Benefits to Having a Valid Passport

Hlitner

The Passport topic is often discussed here on CC among mostly US Citizens who are permitted to take some cruises ("closed loop) without a valid Passport. Most frequent travelers recommend having a valid Passport, but there is resistance among many Americans because of the cost. Today I came across an interesting web article about some benefits of having a Passport which I will admit never occurred to me:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/features/the-benefits-of-a-passport.html

Just some fruit for thought. And by the way, it looks like the cost of Passport Execution Fee is increasing, effective April 1, 2018, by $25-$35. This Execution fee generally applies to only those obtaining a Passport for the first time, or replacing a lost/stolen Passport.

Hank

The Passport topic is often discussed here on CC among mostly US Citizens who are permitted to take some cruises ("closed loop) without a valid Passport. Most frequent travelers recommend having a valid Passport, but there is resistance among many Americans because of the cost. Today I came across an interesting web article about some benefits of having a Passport which I will admit never occurred to me:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/features/the-benefits-of-a-passport.html

Just some fruit for thought. And by the way, it looks like the cost of Passport Execution Fee is increasing, effective April 1, 2018, by $25-$35. This Execution fee generally applies to only those obtaining a Passport for the first time, or replacing a lost/stolen Passport.

Hank

As a point of clarification the processing fee is increasing $10 from the current $25 to the new $35.

Interesting points but I don't think the passengers who look for lowest price and specifically pick closed loop cruises will really care much about how others preceive their not having a passport. Some defend not having one as they don't want to "waste" years of validity.

Many posters here support having a passport as it allows international air travel should there be a need to fly to the next port or to go home early. Then, last fall, a member posted his story here where he had no passport but had to fly home due to a medical situation. The result? No problem! A chat with Mexican immigration and some help from the port agent got them on their way.

Thread here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2544751

Now not every situation works out that way but by reading his post I got the impression, "No passport? No problem! We'll get you on your way home!"

Interesting points but I don't think the passengers who look for lowest price and specifically pick closed loop cruises will really care much about how others preceive their not having a passport. Some defend not having one as they don't want to "waste" years of validity.

Many posters here support having a passport as it allows international air travel should there be a need to fly to the next port or to go home early. Then, last fall, a member posted his story here where he had no passport but had to fly home due to a medical situation. The result? No problem! A chat with Mexican immigration and some help from the port agent got them on their way.

Thread here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2544751

Now not every situation works out that way but by reading his post I got the impression, "No passport? No problem! We'll get you on your way home!"

They had passport cards:

"We have Passports and Passport Cards, but our Passports had expired a month before and we didn't notice until a week before".

That is what helped them get home. Without that backup document, their situation may have been quite different.

how much does it cost for a US passport?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/fees.html

According to that site $110 US + 25 execution fee. Renewal costs the same but no added fee. Passport is good for 10 years. Amortization- $11-13.50 per year.

Pretty cheap compared to the overall cost of a cruise. Waiting for someone to complain they could buy X number of drinks at the Sunset bar for that. But if some Americans are happy to restricting their international travels to only closed loop cruises from US ports, that's their prerogative.

According to that site $110 US + 25 execution fee. Renewal costs the same but no added fee. Passport is good for 10 years. Amortization- $11-13.50 per year.

Pretty cheap compared to the overall cost of a cruise. Waiting for someone to complain they could buy X number of drinks at the Sunset bar for that. But if some Americans are happy to restricting their international travels to only closed loop cruises from US ports, that's their prerogative.

That is a really good price! Ours costs $160 for a 10 year passport.

Lets face it, with out a passport it limits where you can cruise. Why not have one?

I think this hits the nail on the head a bit. There are two mindsets when it comes to planning a trip.

1. I enjoy traveling and interested in exploring new places

And

2. I’m new to traveling and unsure if I’ll have the time/money to travel in the future and/or desire to travel to new places

The first person most likely sees value in a passport and isnt intimidated by the upfront cost since it can be used for so long. The second person doesn’t know if they will ever take a trip again outside the US and the extra $140 or however much per person, especially if they are a family with kids; is a significant and perceived unnecessary expense.

I’m in the first group, but I’ve been traveling internationally since I was a teenager. Many people I know (including my boyfriend, until he met me) are not travelers. They have no interest in traveling internationally. Many are single parents with kids and renting a house for a week that they can drive to is all they can afford most years for vacation. Once or twice they may come up with the funds and desire to take their kids on an inexpensive cruise. But they idea if ‘traveling internationally’ doesn’t even cross their minds. I get why they don’t get a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this hits the nail on the head a bit. There are two mindsets when it comes to planning a trip.

1. I enjoy traveling and interested in exploring new places

And

2. I’m new to traveling and unsure if I’ll have the time/money to travel in the future and/or desire to travel to new places

The first person most likely sees value in a passport and isnt intimidated by the upfront cost since it can be used for so long. The second person doesn’t know if they will ever take a trip again outside the US and the extra $140 or however much per person, especially if they are a family with kids; is a significant and perceived unnecessary expense.

