Marano tips

garardo

From what I have read, the food and service is worth much more than the $ 50 surcharge. The gratuity can be added to the on-board account?

You answered your own question in your OP, it is a closely guarded secret and do not believe anyone on this board can answer that question. I do know that when the first specialty restaurant appeared on Celebrity, the entire amount went to the server but then the charge was no where's near what it is now.

You answered your own question in your OP, it is a closely guarded secret and do not believe anyone on this board can answer that question. I do know that when the first specialty restaurant appeared on Celebrity, the entire amount went to the server but then the charge was no where's near what it is now.

I remember the charge being somewhere between $10-$20. Our first experience with specialty dining was the SS United States on Infinity (sadly gone now). It was wonderful.

If you have OBC and add an additional gratuity in Murano or anywhere else on the ship it will be deducted from your OBC. If you have no OBC and add an additional gratuity it will be charged to your credit card on record. If you want to give an additional gratuity to a specific crew member it's best to hand them cash.

Importantly if you add the gratuity to the check it will be shared ‘ship wide’ whilst giving cash it will be shared by the Murano Team only.

On our last cruise we had the opportunity to chat with our server for a few minutes and we asked him why he serves in Murano and not the MDR. He said that even though he might make more money in the MDR he really enjoys serving and that the MDR is to get them in and get them out type of service. He wants to cater more to his guests and show them what professional service with a great attitude is all about.

I do not know if the tips are pooled in Murano or not. I will tell you that if they are not, the Sommelier makes a killing at his 18%. We never get out of Murano with a wine bill under $200.

We remember going to the SS United States for dinner for $30 a head and they had a harp player.

The menu has changed a bit over the years. One of the dishes I remember was the Sauteed Foie Gras with a ginger glaze. To have that with a glass of Sauternes was a bit of heaven.

garardo

Well tips are included in the price. They won't like working out of Sydney as we Australians are not a tipping nation. We pay the gratuities on the cruise. If Celebrity want tipping on the cruise they would need to charge extra up front gratuities in Australia. On one cruise we went on we gave our room steward a $100 tip and he rolled his eyes at us so never again

My wife and I sail in either Aqua or Suit class and eat mostly in the specialty restaurants even though we are assigned to the Blu or Luminae. We enjoy the excellent service. We learned that if you leave a tip on the bill it is shared by the specialty restaurant staff. You can reward the individual staff by cash which they get to keep. We always leave a tip on the bill and extra cash for the individual that made our evening special. We book the 10 dinner packages early and watch for special which reduces the cost to between $20 and $25 per person per meal. Everyone has a different opinion on tipping (no right or wrong) but we are from a culture that tips for exceptional service and leave a combined total of between $30 and $50. We tip the maitre'd and sommelier at the end of the cruise depending on the service since they are not part of the shared tips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Its OK if you have loads of money its great that you can afford to tip (and lets face it if its not over $50 they don't want it) though some people save for years to go on a cruise and just can't afford to be having their hand in their pocket all the time every time you buy something.

My wife and I sail in either Aqua or Suit class and eat mostly in the specialty restaurants even though we are assigned to the Blu or Luminae. We enjoy the excellent service. We learned that if you leave a tip on the bill it is shared by the specialty restaurant staff. You can reward the individual staff by cash which they get to keep. We always leave a tip on the bill and extra cash for the individual that made our evening special. We book the 10 dinner packages early and watch for special which reduces the cost to between $20 and $25 per person per meal. Everyone has a different opinion on tipping (no right or wrong) but we are from a culture that tips for exceptional service and leave a combined total of between $30 and $50. We tip the maitre'd and sommelier at the end of the cruise depending on the service since they are not part of the shared tips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Onboard Reflection now in a Sky Suite. The first night ten of us booked Murano for 50% discount or 2 for 1 which ever you want to call it. Our waiter Jorge specifically said not to add extra tip onto slip as he would not get it. We tipped in cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to ask...why do you need to know?

I have never even thought about the distribution of tips. It wouldn’t impact my enjoyment in Murano whatsoever.

Delicious food, great service and sharing a meal with friends, is my only focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree and I’ll go further by saying I don’t care about distribution on the entire ship. Too much concern and quite frankly most on this board don’t know how they are distributed.