Cruise Insurance Not Through Cruise Line

CruiseGal999

First ... I did do a search and there were TONS of threads, but none about insurance. Maybe too broad a search subject?

Can cruise insurance companies be recommended or discussed on CC?

If yes, I would be interested in knowing what companies people use. I don't want to go through the cruise line. I think I can get better insurance from an independent company.

Also, does insurance have to be purchased same day you book the cruise? My deposit due date is no later than tomorrow ... Tues. 3/6th. Thank you all. I do appreciate this!

I really recommend Travel Guard. A great company is truly measured by how they process claims. I helped a friend(had a last-minute health emergency) submit a claim. I told her that she better be prepared for a fight and a long wait. $10,000+ to Hawaii. I could not believe how cooperative they were. Paid her claim in just weeks. Any company can offer a great rate, but it really matters if they work well with you when you need it.

A coursory search will show you there are just a handful of major players SPECIALIZING this type of policy. All will give fast free quotes. Coverage being the same, cruise line prices on the high side

There is no one insurance nor one insurance company that works for everyone for many reasons.

We don't even use the same company all the time because sometimes our needs change from cruise to cruise or even based on where we are traveling or our age at the time of the cruise.

We use http://www.insuremytrip.com

It provides a nice search engine to find policies and to compare them.

Keith

I agree with the above posters as we always use insuremytrip and then choose the best plan for that specific cruise. That said, I have read that this private insurance starts to become almost cost prohibitive when you are a lot older and that the insurance from the cruise line is a better choice as it is not based on age. I have no idea of that "magic age" when things start to change, but it appears to be a gradual increase.

We have used travel guard several times. But we buy it through insure my trip . com and save about $75.00 for the same policy.

Thank you. I just got off of chat with insure my trip. They sent me 3 plans to compare. I've only scanned them quickly, but already my eyes are rolling. I hate & love insurance. I guess it's just like attorneys!

Ignore the vast number of MEDICAL issues that could keep you from cruising, just getting to the port is an obstacle course. Anything from a burned out idiot bulb in the airplane to weather grounding hundreds of flights. Had cruise out of Los Angeles day of massive wild fires. Departure delayed 5 hours due to hundreds stranded closed freeways. Had a cruise booked and everything set. Wife got hospitalized a week before the cruise. Four weeks later got a check for 100% of the cruise cost. I do not feel sorry for anyone not insuring themselves on a cruise.

Guest maddycat

I always buy our travel insurance through the trip insurance store. I call and speak to one of their agents to find the policy that meets my needs. I purchase the insurance soon after booking my cruise (with in 14 days) so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/