Captain Peter Bos retiring in March

sppunk

Is Captain Mercer thre most senior captain in the fleet?

Capt. Simon Douwes (working out of Seattle), Capt. Edward van Zaane and, pretty sure, Capt. Fred Eversen all have him beat when it comes to seniority as a captain. But not by much! Capt. Mercer joined HAL as a captain in 1995

Peter Bos is my alltime favorite captain. He did such a wonderful job on Voyage of the Vikings a few years ago and tried oh so hard to get us into Greenland, keeping us informed every step of the way. He'll surely be missed, that's for sure.

Thanks for the information, Copper 10-8!

Of the 3 gentlemen you listed that may be the most senior, I wonder if Captain van Zaane is not the most senior. He was Master of Rotterdam V in 1996 when I first sailed with him. Captain Douwes was the 4th Officer on Prinsendam I during her unfortunate accident in 1980. He was Master of the Zaandam during her first Summer in service when I met him. Captain Everson: I do not know his history with HAL.

Thanks for the information, Copper 10-8!

Of the 3 gentlemen you listed that may be the most senior, I wonder if Captain van Zaane is not the most senior. He was Master of Rotterdam V in 1996 when I first sailed with him. Captain Douwes was the 4th Officer on Prinsendam I during her unfortunate accident in 1980. He was Master of the Zaandam during her first Summer in service when I met him. Captain Everson: I do not know his history with HAL.

This is the current captain seniority list (top six) until Capt. Bos retires on 28 March

1. Capt. Pieter Bos - withHAL since 1981; Capt. since 1991

2. Capt.Simon Douwes - with HAL since 1978; Capt. since 1993

3. Capt. Edward van Zaane - with HAL since 1981; Capt. since 1994

4. Capt. Jonathan Mercer - with HAL as Capt. since 1995

5. Capt. Fred Eversen - with HAL since 1982; Capt. since 1997

6. Capt. Albert Schoonderbeek - with HAL since 1981; Capt. since 1999

This is the current captain seniority list (top six) until Capt. Bos retires on 28 March

1. Capt. Pieter Bos - withHAL since 1981; Capt. since 1991

2. Capt.Simon Douwes - with HAL since 1978; Capt. since 1993

3. Capt. Edward van Zaane - with HAL since 1981; Capt. since 1994

4. Capt. Jonathan Mercer - with HAL as Capt. since 1995

5. Capt. Fred Eversen - with HAL since 1982; Capt. since 1997

6. Capt. Albert Schoonderbeek - with HAL since 1981; Capt. since 1999

Thank you, Copper but where are Captain Werner Timmers and Captain Henk Draper?, They have both been HAL Captains for many years.

• Like 1

Thank you, Copper but where are Captain Werner Timmers and Captain Henk Draper?, They have both been HAL Captains for many years.

Capt. Werner Timmers became a HAL captain in 2003 and Capt. Henk Draper in 2004, S7S. So not in the nineties and not in the top six like the first group of captains! :cool:

Congratulations to Captain Bos. We’ve had the privilege of sailing with him 3 times: Twice in Alaska and the last time in Antarctica.

He makes you feel like he’s found something really wonderful and can’t wait to show you. He tried to get us inside in Alaska and you could hear his disappointment when it was too foggy to get in where he wanted. He did get us to the lighthouse. And both times in Glacier Bay he would offer a bottle of wine to the first person spotting a bear feeding on the shore.

My reaction when I found out he was captain for Antarctica was “Captain Bos has the keys, and we’re going exploring”.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 3/3/2018 at 6:01 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

He makes you feel like he’s found something really wonderful and can’t wait to show you. He tried to get us inside in Alaska and you could hear his disappointment when it was too foggy to get in where he wanted. He did get us to the lighthouse. And both times in Glacier Bay he would offer a bottle of wine to the first person spotting a bear feeding on the shore.

My reaction when I found out he was captain for Antarctica was “Captain Bos has the keys, and we’re going exploring”.

Hello. Odd receiving reply for a 4 y.o. post, I know! Interviewed Capt Bos today for book I’m writing. I had found above prior to the interview, and I decided right away that I planned to quote it in the book (with proper attribution to you of course). Have to say after interviewing him, above certainly rings true even if I have never sailed with him. By the way, I read the quote to him over the phone and I sensed he “lit up.” Thx…Paul

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vidsmart said:

Hello. Odd receiving reply for a 4 y.o. post, I know! Interviewed Capt Bos today for book I’m writing. I had found above prior to the interview, and I decided right away that I planned to quote it in the book (with proper attribution to you of course). Have to say after interviewing him, above certainly rings true even if I have never sailed with him. By the way, I read the quote to him over the phone and I sensed he “lit up.” Thx…Paul

That’s really cool that got back to him.

Can you share a bit more about your book project? Is it about HAL, the Captain, or ?

On 2/27/2018 at 7:23 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Awesome Captain and human being! privileged to have worked for him on Volendam in 2011; He will be sorely missed by his loving crew! Hope they order a limo for him and his wife as they disembark Noordam in Sydney, NSW one last time on 28 March. Enjoy your retirement Kaptein!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5093/5456373121_556748b955.jpg

Hello. Resurrecting this 4 y.o. thread to say that I am doing a feature on Captain Bos for a book I am writing and was wondering if I could get your permission re using this photo? Also you mentioned having worked with him. Would love to get a quote. Sorry I don't see how to reach out privately. Thx...Paul

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That’s really cool that got back to him.

Can you share a bit more about your book project? Is it about HAL, the Captain, or ?

It is my 3rd nonfiction book about the joy we all share for cruising. Not HAL specific. Dont want to violate forum rules are advertising. you can google name in avatar. Thx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vidsmart said:

It is my 3rd nonfiction book about the joy we all share for cruising. Not HAL specific. Dont want to violate forum rules are advertising. you can google name in avatar. Thx

It;s great that you're doing that, thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vidsmart said:

Hello. Resurrecting this 4 y.o. thread to say that I am doing a feature on Captain Bos for a book I am writing and was wondering if I could get your permission re using this photo? Also you mentioned having worked with him. Would love to get a quote. Sorry I don't see how to reach out privately. Thx...Paul

In case you see Copper posting somewhere else, you should approach him, I know he has more pictures, because he might miss this post.

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, vidsmart said:

Hello. Just wanted to share that I will be meeting Captain Bos for lunch tomorrow. Will be sharing a draft of his feature which includes your quote. As mentioned, I had previously read it to him over the phone. Thx

On 5/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, vidsmart said:

Not sure what the status is but Copper has an email link in his signature if you need to email him for permission.

Roy

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Not sure what the status is but Copper has an email link in his signature if you need to email him for permission.

Roy

On 5/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, vidsmart said:

Oh  @Copper10-8!

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, vidsmart said:

Not a problem on my part Paul. Having said that, I got that pic from Flicker so I'm not sure who the original taker of the pic was. Good luck on your book! BTW, it is officially Pieter, not Peter, Bos. Here is another one/pic from Captain Albert's blog. He - Captain Albert - is easy to contact on the questions/answers part of that blog - https://www.captainalbert.com/captains-from-the-past/noordam-capt-peter-bos/

Bos, Peter – – Captain Albert's Blog –