I’m in the first group, but I’ve been traveling internationally since I was a teenager. Many people I know (including my boyfriend, until he met me) are not travelers. They have no interest in traveling internationally. Many are single parents with kids and renting a house for a week that they can drive to is all they can afford most years for vacation. Once or twice they may come up with the funds and desire to take their kids on an inexpensive cruise. But they idea if ‘traveling internationally’ doesn’t even cross their minds. I get why they don’t get a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had relatives and close family members who traveled internationally for both business and pleasure. We always had valid passports available in case we were invited to join them, or, heaven forbid, they had a serious accident and we needed to travel immediately to be at their side. Fortunately, the later never happened, but happily the former did. On a whim, we joined friends on an amazing two week visit to Egypt in 1984 that we never would have considered on our own. That ignited our passion for travel, and to date we have visited over 40 countries on 6 of the 7 continents. All made easier because we already had passports "just in case". An original investment that, even though it wasn't absolutely needed at the time, has paid off in spades since.

Back in high school, there was opportunities for being a foreign exchange student. None of my friends even considered the possibility because we didn't have passports, didn't know anyone with passports and didn't even know how to get one. In my mind, passports were for the wealthy or business executives who traveled overseas. So, none of us even considered exploring the possibility. I wonder now if we had child passports would that have opened our minds to just attempting an application.

One benefit of having a passport, my SIL just took advantage of. She had flown to Hawaii from South Dakota to visit family. On her first full day there, the car was broken into and her purse was stolen, including her drivers license. She immediately contacted her best friend, told her where to find her passport, and had it mailed to her. Without the passport, and without her drivers license, it would have been extremely difficult to board a plane.

The amortization argument only makes sense to those who like to travel internationally. And those people more than likely already own a passport.

There really isn't a good logical argument for those who do not travel internationally and only occasionally take closed loop cruises.

Then there's the cruisers that say they will ONLY use it for 1 cruise and that the cost is just too expensive for a 1x use.

Traveling 'internationally'? Any time you cross the border of the US you are traveling internationally. EM

Isn't a Caribbean cruise travelling internationally? Even closed loop cruises and people only using BCs? So the passport shy are still travelling internationally. And having a passport would only help them should an emergency happen.

Glad it all worked out but I never leave a purse in the car, ever... in view, out of view, in the trunk. It's not safe.

Just my opinion. :)

Generally speaking, she doesn't either. But they had pulled over at a lookout just to take a picture. They were only away from the car 3-4 minutes. Lesson learned, for all of us.

Generally speaking, she doesn't either. But they had pulled over at a lookout just to take a picture. They were only away from the car 3-4 minutes. Lesson learned, for all of us.

I am really sorry this happened. But it reminds me of when I was a kid (1970s), my step mom was talking to her friends on their front lawn. She put her purse down and during conversation, they walked into the back yard. She left her purse on the lawn and was HORRIFIED that it was stolen when she came back out front! Ah ... duh!

In Havana last year, a group of people went into a bar. A woman put her phone in a phone purse/holder on the table to 'hold' the table. It had Credit Cards, Money, Driver's License, all of her business info. & contacts in the phone. ALL went to the bar to get drinks and she was indignant that her phone was stolen while she was at the bar! Here's your sign.

That article is interesting. Many of the reasons boil down to, "people will be impressed by the fact that you have a passport". That's about the least effective motivation for me to get a passport, I'm afraid.

Everyone in my family maintains passports, because we travel internationally by air every couple of years, and we have relatives who live overseas.

The reasons I would give for having a passport are things like:

1. It makes it easy to take a spur-of-the-moment international trip to anywhere in the world, whether for business or pleasure.

2. It provides a redundant form of ID in case your primary ID is ever stolen.

3. As the REAL-ID laws go into effect, you can rest assured that a passport will let you board a domestic flight, regardless of whether your state drivers license complies with all the new rules.

4. It makes it really easy to fill out an I-9 (employment eligibility verification) if you get a new job, because that one document provides proof of identity, birthdate, and citizenship, all at once.

5. You can take your own passport photo, or have it taken professionally, so with any care, you can get a photo ID that's not as embarrassingly bad as the photo on a driver's license.

I'd say this list of benefits starts out pretty strong, but gets pretty weak very quickly.

That article is interesting. Many of the reasons boil down to, "people will be impressed by the fact that you have a passport". That's about the least effective motivation for me to get a passport, I'm afraid.

Everyone in my family maintains passports, because we travel internationally by air every couple of years, and we have relatives who live overseas.

The reasons I would give for having a passport are things like:

1. It makes it easy to take a spur-of-the-moment international trip to anywhere in the world, whether for business or pleasure.

2. It provides a redundant form of ID in case your primary ID is ever stolen.

3. As the REAL-ID laws go into effect, you can rest assured that a passport will let you board a domestic flight, regardless of whether your state drivers license complies with all the new rules.

4. It makes it really easy to fill out an I-9 (employment eligibility verification) if you get a new job, because that one document provides proof of identity, birthdate, and citizenship, all at once.

5. You can take your own passport photo, or have it taken professionally, so with any care, you can get a photo ID that's not as embarrassingly bad as the photo on a driver's license.

I'd say this list of benefits starts out pretty strong, but gets pretty weak very quickly.

Your main points are argued frequently (and sometimes forcefully) whenever this topic comes up, which is often.

I think Hank was just trying to inject a little humor into the mix.