Which is better if prone to motion sickness - lower deck, mid ship or higher deck-aft

We have 2 people cruising with us on RCL Empress March 2019. Neither have sailed before and of course are concerned with motion sickness. RCL is also the smallest ship on the fleet. My husband and I have never had issues with motion sickness so no idea which would be better for them:

Deck 4 mid ship

Deck 8 or 9 forward or aft

They are booking solo inside cabins so we don't have a great deal of choices. I've always heard people say mid ship is better, but wondered about a higher deck?

Thoughts/comments appreciated! Want to make their 1st cruise a great experience!

FWIW, my girlfriend has problems with it on our first cruise, so for the second one she called up the doctor about a Scopolamine patch and had no problem getting one. Might be worth looking into, as once you're there, you're there.

I am also sensitive to motion and lower mid is definitely better. We were on the Empress many years ago and I had no problems...although I did have a patch too. Recently, we were in an aft room on Crown Princess. It was the biggest boat we’ve ever been on and even with a patch I was queasy the last few days. We probably won’t do an aft room again[emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From someone who has been VERY seasick (can't tolerate much motion in a car either)..........go with MID no matter what. Being forward on the ship is the absolute worst for me and where I can feel motion the most. I stayed Aft on a Disney ship, so not sure I can compare it to RCCL - I did feel motion, but it seemed like it was a different direction, so it didn't bother me....if that makes any sense.

As far as being high up, I always hear people say that you feel more movement the higher you go, but I cannot say I've been less seasick on a floor 6 balcony versus a floor 12 balcony. For me, the key is to have a balcony so that I can open it and feel air if I need to.

From someone who has been VERY seasick (can't tolerate much motion in a car either)..........go with MID no matter what. Being forward on the ship is the absolute worst for me and where I can feel motion the most. I stayed Aft on a Disney ship, so not sure I can compare it to RCCL - I did feel motion, but it seemed like it was a different direction, so it didn't bother me....if that makes any sense.

As far as being high up, I always hear people say that you feel more movement the higher you go, but I cannot say I've been less seasick on a floor 6 balcony versus a floor 12 balcony. For me, the key is to have a balcony so that I can open it and feel air if I need to.

This goes for me as well. I am very sensitive to motion and I can not sail without the patch. Always mid-ship and mid-deck for me.

I must be the minority, but for some reason being higher up doesn't affect me as much as the lower decks. There is NO WAY I would ever make it with an aft or forward cabin, regardless of deck level.

Agree...mid ship...lower the better.

Aft or forward of ship: Think seesaw....when one end is down, the other is bobbing up....then repeat.

Side to side: ...think top of a flag pole or tree...going to sway more on top than

the base.