, but if travel is on your agenda then the answer is yes.

I guess its a case of someone being an adventurous traveller....I know that even if I lived in the US travelling around the states and doing closed loop cruises would not be enough for me.

As a European my passport is gold to me. The biggest benefit of a passport is seeing the world.

I really find it hard to understand why people who have the means do not get one. Whats £100 or so when it lasts 10 years and you get so many experiences. You spend that on an excursion or a few meals out.

Also international travel can be cheaper than thought.

Edited by Velvetwater

I guess its a case of someone being an adventurous traveller....I know that even if I lived in the US travelling around the states and doing closed loop cruises would not be enough for me.

As a European my passport is gold to me. The biggest benefit of a passport is seeing the world.

I really find it hard to understand why people who have the means do not get one. Whats £100 or so when it lasts 10 years and you get so many experiences. You spend that on an excursion or a few meals out.

It's not so much being an "adventurous traveller" as being reasonably cautious if you ever plan to leave the US on a closed loop, as well as keeping yourself open to possibilities which may arise on short notice. The annualized cost of perhaps $12 could be covered by giving up a few coffees, two McDonalds "meals", one movie with popcorn, or for those who rarely think about out of pocket expenses - one or two packs of cigarettes.

While I agree about seeing the world being a priority for me; it really is a different attitude here than Europe I think. I’ve just met so many people that have never considered leaving the US and a closed loop cruise is ‘adventurous’ to them. We are just a bit isolated with not having other countries a train ride away and not having as much of a multi cultural environment. Very few people speak a second language. The idea of building a wall to keep foreigners out is apparently popular enough to get you elected. We really truly have lost out ‘immigrant melting pot’ roots. So the culture is night and day from Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I agree about seeing the world being a priority for me; it really is a different attitude here than Europe I think. I’ve just met so many people that have never considered leaving the US and a closed loop cruise is ‘adventurous’ to them. We are just a bit isolated with not having other countries a train ride away and not having as much of a multi cultural environment. Very few people speak a second language. The idea of building a wall to keep foreigners out is apparently popular enough to get you elected. We really truly have lost out ‘immigrant melting pot’ roots. So the culture is night and day from Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The United States is a very large country. Much larger than many European countries combined. The states are similar in size to many countries in Europe. And, in many ways, each state has it's own character, much like each country in Europe does. They all speak the same language, but regional or state accents are prevalent, and in some cases, sound almost like a different language. For many residents of the US, traveling around the states is just as interesting and diverse as traveling to Europe. I can't blame them for wanting to enjoy everything their own country has to offer instead of venturing off overseas.

Having said that, I have been bitten with the foreign travel bug. I have visited more foreign countries (44 to date) than states in my own country (32). I am grateful to be able to visit almost anywhere, states or countries. To me, a passport is priceless.

high-resolution-map-of-usa-superimposed-over-europe-28-on-with-map.jpg

EU citizens don't need a passport to travel within the EU. It is no different than going from state to state in the US.

At most, their national ID card will be enough.

But I do find that Europeans (my SO is European) more likely to travel outside the EU that Americans outside the US.

My SO's daughter and BF are going to Thailand for 2 weeks, as otherwise, they would have to pay for a full month for their flat (apartment) in Dublin for those 2 weeks, as his job is taking them to the Netherlands for the next 2 years.

Not entirely true. We don’t have national ID cards in the UK. Shengen exists across Europe so you tend to travel cross border with no passport controls but try flying in and out of the UK without a passport, you would be in a world of pain!. Quite rightly too.

Not entirely true. We don’t have national ID cards in the UK. Shengen exists across Europe so you tend to travel cross border with no passport controls but try flying in and out of the UK without a passport, you would be in a world of pain!. Quite rightly too.

I am curious about the border crossing - I've noticed when arriving at a Shengen airport that there are different lines for Euro citizens and others. Are you saying that the authorities just take your word for it that you are Shengen and therefore you choose to sail through the Euro lane and show nothing?

I am curious about the border crossing - I've noticed when arriving at a Shengen airport that there are different lines for Euro citizens and others. Are you saying that the authorities just take your word for it that you are Shengen and therefore you choose to sail through the Euro lane and show nothing?

Id is required. Passport or national identity card.

So then, within Shengen Euro citizens still have to show something: passport or recognized national ID card - which seems to mean that there still are border controls -- what real difference is there between showing a passport or a national ID card? Granted, the lines might be shorter.

So then, within Shengen Euro citizens still have to show something: passport or recognized national ID card - which seems to mean that there still are border controls -- what real difference is there between showing a passport or a national ID card? Granted, the lines might be shorter.

In general land borders between Schengen countries have been open with no checks made when crossing. That was the whole idea behind Schengen...freedom of travel within the Schengen area, much like the freedom of travel within the US.

You have to have proper ID should officials wish to check, but normally there have been no land border controls or checkpoints. I understand that recently some countries have reinstituted border checks with certain other countries due to fears of terrorism and concerns about refugees who have managed to illegally enter some Schengen countries.

Edited by njhorseman

That's because the UK is not, and never has been a Schengen participant. Hence passports are required. Too many people use the terms EU and Schengen interchangeably, but they're not and never have been. There are EU countries that are not Schengen participants and Schengen countries that are not part of the EU.

Less than 2 days of drinks package, spread over 10 years. :D

Yes, MANY people just assume that international travel is more expensive.

I have had many super deals on international travel. Some short notice, some longer notice.

I am booked to Europe in May. Round trip is about the same as a round trip to visit a friend in Dan Diego (from DC area). And many times, quality hotel rooms are cheaper in Europe.

Cheapest was Athens, Greece, from DC, for $240 ROUND TRIP. On a major carrier. JUMPED on that one.

The idea of building a wall to keep foreigners out is apparently popular enough to get you elected.

The wall is not to keep out legal travelers. Or legal immigrants.

And Europe is building walls and fences to keep out Syrian refugees that are flooding Europe and want to convert European countries to Sharia law.

The United States is a very large country. Much larger than many European countries combined. The states are similar in size to many countries in Europe. And, in many ways, each state has it's own character, much like each country in Europe does. They all speak the same language, but regional or state accents are prevalent, and in some cases, sound almost like a different language. For many residents of the US, traveling around the states is just as interesting and diverse as traveling to Europe. I can't blame them for wanting to enjoy everything their own country has to offer instead of venturing off overseas.

Having said that, I have been bitten with the foreign travel bug. I have visited more foreign countries (44 to date) than states in my own country (32). I am grateful to be able to visit almost anywhere, states or countries. To me, a passport is priceless.

high-resolution-map-of-usa-superimposed-over-europe-28-on-with-map.jpg

I would agree, but many of those people rarely travel outside their home state.

And what amazes me is locally in MD, people spending their summer vacation at Ocean City, and spending more than it would cost to do the same amount of time in Hawaii. REALLY??? You would pick OC over Waikiki???????????? :D

I am at 46 states visited.

And 140 (141 in April) countries visited. So similar percentages (92% versus 84%), depending on how you count countries.

The wall is not to keep out legal travelers. Or legal immigrants.

And Europe is building walls and fences to keep out Syrian refugees that are flooding Europe and want to convert European countries to Sharia law.

Governments have built walls for thousands of years. It's unfortunate that subsequent generations don't learn from history. Notable examples of failed walls include Hadrian's, Great Wall of China, and Berlin (a reverse wall).

I truly don't understand the conviction that refugees are bent on imposing a legal system they are fleeing. And it truly amazes me that some believe a small minority could impose an entirely new legal and political system.